News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle 45 "issues"  (Read 598 times)

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Castle 45 "issues"
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
I am having a couple of issues with my CC45.

1)   Motor start up in C/L mode is poor. I have tried many combinations of spool up speed and motor start power, but it does not start every time, and sometimes needs a flick to get going.
      Best results have been with slow or medium spool up. which seems sort of counter intuitive.
      Start up in fixed end point airplane mode is fine, which leads me to issue #2:

2)  After a bunch of false starts it started to work perfectly.
     Put it back on the Castle link and it had somehow reverted to airplane mode ??? Very weird.

Anyone else have starting issues? If not, what settings are you using?
I am just about ready to put in a Schulze if I can't get this sorted.

4S Lipo.
2826-12 Axi or  Turnigy SK3548 - 900
12 x 6 prop
CC45 with V2.00 firmware
Low governor mode
medium start power

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Alan Hahn

Re: Castle 45 "issues"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Here's what I have with v2.00 software (the parameters I think are relevant). Now I do get a little initial stuttering as the motor (Scorpion 3020) tries to find which way to turn, but no more than a second I think.

Throttle
Throttle response: 5
Governor Gain: 14
Initial Spool up Rate: 5
Head Speed Change rate: 2
Governor Mode Type: Fixed

Brake
Brake Strength: 100%
Brake Delay: 0.3s
Brake Ramp: Slow

Motor
Motor Start Power: Medium (59)
Motor TIming: Low (0)
PWM Rate 12kHz (default)

Software
Device Name: Phoenix-35/45 (F310)
Current Firmware V2.00 (Beta)

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »
Thanks Alan.
One difference is that I was at "Normal" timing. Switching to low did not make much difference. Also played with PWM, but that did not make any difference either.
Starts on its own about 1/2 the time. Other times it just squeels, shakes a bit and then the ESC gives up.

The other big difference is that you are running fixed governor, and I am running Governor low, which I don't want to switch from at the moment.

It could  be the way my timer ramps up from 1msec to the initial low target (for walking out to the handle).
A jump might be better in this case since the ESC is doing its own spool up.
I will have to hook a receiver up to check that out.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17:54 PM »
That's true, Mine is setup (with the fixed mode) to go to 7600 rpm once the ESC senses that the Timer is off "zero". So I don't see any timer ramp up at all. So I have 3 rpm settings--off, 7600 takeoff, and 8000 rpm (cruise).

Now prior to last year, I also used low governor mode, and I guess I remember a bit more stuttering, because then the timer was also ramping up. I also recall flipping the prop to get it moving too! Basically the ESC is trying to pickup the timing signal from a motor magnet passing the inactive phase of the motor, so the "stuttering" is trying to randomly rotate the motor a little to find that signal. A lower kV motor should have an easier time than a high kV motor--simply more loops of wire around the stator makes a better pickup.

I have read that the newest software has better starting algorithm than this older (2.00) version.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
I tried updating the Castle link on my shop computer and it failed. It keeps complaining that the "device plugged in is not a Castle Link" >:(
I will try it on this computer and see what happens.
MAAC 8177

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
I upgraded to V2.16. This is a one-way upgrade, no reverting back to older firmware so I was a bit reluctant. But V2.11 did not help.
V2.16 revision specifically mentions motor start up:

2.16     Beta     08/03/09     

* First public release of Phoenix ICE controllers
    * Added 'Outrunner Mode' PWM Rate to Phoenix 35 and higher controllers
    * Improved the performance of motor startup
    * Changed governor mode behavior - the governor will no longer lock at low throttle outputs

I am happy to report that the motor start is much better.
10 for 10 good starts ;D
No more prop flicking. Sticking your finger into a 500 watt motor system is an all around bad idea.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here