News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:14:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Link set-up questions  (Read 431 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Castle Link set-up questions
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
This question is related to the Hacker A30-14L question.  Does anyone know the implications of defining the kV for the motor in Castle Link?  It seems to me that some of the info you put into the CL fields might not actually reflect parameters - kV being one - that get downloaded.  I know that it is useful to CL for some of the dialog and set-up recommendations, but for the actual operation of the ESC, it is not clear to me why the ESC would care what the kV actually is.  Obviously, if I cannot find out the exact kV for the A30-14L, then I would be inclined to use something like 850 for the kV data, and do some short duration runs to see if the motor operates as I might expect.

And, it won't hurt my feelings to be told this is a really dumb question, but I have a number of older motors that no longer have data sheets and the web has limited info.  With a Whatmeter and a tach and short runs, I might be able to figure out enough to make use of these older motors.

Thanks,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Castle Link set-up questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
I could be wrong and wiser heads will correct me but in the case of the Castle Creations ESCs (ICE and Phoenix) I suspect the the KV is used to allow the ESC to figure (calculate) the available overhead in governor mode. To properly work in governing the motor there must be sufficient additional RPM available. At least in the "Set RPM" mode the CC program will flag settings that are too high or too low for the ESC to perform proper governing function.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here