News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can motor bearings be replaced?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Can motor bearings be replaced?
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
I have an Arrowind motor and I think the bearings are going bad.  It's the motor in my Pathfinder, my question is changing the bearing something we can do?  I think I can get the replacement bearing from Boca Bearing in Florida.  I have been getting engine bearings from these people for many years and they are very dependable.  Anyway any and all information regarding this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Can motor bearings be replaced?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
Check out this video.  My guess it can be applied to your motor as well.  I've changed bearings in my Scorpions and it is very easy, especially after watching the video.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:09:32 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
Good stuff Chris, thanks for the link.

Best,         DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
Good stuff Chris, thanks thanks from me also for the link.

H^^   H^^

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »
Thanks Crist for the link, that's what I was looking for.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:09 PM »
Scorpion has a other "How to Do" videos.  They are all worth watching.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Outrunner bearings change-out much easier than IC bearings!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
I've changed the bearings a couple of times in various motors, but if you're using the Turnigy or such motors in the common sizes for stunt, it's almost not worth the trouble.  Motors from Hobby King cost very little more than the bearings alone from the LHS.  Haven't priced them from Boca tho. 

If you have a setup and a motor you are happy with, however, it maybe worth changing the bearings just to keep the motor with a kV you like.

FWIW,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
The motor I am using is a Aerowind, but here is what I think is going on.  The motor heats up during a flight and the bearings tighten up a bit.  Once the bearings cool down the bearings free up and turn smoothly.  I have been monitoring the power consumption and it is not rising, at least so far.  This may be just how it is with the less expensive motors.  If the power consumptions starts to rise that points to bad bearings, but if it remains constant it just points to the bearings are behaving as designed.  I don't want to say cheap, that's not fair, they are doing exactly what they are advertised to do.  They are giving good value, and that's that.  I have set up a spread sheet to monitor and record the power consumption over time, I need more data points before I can be sure what is happening.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
I think what is happening is that as the motor heats up, it expands and puts pressure on the bearings in the thrust axis.  I would loosen up the retaining collar a lttle bit so that there is a small amount of end play of the shaft.  This way when the motor heats up the end play is taken up by the expansion and the bearings aren't "pinched".
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »
Andrew - did this problem show up after your prop-strike accident?  The jostling may have moved things around a little or even bent the shaft?  The AW does not have a collar but you can adjust the endplay by loosening the set-screw in the bell and move the shaft & circlip a smidgen or two...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
Hi Dennis
No the symptom has been there long before the prop strike.  The strike happened while the plane was near level in grass and it threw off the battery so no smoke damage was done to the motor or the ESC.  By the way, got my Brodak magazine yesterday now I know what you look like.  I haven't had a chance to read the articles yet but I will.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
Hi Dennis
No the symptom has been there long before the prop strike.  The strike happened while the plane was near level in grass and it threw off the battery so no smoke damage was done to the motor or the ESC.  By the way, got my Brodak magazine yesterday now I know what you look like.  I haven't had a chance to read the articles yet but I will.
Andy

Hmmm CLW likes to print a pix of the author with the article - in my case the ugly truth.  I submitted a photo in shades and goofyhat to spare the reader any undue eye-stress...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here