News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:28:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Creations Field Link  (Read 3032 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Castle Creations Field Link
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »
I noticed that CC released its Field Link box for ~$30. This lets you adjust some of the Phoenix ESC parameter while at the field, without having a computer.

Unfortunately for me, and perhaps others, it doesn't allow you to change the Set RPM target value  :'( , so at first look, I don't think it is particularly useful to me.

However if you want to do things like adjust governor gain or motor timing, then that you can do at the field. You can even reverse motor direction if you decide to put that pusher prop on!

One positive is that it also acts as Castle Link connection, so if you don't already have a Castle Link to your PC, then this will work for that too. As I recall, the Castle Link itself was about $25, so in that context it is a pretty good deal.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Castle Creations Field Link
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
Just waiting for that to compare Jeti and CC for indoors (cc is smaller than jeti as far as I know) ... but as I see everything what I want set home is accessible on field, and everything what makes sense to do on field is not  HB~>

any chance to replace firmware? (some years later, I know  ;D)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »
In answering my question about the settable rpm for the governor mode, Patrick Castillo (from where CC gets its name) mentioned that they are coming out with some sort of alphanumeric display in the (near?) future. Since you need something to read off the rpm you are setting, maybe that will give the capability to set rpm at the field.

But who knows when that will be available. But I'll wait and see.

Right now the CC Set RPM mode has the capability to store 3 rpm values, depending on how the throttle is placed. I tend to use the JMP-2 timer which gives allows me to set a throttle ramp up so that I can have a take off rpm and a normal flight rpm (it takes a little trial and error to get this to happen at the right location---a lap or two before the wingover.

But I really have no access to the 3rd value--at least not as a way to have a "windy weather" rpm which is easily settable--with my JMP-2 timer.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »
Alan,

It would be nice if we could set the rpm switch based on flight time rather than throttle position. When using he throttle position for the shift how did you find the % to input? I have been using fixed rpm but after the KOI last week (18+ winds in the morning 25 later) I can see how an advancing rpm curve would be useful.

Best,             DennisT

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
Alan,

It would be nice if we could set the rpm switch based on flight time rather than throttle position. When using he throttle position for the shift how did you find the % to input? I have been using fixed rpm but after the KOI last week (18+ winds in the morning 25 later) I can see how an advancing rpm curve would be useful.

Best,             DennisT

For me it was a little trial and error. I set the initial throttle at ~35% (and get rpm#1), and the first flying time at ~20 s (these are from memory and may be slightly off). After 20 seconds the JMP-2 advances the throttle linearly towards 100% at the end of the flight. It crosses the 50% point somewhere on the 4th lap after takeoff and I get rpm #2. Since the throttle keeps moving towards 100%, I keep rpm#3 (for throttle ~100%) =rpm#2.

I know it sounds flaky, but it has been rock solid over two years now!

About using a time to switch throttle settings, what comes to mind is to talk to Will Hubin.

I bet he could come up with something that would let you fly for xx seconds on rpm#1, then depending on a switch or something, lets you jump to rpm#2 or #3. #3 could be a few hundred rpm higher than #2.

Of course another option is to re-pitch a prop to be a little higher. If it is a windy day, go with the windy weather prop.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »
Concerning the CC Field Link, does anyone know if they have come up with a way to reset the RPM in the ESC with the Field Link or is that still in limbo? I don't see that issue addressed in their Field Link specs in their WEB site.

Thanks, John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
If you do not have a notebook or laptop computer you can take to the field with you, you can use one of Wil Hubin's timers with the adjustable pots or the fm-9 timers with the digital programmer and set the rpm at the field that way.

bob branch

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
Bob,

Thanks, I know I can set three different RPMs (in the governor set RPM mode) and use my Hubin timer pot to select any one of them. That is in fact what I have been doing. It would, however, be nice to be able to make changes in those three RPMs in the field without dragging out my laptop and that is what I was hoping had been built into the CC Field Link.

I guess that is not the case.

John
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
John

If you go to governor mode instead of fixed rpm you can set any rpm within the limits of the steps of the tmer.

bob

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:59:32 AM »
Bob,

I guess I'll have to break down and spring for a few Hubin FM-9s and the programmer. Trouble is I have seven or eight of his other timers and they work perfectly.  HB~>  Maybe I can sell them on Ebay and soften the blow of buying the FM-9 programmer.  y1

John
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »
Good morning guys
I have one of the field programmers; by the way if you buy a Castle Creations ICE Lite 50 it has a coupon in it for the Programmer at reduced cost.  Unfortunately once you go to programming the ESC in "custom" like Governor Gain it takes that function away on the Field Programmer.  This goes for timing and all other “custom” functions.  The good news is electric airplanes don't drip much oil and you can take them to your study if you don't have a laptop computer.  But to get the most out of the ESC I found it necessary to look at the ESC functions on a computer with Castle Link Software.  (Version 3.27 latest).

