News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:26:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can anyone share their setup on an electric Bi Slob? Thoughts?  (Read 912 times)

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Can anyone share their setup on an electric Bi Slob? Thoughts?
« on: January 24, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »
I was given a roughed up Bi Slob a few years ago. I only fly electric and am still quite a novice. Was thinking about getting the Bi Slob into shape for my 10 year old son that is more advanced than me. Anybody have an electric setup to share? Also, "things to think about" comments are welcome. Thanks

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Can anyone share their setup on an electric Bi Slob? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:03:39 PM »
A number of years ago i did an electric Bislob.  Not being a bislob flier i gave it to John Paris who is a member here. He told me it worked very well. I do not remember if i did a build thread on it here or not but most of the planes i built in that period i did threads on here in the all amped up forum. Nothing special to it. Just used a motor that i'd use in a .35 size stunter, ran it on 4S with an  11.5 X 4.5 apc electric pusher prop. Mount the motor to the same angles as the glow and away you go. Do use aluminum gear though and not the wires. First hard landing will push the landing gear thru the bottom of the wing and destroy ribs. Simple fix. Use vector 40 or similar gear. Have fun bob branch

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »
Brendan,
I have one that Bob Branch assembled a number of years ago but not sure if he ever flew it.  It made its way to me through Frank Carlisle.  Power is a Turnigy G15, 950kV motor, APC 11x4.5 electric pusher prop, 50A generic ESC, FM-9 timer and 4 cell 2200mAh battery.  I normally run for about 2 minutes with this set up but end up pulling a little out of the batteries to bring them back to storage.  Probably could go 2:20-2:30 and be just about right for storage.  I believe I have the timer set up to run around 50% throttle.  Needed to adjust to get the level of climb/hover that I wanted.  Unlike the slimer version which will change from beginning to end of flight, this one stays pretty consistent.  If it has not been done already, I would replace the wire gear with aluminum dural to keep from busting the spar in the wing with hard landings.  I think that either the Smoothie ARF or Vector gears work pretty well.

Had this one out just yesterday as it was fairly decent out, there was still snow on the ground and it was fitted with some DuBro skis.  Another good feature of the Slob is that the more it blows, the more fun and the easier it is to fly.  My go to airplane for bad weather.  Good luck and have fun.
John
John Paris

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
An electric Bi Slob sounds like an ideal candidate for a RC throttle.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »
Bob and John thanks for the encouraging details. Have been hesitant to put time into an offshoot project like this, but I think my son would be ecstatic to see it up and running.

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:22 AM »
I thought I had posted last night that I had mounted a receiver in my Slob and would be flying it today.  Guess I did not.  At any rate, I have a radio that Rich Imhoff had set up and have used it for carrier, sport flying and the Ringmaster event so it was no problem to install.  Just velcroed it in the body, unplugged the timer and plugged it into the reciever and voila, instant throttle controlled Slob with no mess and easy to start in the cold.

It was kind of a cross between carrier and Slobbin'.  You can add some things like ultimately slow take off to vertical climb out, stick the elevator in the snow-hold-slow climb out as well as the full lap taxi.  Hovering was pretty easy but since there was no wind was a little spooky.  Will leave the Velcro mount in place for the next time I want to try.  Electric makes things almost too easy...

My Slob bounces quite a bit on landing, and only a little less in the snow.  Full lap taxis with the tail up were okay.  I was amazed at how slowly the Slob would lift off.  Recommend that is you want to do any of the tricky stuff that you have some wind to help hold the airplane out.  The lack of line tension can be a bit concerning.  Was thinking that this could be something interesting to do while ice fishing when they are not biting that well.
John
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here