Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

CANT SAY I DID NOT TRY !!

(1/2) > >>

Vincent Corwell:
With the help of Frank Carlisle, Ron King and Sergio Zigras I built a ARC Cardinal,
full take apart , built up fuselage.  Ended up at 58 ounces, so I flew it anyway, 3 flights.

1.   68 foot lines, 4 second lap, way overpowered even at grossly overweight
   The take apart I used failed after 10 laps, so I nursed it in level flight
   until the timer shutdown
2.   Repaired the damage and flew again with the same result, this time
   the outboard wing parted from the fuse and floated away!! The inboard
   continued to fly level for me with nothing holding it into the fuselage!!
3.   I epoxied the whole mess into a one piece plane and flew one more time
   but the weight was now 66 ounces and stunts were not possible.

Throughout all this the power train / timer performed perfectly and I am now
building a larger lighter one piece plane

I am waiting for delivery of a JMP timer and would now like to a puter link
for programming these,   Ron ???

Axi 2826/10 motor
Castle 45 amp ESC
Castle puter link to program above
TT 4 cell 14.8 V 2100 amp x 2 batteries
Zigras timer
11 x 5 Wood Zinger prop

Vincent

Ron King:
Vincent,

Doggone. I didn't know Sparky set up a section for electrics over here. I just replied over on the SSW board.

Ron

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: Vee Cee on July 27, 2006, 01:34:47 AM ---With the help of Frank Carlisle, Ron King and Sergio Zigras I built a ARC Cardinal,
full take apart , built up fuselage.  Ended up at 58 ounces, so I flew it anyway, 3 flights.

1.   68 foot lines, 4 second lap, way overpowered even at grossly overweight
   The take apart I used failed after 10 laps, so I nursed it in level flight
   until the timer shutdown
2.   Repaired the damage and flew again with the same result, this time
   the outboard wing parted from the fuse and floated away!! The inboard
   continued to fly level for me with nothing holding it into the fuselage!!
3.   I epoxied the whole mess into a one piece plane and flew one more time
   but the weight was now 66 ounces and stunts were not possible.

Throughout all this the power train / timer performed perfectly and I am now
building a larger lighter one piece plane

I am waiting for delivery of a JMP timer and would now like to a puter link
for programming these,   Ron ???

Axi 2826/10 motor
Castle 45 amp ESC
Castle puter link to program above
TT 4 cell 14.8 V 2100 amp x 2 batteries
Zigras timer
11 x 5 Wood Zinger prop

Vincent

--- End quote ---

HI Vincent

If your  running  4 second laps  your  just   way  too  fast  not  way too much power,  Power  and  speed  are  2  very differant  things.  Maybe it would help to use a  12 x 4 1\2  or  12 x 4  prop   to slow  this  thing down.
By the  way  how  long does the plane  run  thru the flight?

Thanks
Regards
Randy

frank carlisle:
Hey Vince,
I just found your thread here.
First congratulations! on completing your electric model.
Secondly, bummer it didn't work as anticipated.
Third....Don't give up yet.

I've had some time to consider this and I have come to believe that the place we are going wrong is in trying to use traditional stunt designs with our electric components.
 We got too much drag and too much weight. ( Mind you I am not an aerodynamic whiz kid so you should discount everything I have to say and think for yourself).

Anyway..too much drag works good for IC since it gives the engine work to do. And too much weight to. dampen vibration.

I'm thinking a thinner airfoil and an air frame more like what the rubber power guys use is going to give us better performance for the electrics.
A lot less nose moment too.

My plan is to get a rubber power scale kit. Enlarge the plan, make some changes (wing area for one) and give that a whirl.

I'm not so sure that even with an IC engine that 66 oz. Cardinal would be a great performer.
Maybe an ARF Cardinal would be the ticket as it would be much lighter.

There are guys like Bob Hunt and Mike Palco that this seems to work for. But I think that they're the exceptions to the rule.

I'll keep coming to this department. Perhaps our collective experience will turn the tide.

Ron King:

--- Quote from: frank carlisle on July 27, 2006, 12:49:22 PM ---I've had some time to consider this and I have come to believe that the place we are going wrong is in trying to use traditional stunt designs with our electric components.
 We got too much drag and too much weight. ( Mind you I am not an aerodynamic whiz kid so you should discount everything I have to say and think for yourself).

Anyway..too much drag works good for IC since it gives the engine work to do. And too much weight to. dampen vibration.

I'm thinking a thinner airfoil and an air frame more like what the rubber power guys use is going to give us better performance for the electrics.
A lot less nose moment too.

My plan is to get a rubber power scale kit. Enlarge the plan, make some changes (wing area for one) and give that a whirl.

I'm not so sure that even with an IC engine that 66 oz. Cardinal would be a great performer.
Maybe an ARF Cardinal would be the ticket as it would be much lighter.

--- End quote ---

Frank,

I'll certainly agree with some of your ideas. Bob Hunt spent a lot of time building the lightest airframes he could for the last WC. Bob is a super builder anyway, but to hear him talk about how light his new components were made me question my own ability (and sanity).   %^

We can get rid of a lot of the vibration dampening structure and I discovered in my new model that we can also make the tail structure lighter. It still has to be stiff, but not as much as with an IC engine. I'm not as certain about the typical free flight construction. My early days were spent chasing Nordic A-2 gliders and they were very light (spell that flimsy).  ~^

Obviously, I'll also agree with your choice of the ARF/ARC Cardinal. That is the airframe for my Shocker and has proven to be a very good stunt machine.

While I'm still struggling to replace my traditional big "PAMPA" ship with an electric version, I don't plan to build any more IC powered profiles. The electric Cardinal fills that niche perfectly.  Thanks to Steve Fitton for the picture of me with my Shocker at Huntersville.

Cheers,

Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version