News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Link and Vista Home Premium  (Read 839 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Castle Link and Vista Home Premium
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:42:42 AM »
Anybody else using home premium and have problems installing Castle Link?  My Laptop says there are prgramme files missing and aborts the installation  HB~>
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
Re: Castle Link and Vista Home Premium
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:16:12 AM »
Go to the caslte website and download the latest castle link software.  It is Vista approved.  I believe it is version 3.161

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »
Anybody else using home premium and have problems installing Castle Link?  My Laptop says there are prgramme files missing and aborts the installation  HB~>

Castle Link uses the Microsoft .NET framework, and at least with Windows XP, .NET isn't already there by default.

Normally during the installation of the Castle Link, the installation detects whether you have .NET installed or not, and if not tries to install it. Then it continues and installs the Castle Link software.

Now I just did that yesterday on my Mac running VMware Fusion  which allows me to install Windows XP as a virtual machine. So it worked for me, installing .NET and then the Castle link (a relatively smooth installation).

However I stay away from Vista  HB~>! It is possible that Vista is saving you from yourself and bailing out on the .NET installation, but I am no expert (for sure  n~) on Vista.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »
For my Vista based machine, after I download the software I right click on the the file and click on "run as adminstrator".  Try that.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Wynn:
Had the same problem on my Vista machine; then did the "Run as Administrator" as Crist said - opened & loaded fine
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »
thanks guys - will try that when I get home - in the mean time - I have installed it on my work PC  n1   
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
Hi Guys I'm still using the V3.12 (beta) softwere ,  Have not up dated to the new soft were how is it doing ? the old V3.12 seams to work OK for me , and is the new C/C ICE ESC really better? or just more whistles and bells?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
I just received my Ice 50 lite---my impression is that it looks big compared to the Phoenix 45. I think that is just the thickness, which I am guessing is due to the switching BEC, which of course isn't relevant to our needs. The weight is suppose to be comparable to the 45, but .....

However If I compare it to the Phoenix 45 plus my Castle Creation Data Recorder, it is of course smaller.

Now I need to find out how to get my free Castle Link adapter board (about $24 value if you buy it separately). There is suppose to be a coupon in the package, but there wasn't one in mine. :'(

Looks like I need to make a phone call.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
Ha, Alan,

Got mine today too. It had the coupon and a code to use for Internet ordering the free USB adapter board. Mine is the 50 ICE with heat sink and weights exactly 2.00 oz (no plugs attached). One of my Phoenix 45s weights 1.30 oz with a Deans and three banana plugs. I'll have to carve off 0.7 oz worth of balsa from somewhere! LOL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:07:53 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
I just received my Ice 50 lite---my impression is that it looks big compared to the Phoenix 45. I think that is just the thickness, which I am guessing is due to the switching BEC, which of course isn't relevant to our needs. The weight is suppose to be comparable to the 45, but .....

However If I compare it to the Phoenix 45 plus my Castle Creation Data Recorder, it is of course smaller.

Now I need to find out how to get my free Castle Link adapter board (about $24 value if you buy it separately). There is suppose to be a coupon in the package, but there wasn't one in mine. :'(

Looks like I need to make a phone call.

Well one call, and a callback from CC, and my Castle Link is on the way!

Now to get to work getting the nose back on my Vector!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »
Larry,

I have been using the new firmware with no issues.  Most improvements had to do with the addition of the ICE controller, but the motor starting is vastly improved, the governor resolution seems to be better, and you have more selection for PWM rate which really only helps you if you plan to run low rpm.

Now, Crist has had issues and did some flight data testing showing that his motor and batteries ran hotter using the new firmware and I believe he was opting not to use it.  I haven't seen this problem yet and have updated alll of my controllers to the new firmware.  We flew the 6S Strega using it and it worked great.  I believe that my uncle Dennis' Hellcat, and Pathfinder are using the new firmware as well.

I hope to get some more flying with the ICE to see if there are any issues with the firmware that we need to bring to Castle's attention.

Take Care,

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana       
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
Well I have my new Phoenix 50 ICE and my new link adapter in hand. Now do I simply go to the Castle Link software program on my PC and allow it to update the firmware and software. Humm, will it still be compatible with my three Phoenix 45 ESCs as well as with the new 50 ICE. I seem to recall that some problems were encountered by others with updating and finding that they were not happy with the new version of the firmware/software. Let it be noted that I have not experienced any such problems but I would rather not encounter any now.

I guess maybe Archie can address this since he has been using the new ICE version.

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here