News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:44:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle software problems  (Read 2700 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Castle software problems
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
When trying to download the logged data I get a "failure to parse the data" error.  the link appears to send and receive other setup data OK, however the PWM rate keeps resetting itself to outrunner mode instead of the selected rate.  This is all while connected to my 50A ICE ESC.

The latest version of the CastleLink software (3.30.3) has the download blocked by CC, even though all the web site links work.

I'm trying to separate out if I have a computer problem or a CC software problem.  BTW, I can get my field programming card to act as a USB converter, but it will not work as a programmer by itself.  I've contacted CC about this issue and haven't heard from them yet.

Curious to know if there's more info out there.

Thanks,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Castle software problems
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
John:
Russel Bond reported the same issue a little while back, I THOUGHT the word out was that Castle was supposed to fix the glitch?

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21296.0
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
Interesting.  The V3.29.0 download is also blocked.  I guess/hope someone is working on it.

Fortunately I'm using an FM-9 timer and the rpm is all I'm fiddling with at the moment, which seems to work OK.  I would liked to have the logged data from the first few flights, but I guess I'll fall back to the good old days of recording all the flight durations and mAh by hand on non-volatile (in the electronic sense) paper.

BTW, the Fm-9 has been a delight in homing in on the right flight speed, just making short flights and cranking the RPM up about 100 at a time.  Now up to the full set of tricks in one afternoon.  Great!

Thanks,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
I wasted several hours today with v 30.3    HB~> Freeze ups and frustration. Castle tech support told me  that  v 3.40 will be out in a couple of days.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
I rustled up the 3.29 version of Castle Link from my archives and installed it over the 3.30 version and everything appears to be back to normal.  I was able to download the logged data with no problems.  The reinstall did not require anything extra to do, the old version just installed and erased the new version.  Everything else seemed to work OK.

Note, I had not installed any new firmware, I am still on V 3.20.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: Castle software problems -- 3.40 now available
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41:55 PM »
I've gotten kind of gun shy, but I will download this and install it tomorrow.  Hopefully I can reload 3.29 if there is a problem.
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
What will CC 3.30 do for us in CL? Not sure what the reason for change is?

Best,         DennisT

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »
That was May 19th. Today is May 22nd. What's the word?

W
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
Just haven't gotten to it yet.  Ended up having some contract work that's interfering.  Real soon now  y1

john
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
 v3.40 released by CC on 5/18/11 . Anyone try it yet ?

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
C'mon...

Someone must have used this in the past cupla' weeks!

W.

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Ward
Works fine.  I updated my firmware to 3.27 flew 5 flghts and downloaded the data - no problems.  It seems safe to to jump into the water.

Norm

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
Thanks for being the guinea pig!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
HOT important update Castle software problems
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
Crist
Maybe I spoke too soon.  I just returned from flying and lost two FM-9 timers.  I was flying the #3 Sultan and had updated it to Castle Firmware 3.27 after six flights on the firmware the Ice ESC beeped 5 times for the cell count but not the tones for self diagnostic.  So I set the airplane aside and flew Sultan #2 one flight.  Sultan #2 failed the same way as Sultan #3.  Both Sultan ESC's where updated last night to 3.27.  I will need to replace two FM-9 timers and I have gone back to Firmware 3.26.  I will contact Castle to see if maybe the BEC circuit or something similar is blowing the chip.  I did check the BEC voltage and it read 5.01VDC as programmed but that is static under no load.

Norm

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
What 3.27?

I'm looking at 3.40.0 on their web site for download ????

Ward   ???

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
Ward
I guess you haven’t had time to read my cookbook.  Castle Link software 3.40 is used to access the ESC. Included in the Castle Link software is Firmware that actually controls the ESC.  The latest version of firmware is 3.27.
Norm

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
Thanks Norm.  I know you'll keep us posted.  Sorry about those timers.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: HOT important update Castle software problems
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Crist
Maybe I spoke too soon.  I just returned from flying and lost two FM-9 timers.  I was flying the #3 Sultan and had updated it to Castle Firmware 3.27 after six flights on the firmware the Ice ESC beeped 5 times for the cell count but not the tones for self diagnostic.  So I set the airplane aside and flew Sultan #2 one flight.  Sultan #2 failed the same way as Sultan #3.  Both Sultan ESC's where updated last night to 3.27.  I will need to replace two FM-9 timers and I have gone back to Firmware 3.26.  I will contact Castle to see if maybe the BEC circuit or something similar is blowing the chip.  I did check the BEC voltage and it read 5.01VDC as programmed but that is static under no load.

