News:

• April 15, 2024, 11:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Creations 75A Ice + Hubin timer  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Castle Creations 75A Ice + Hubin timer
« on: June 26, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
I am sure it is a setting in the ESC but not sure what.
At the end of the flight when the timer shuts down the power for a second as a warning of end of flight, my esc takes most of the remaining 5 seconds to spool back up and I’ve nearly landed by the time it powers back up.
I have it set for control line governor mode, fast start in the motor tab and strong braking. Both are numbered levels but I forget the actual numbers. Everything else shouldn’t have any effect on the restarting unless I messed something in the governor page.
Any other ideas? I’ll get back into it this evening as I’d like to have it ready for Thursday after work if the weather cooperates.
I do recall it has a rather slow spool up even on initial startup but I know I set it to fast start on the motor tab.

Matt

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Castle Creations 75A Ice + Hubin timer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
I double checked all the settings. I think it is in the software. I’ll call Castle tomorrow.

Matt

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 04:16:26 AM »
No, it has plenty of battery left. I’ve mostly convinced myself that it is a slow spool up in the governor software. This is the first Hubin timer I have used. If it is giving a signal that shuts down the esc rather than just a power reduction, it is likely reverting back to a cold start situation. If I don’t get too engrossed in my work today, I’ll give Castle a call at lunchtime.

Matt

For the record, I really don’t like the way any of the timers I’ve used give the warnings. I’d rather they pulse to full power rather than cut off. I’ve nearly lost one plane when it cut in a bad position.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »
If it is giving a signal that shuts down the esc rather than just a power reduction, it is likely reverting back to a cold start situation.

I THINK that is the case. I am not familiar with that timer and also not expert for CC esc, but that looks like the reason. Can you modify how deep goes timer "down" with power? Or can you set how low the ESC interpretes that low signal as a "stop"? I think there should be some options for that if it happens only to you and not to others.

For the record, I really don’t like the way any of the timers I’ve used give the warnings. I’d rather they pulse to full power rather than cut off. I’ve nearly lost one plane when it cut in a bad position.

I know why they are here ... because people simply call for them in imagination how good thing it is. I myself cannot imagine any power variations before landing ... also not down also not up. Higher power seems to be OK for first look, but it can cause low voltake or last piece of overheating and motor can stop and you will come to the same troubles :- )) Let stopwatches to measure time, not power train :- )))

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
I THINK that is the case. I am not familiar with that timer and also not expert for CC esc, but that looks like the reason. Can you modify how deep goes timer "down" with power? Or can you set how low the ESC interpretes that low signal as a "stop"? I think there should be some options for that if it happens only to you and not to others.

I know why they are here ... because people simply call for them in imagination how good thing it is. I myself cannot imagine any power variations before landing ... also not down also not up. Higher power seems to be OK for first look, but it can cause low voltake or last piece of overheating and motor can stop and you will come to the same troubles :- )) Let stopwatches to measure time, not power train :- )))

Actually, I’d rather see a bright enough LED strobe going off for several seconds to signal end of flight so no effect on power.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
What ESC did you choose in the timer program? Ice and Edge take different ones.

I don’t recall any options on the Hubin for what esc you’re going to use. Just turn the pots for power and time.

Matt

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm assuming you have a programming box? After flight time and start delay you have to choose an ESC setting.

Your timer should have come with an instruction sheet. If you look at the programming section items 5 & 6 explain which setting to choose.

For the Ice Lite I use the "Phoenix High RPM" selection.

If it's never been on a programming box it could be set for Jeti spin or who knows what.

I’ve never seen anything mentioned about a programming box for this timer. I’m guessing you’re thinking of the -9 Hubin that uses a separate programmer. I’m using the -2 timer, only basic pot adjustments.

Matt

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:49:06 PM »
Matt,
Have you looked in the ESC Settings forum?  You can fins some very useful info there.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
Matt,

Could you tell us how the ESC Governor was adjusted?

Rogerio.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
Matt,

Could you tell us how the ESC Governor was adjusted?

Rogerio.

Not exactly sure what you mean by adjusted.
I set it up with the Castle USB adapter.
It is set to control line governor high, gain is 7.
Don’t recall the other settings.

Matt

Offline Frank Egyed

• New Pilot
  • AUS 12457
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 12:52:15 AM »
I’ve never seen anything mentioned about a programming box for this timer. I’m guessing you’re thinking of the -9 Hubin that uses a separate programmer. I’m using the -2 timer, only basic pot adjustments.

Do you have 3 pots to adjust? RPM, FLT and DLY? My FM-2SR does and I prefer it over the FM-9 BECAUSE it goes to throttle setting 3 for 1 second, 5 seconds before cut-out.

So on the FM-2 RPM pot is set to 1, in Castle Link software tab "Throttle" Desired Head Speeds 1 is set to requirements (9400 in my case), and Speed 3 is 1,000 RPM more(10,400). So I get a 1 second burst of lean just before the end of the tank like my good old OS35 used to :)

Note - if you use throttle setting 3 by default, it will go to throttle setting 1, 5 seconds before the end.

"It is set to control line governor high, gain is 7."

Try Control Line Set RPM instead of Governor High - maybe need that to get the three throttle settings mentioned earlier??

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:28:02 AM by Frank Egyed »
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here