News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle ESC - Phoenix 35 new equivelent?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Castle ESC - Phoenix 35 new equivelent?
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Guys,
Castle has revised their ESC products since the last time I purchased one and I'm a little lost. I am looking to replace a Phoenix 35. What is the current equivalent model to the old Phoenix 35?

Best,      DennisT

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Castle ESC - Phoenix 35 new equivelent?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »
Pretty sure the do not have Edge Light models that match up to the old Phoenix 10, 25, or 35.  However the new Edge Lite 50A is pretty small/light.

PLAN B would be to look for Phoenix 35's on EBAY.  Not long ago I scored two new Phoenix 25's that way...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:42:14 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »
You see Phx 35's come up on RC Groups pretty often. You just have to be fast because the usually sell pretty fast if they are priced well. There is one here but its overpriced in my opinion http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2029456 The Edge Lite 50 would be the closest current equivalent. I read they through out November they are putting them at 40% off on their Web site on Sat Sun but its a limited number and they sell out fast. So be quick on Sat morning.
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
Guys,
I talked to Castle today and they told me that the new Talon 35 ESC fits the bill. It is lighter (about .98 oz with wires) than the Phoenix and has the Control Line programing included. These are simple controllers without the data login, but it you know what settings you want it should fit our needs and the price is about half that of the Phoenix series.

Best,          DennisT

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
That sounds good. You should find out if they will be part of the weekend sale.
AMA 98010

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
Guys,
I talked to Castle today and they told me that the new Talon 35 ESC fits the bill. It is lighter (about .98 oz with wires) than the Phoenix and has the Control Line programing included. These are simple controllers without the data login, but it you know what settings you want it should fit our needs and the price is about half that of the Phoenix series.

Best,          DennisT

I was just looking over the Talon programming guide, I did not see any mention of programming governor settings.  Maybe these only show-up with a Castle Link?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
Dennis,
I also looked over the guide and see nothing about a control line setting, however looking at the old Phoenix guide it doesn't mention the control line setting either. When I talked to the tech support at Castle he said the Talon has it the Thunderbird line does not. If it does it is great for smaller say 35 size ships and the price is $58 list and $50.99 at Tower, not bad. Maybe I didn't ask the right question of the tech guy, has someone tried this ESC?

Best,         DennisT

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
I opened Castle Link in demo mode and selected the Talon 35.  It looks like the Talon series has all of the same software options as the ICE series minus the data logging options.  I've attached a screenshot of the Castle Link interface with the Talon selected.  The Talon 15 looks like a good option for 1/2a sized electric stuff. Seems like a bargain at 7 grams and about 30 bucks for a full blown governing ESC.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:22 AM »
Thanks Jason for checking. The Talon series should work well up to about a 35 or small 40 size ship. Castle said it is just fine as long as the amps are less than 35. Good price too.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
Guys,
I just got off the phone with Bernie at Castle support, he confirmed that the Talon series does have the control line feature and is good up to 35 amps. For larger amperage we need to go with the Phoenix edge lite series.

One thing he mentioned that was interesting to me was to try to set the rpm at around 80 - 85% of the governing range. I was just under 70% (this is in the Castle Link throttle setting for "sets RPM" mode. He indicated that would have the motor running more efficient and have less amp draw for a given run time.

Best,       DennisT 

Advertise Here
Tags: ESC  Castle 

Advertise Here