News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Creation Multi-Rotor 35 ESC  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Castle Creation Multi-Rotor 35 ESC
« on: December 31, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
Hello,
Castle Creation discontinued Quadpack Multi-Rotor 35 ESC (https://www.castlecreations.com/en/multirotor-35-quadpack), but this Quadpack is still available from private sellers via the internet.
The Quadpack has four 35 Amps. ESC that can be programmed using the Castle Creation Link USB programming kit.

Rogerio Fiorotti demonstrated that two Multi-Rotor 35 ESCs work with his active timer. They react to the signal from the accelerometer, changing the RPM of two motors.
A short movie showing this is available on the Forum.

It is not clear, though, how these ESCs were programmed to include the governor function.

When Multi-Rotor 35 is hooked up to the computer using the Link USB, there is no governor function available in the choices displayed.

Please see the attached.

Castle Creation customer support did not answer my email.
Thank you,
M

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Castle Creation Multi-Rotor 35 ESC
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
I fly racing multi rotors frequently. These are good, but outdated for multirotor use. With that, I'm just wondering if you need a firmware update. We use Blheli_s and Blheli_32 suite to program our ESC's now.
The third tab in the castle software is the firmware update tab. Maybe look into your revision number.

Btw, the test data showed amazing power potential from these ESC's. Hopefully you can get it working. It sounds like it would be exceptional for airplane use

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
In fact, here's a great article by Oscar Liang about those ESC's. He's a wealth of knowledge in the multirotor community

https://oscarliang.com/castle-creations-quadpack-25-esc/

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
Hi Dane,
There is no clear information how to program Castle 35 ESC to get the governor function.

This information should be available on the Castle Creation website but it is not...or I could not find it.

I will get my Quadpack Multi-Rotor 35 and Link USB soon and will test everything.
Happy New Year,
M

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 11:35:56 AM »
In the world of multi rotor ESC's, flashing software is pretty much an ongoing thing. Last revision of castle link was just in October. I can't say for sure I'm correct on this, but id highly recommend at a minimum to check your revision number.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »
Directly on that product page

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 02:55:26 PM »
Hello,
I have programmed two Multi-Rotor 35 ESCs using the Castle Creation v 4.14 firmware for use in the control line flying.
The governor function and the hard brake are active.

However, the governors in these ESCs do not work 100% as they should. 

Please see the attached.

I will play with the parameters accessible during programming and perhaps the voltage, current, power and RPM can be stabilized closer to the horizontal line.

Regards,
M

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »
Am I reading the graph correctly, where you're peaking out at 65a? It seems your continuous current draw is a little taxing for that battery.... any chance some fluctuation is caused by some sort of pack deterioration?

Also, when you note the governor's are not working correctly, your blue line indicates where you want to be but what stats should be represented by the blue line?

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
Hi Dane,
Even 100 Amps. is not dangerous for the battery. (4000 mAh / 1000) x 25 C = 100 Amps.
I have used this battery only eleven times, it was never abused below 3.7 V./ cell and never drained below 80% of capacity.

The blue line is where the averaged voltage should be during five minutes flight if the governor is working correctly.

Of course, there are other "blue lines" for the averaged current, RPM, and power, each one representing the governed parameter.

When the governor is working correctly, each of those averaged parameters changes around its blue line, but these lines are reasonably horizontal.

I hope that, by tweaking all available Multi-Rotor 35 setup parameters, I will be able to force the governors to work better and give me reasonably stable RPM.

If I cannot achieve this, I will shelf the Multi-Rotor 35 ESCs and come back to my Spin 44 PRO.

Thanks,
M

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »
As a battery manufacturer, I assure you, I fully understand the calculations. I'm asking you if that specific battery that you have has any signs of deterioration. I'd personally test.
Unless you know for a fact that the battery isn't the issue, then there's other things to look for.

Have you been able to log a Jeti or another brand for comparison also? The castle was basically an ESC protocol only capable of oneshot, but the power output was exceptional. Very high quality for current draw and low voltage loss.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 08:42:20 PM »
But I think I'm retracting my idea of it being voltage related. The graph is pretty consistent with rpm, voltage and current draw. I wonder if the active timer is "signaling" the rpm changes somehow? It's a steady climb, like you stated. But I don't know anything about the timer you're using. So perhaps someone familiar with that can help. I just know about the esc's you're using

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
Hello Dane,
I was testing and testing but got no improvement in MultiRotor 35 performance.
Please see the attached.

The battery I was using is 100% reliable. It holds storage voltage (3.81 V/cell) as it should, there is no sign of the storage voltage sagging below 3.81 V/cell after 30 days of storage, and the IR is acceptable.

I am using the Fiorotti active timer.

This timer works very well with my Spin 44 PRO ESCs.

Please see the other attachment.

The same battery for both tests.

Regards,
M

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 07:53:07 PM »
Wow that's a wild difference, my friend. So, my initial thoughts after seeing those two graphs are 1) what could cause such an enormous difference in current draw.  Well, maybe motor timing / motor pole count in the ESC program? Maybe double check that on the castle link.
2) Oh how I enjoy ESC info graphs.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here