Norm

Norm,
 I am very interested in hearing what CC has to say to you.
From what I can tell, the Ice Lite 50  ESC is suspect.

Frank

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
Guys
Just had a e-mail exchange with Will Hubin.  Bottom Line First - he will replace the timers free of charge.  I know it is not his obligation but he wishes to do so.  Please keep this in mind next time you think about buying timers and programmers.
We both surmise that the problem is voltage spikes out of the ESC as the positive and the negative lead are the only thing that comes from the ESC to the timer.  The signal lead goes from the timer to the ESC.  I have contacted Castle Creations and as always they promptly replied that they will look at the problem.  I will let folks know what the final answer is from Castle.  To suppress voltage spikes Will Hubin is modifying his timer with a protective circuits and I should be receiving the new version of the timer this week for testing this weekend.  This problem really only affects CC ESC's as no timers with the onboard (FM-9R) regulator as use in the Schulze ESC has experienced any failures.

Norm

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
Norm,
Thanks for the update.  I'm having a hard time thinking that only a firmware upgrade to the ESC would cause the timers to blow.  Though I have seen stragne things from CC ESC's after a firmwre upgrade before! 

Wil Hubin is top notch concerning his products and their support.  I'm proudly using his timers and programming box and highly recommend them.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
Anything more from CC ?
When I spoke to  their tech dep't. last  week, I received a tepid response and  several benign suggestions.

Will Hubin, on the other hand, has bent over backwards to help .

I've packaged and returned  a new  ICE Lite 50 to Tower that I just got. In exchange, I'm purchasing a Phoenix 45. The only problem is that ESC is out of stock.

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Frank/Guys
The folks at Castle Creations tell me that they did not change the BEC Firmware for the last few years.   Additionally, Will Hubin and I, after considerable discussions have focused on the fact that all my failures occurred at start-up.  So we are thinking that the sparking during “Arming” could be the problem.  Not the sparking itself but the rapid charging of the capacitors in the ESC could give a high voltage spike to the timer.  As you said, Will is very proactive and he has sent me new timers with a spike suppression circuit to test.  I have received them and will be testing Friday.  I am not giving up my ICE Lite ESC as I think it is a very versatile ESC – It makes my power system come alive.  We, in electric stunt are going thru a tremendous period in the exploration of new (to us) technology and we are with the help and leadership of Will Hubin solving these little glitches.  I’m not going to change equipment; I think the problem will be resolved in little time.  So my action plan is as follows:
-   I will load the old version of the Firmware 3.26 and use Will’s new modified timer.
-   Then after establishing satisfactory performance with the 3.26 Firmware will change to the new 3.27 Firmware.
I will be posting results on Friday.  Hope this will help some.  I think Crist had it right – I’m the guinea pig.
Norm Whittle

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
Norm,
Thanks for working this problem.  I can't see where CC has not changed their firmware in several years.  Looking on their site says different, unless I'm missing something.  I'm using the same 5S batteries and ICE 50 lite ESC so I'm very interested in what's causing the problem.  BTW, I have about 50 flights on the Protroma so if it is a problem, it isn't very common.

Will is the best!

I've been the guinea pig before, I know how it feels.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Norm,
Check your email.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Yesterday I flew 11 flights with Firmware 3.26 and Will's new timer - All worked well.  This morning I flew Firmware 3.27 with Will's new timer design and all working very well.  Maybe it was time for two of my timers to kick the bucket.  But I think Will's new timer with a spike suppression circuit will be a improvement.  Crist cycled his timer 50 times - with 3.27 firmware and everything worked well.  Thanks for doing that Crist.

Norm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:42:50 PM by WhittleN »

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
Flew 6 flights today and had zero problems with the new software and Wills FM-9 timer.  Thanks for keeping us informed Norm.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
Crist
I flew 10 Flights today using 3.27 Firmware and Will's new timer - all is well.  What are the odds that two timers failed in less than an hour apart after loading new Firmware?

Norm

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
That's good news Norm.  I hear ya about the odds.  I see no problem why folks shouldn't update their software to the latest version.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here