Norm

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
With respect to Alan's suggestion that a timer could be programmed that would automatically switch between RPMs #1, #2, and #3 (in Castle Creation's Set RPM mode) so that the RPMs would increase during the flight, that wouldn't be too difficult to do. It is easy enough to select among the three RPMs with a timer because they are defined by the % of full throttle. (It might complicate the finding of an RPM that would serve as a warning at the end of flight time; currently I program RPM #1 if it is not in use and RPM #3 if it is.) It would take longer to make a timer that allowed one to switch on this automatic increase in the Set RPM mode only when desired, because it would require a new circuit board.

However, there is no reason why this automatic increase in RPM can't be accomplished in the governed mode of any of the ESCs that support it. In particular, that capability already exists in the FM-9 programmer, through the "Compensated Throttle" mode. It allows one to choose the desired % of throttle (in 1/2 of 1% increments or decrements in the latest firmware), from 15% to 100%, but it also allows the user to choose how much the throttle will be increased during the flight (originally designed to compensate for the decrease in power due to the battery voltage declining when using an ESC without a governed mode.) There are 16 choices to make when choosing the "compensated throttle" mode:

Choice      + at 30 sec      + at 1 min         + at 2 min         + at 3 min        + at 4 min        + at 5 min
    0                0                    0                     0                      0                   0                     0

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 09:12:46 AM »
Choice      + at 30 sec      + at 1 min         + at 2 min         + at 3 min        + at 4 min        + at 5 min
    1                 0                 0                      0                    0                    0                     1
    2                 1                 0                      0                    0                    0                     0
    3                 1                 0                      0                    0                    0                     1
    4                 0                 0                      0                    0                    1                     1
    5                 0                 0                      0                    1                    1                     1
    6                 0                 0                      1                    1                    1                     1
    7                 0                 1                      1                    1                    1                     1
    8                 1                 1                      1                    1                    1                     1
    9                 1                 1                      1                    1                    1                     2
   10                1                 1                      1                    1                    2                      2
   11                1                 1                      1                    2                    2                      2
   12                1                 1                      2                    2                    2                      2

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »
   13              1                    2                    2                     2                    2                     2
   14              1                    2                    2                     2                    2                     3
   15              2                    2                    2                     2                    2                     3

Each number represents the increase in throttle at that time in the flight, in increments of 1/2 of 1%, where that would about be 60 RPM for the popular Phoenix High RPM mode with the large Axi motor. Thus the maximum increment in throttle during the flight, for that mode, would be about 800 RPM.

Offline Frank Egyed

• New Pilot
  • AUS 12457
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »
Hi All
I'm not sure if this has already been covered and I couldn't find it, or if I should have started a new thread, but it does concern the CC Field Link so here goes...

Before I start let's make sure I'm doing this right - to use the field link I connect the 3 pins on the PCB/USB cable to the 3-pin plug from the ICELite50 ESC.  This is the same 3-pin plug which connects the ESC to the (Will Hubin) timer in flight.

If so then I'll be disconnecting that little 3-pin plug each time I want to look at the data, and wearing the pins/plug out, and potentially bending the pins and stressing the PCBs.

I'd like to be able to mount the field link PCB onboard (in parallel with the timer) and just plug the USB cable in.  Will this hurt or affect the timer?  If not, is there a "double-adaptor" or splitter lead I can buy, or will I have to make one up?
Cheers from down under,
Frank Egyed
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
Hi Frank
Castle sells a splitter like you describe (Castle Link Quick Connect)
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/quick_connect.html

Norm Whittle

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
I would check with Castle and explain exactly what you are trying to do before I connect two outputs (the Field Link and the timer) to one input ESPECIALLY if you also need a flight Lipo connected to get them to work -  there are possible interference issues when two outputs are hard wired to one input and the layout you propose would have the timer powered up whenever the Castle Field Link is powered by a flight battery.  So both units would be trying to communicate with the ESC at the same time and it is unknown how the ESC might be programmed to respond to this scenario.

It is possible that the ESC would respond only to the Field Link -- it is equally possible that having the two outputs both powered up at the same time would make neither one of them work correctly - again with unknown consequences.

I would certainly seek Castle's guidance on this - at least take the propeller off the first time you attempt it ..

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Here is what CC say in their ad for the splitter:

Experienced modelers go to great pains to tie down their servo and throttle leads, and some find unplugging a Castle controller from the RX disrupts all their work. Many have asked for something like a Y connector that gives an open lead for easy Castle linking, but a traditional Y harness doesn't work when the other branch of the Y is connected to an RX, the signal line must be disconnected from the RX.

Castle Quick Connect does just that. It detects the presence of a Castle Link adapter on the free lead and switches the controller's signal line from the RX to the Castle Link. Easy as that.

In this case, I take it that the timer would be disconnected since it is plugged in to the RX throttle connection instead of the RX.

Still would not hurt to check with CC about how this works.

John
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »
So it isn't a simple Y-adapter then. 

It should work OK if it electrically 'disconnects' the timer and 'connects' the Quick Connect.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Frank Egyed

• New Pilot
  • AUS 12457
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 03:19:22 AM »
Thank You Gentlemen for your most helpful and prompt advice...
It must be something in the air around flyers - (pun intended  ::) ) but some years ago I ventured into the world of online flight simulators (specifically WWII fighters) and was overwhelmingly impressed by how many people were prepared to help out a noob.  Sweet...
Frank
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here