News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera Plane  (Read 412 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Camera Plane
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »
I have recently converted my old camera plane to brushless electric power from glow power. This model was designed back in 1996 with my own plans and was designed to carry a full size 35mm film camera (2 1/2 lbs of camera), that is why it's so big. Originally it was powered with a OS-91 four stroke, then installed a OS-91FX two stroke and I have converted the model to the E-Flite E-60

E-Flite E-60 with a 16-6 EP
Castle Phoenix 60 ESC
2S batteries x 3 to make a 6S, 5000 Mah
JR transmitter and reciever, I use the Direct Servo Connection and have the electronic signal go down the insulated lines for throttle control

The plane weighs in at 11 lbs and will take off in a 1/4 of a lap at full power takeoff, or will easily take off and cruise at 1/2 power. The model is big and has 5" main wheels with a 80" span. When I build a new camera plane it will be smaller since the cameras have been reduced in size over the years.

What I found interesting was that E-flite says that it will comfortably fly a model in the 8-10 lb range, this model weighs in at 11 lbs and still flies at 1/2 power. The E-60 with a 16-6 can fly some fairly large models.

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline PerttiMe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Camera Plane
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
For some "comfortably fly" may mean "accelerate straight up"...
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here