News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building an E flight streak  (Read 3916 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Building an E flight streak
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
I was looking at one of my ringmasters last night trying to figure out if the Brodak Ringmaster conversion kit could be used on a Flite Streak , I have an older un-built Streak kit and the field close to my new house only allows electric on Sundays do to proximity of a local church. I like how the battery is tucked into the fuse instead of hanging out in the breeze on the Ringer. Thanks TJ
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Building an E flight streak
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »
How old is "older"?   If it is a 1960 ish complete kit sell it on eBay as a collector's item for big $.  Use the money to buy a modern lazier cut electric kit.   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:24:28 AM »
Well I was down looking at the Ringer and the Streak again, and suddenly remembered the swap meet Cosmic Wind I picked up a few years ago "actually it sits on top of the fridge and I was getting a cold one" I took it down and checked it over its missing its vertical stab &  rudder and has a little bit of hanger rash,  so I think I will order the conversion kit from Brodak and modify this one instead, less work and a proven set up TJ :)
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:26:46 AM »
It's a flight streak. Keep the conversion simple this will work on most profiles and you should be be able to use the same power system on the Ringmaster,Flight Streak, and Cosmic Wind.  I found some conversion conversion pictures that I will post  They are not all my planes but it will show you options
AMA 98010

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 07:57:03 PM »
Hi friends.

Some time ago I made some very simple conversions that work very well in photos are a Ring Master and a Primary Force. I hope it helps.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »
That is quite a Ringmaster!  H^^
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 06:54:20 AM »
Rogerio,

Gotta love the motor mounts on both models. I'm building a Primary Force electric, first one was an IC.
Please tell me you are buying those mounts.  If you're making them it appears you are working from "T" stock and not angle stock. Can you give me some insight, I have a Scotch Brite wheel on my pedestal mounted grinding unit  Very nice work.

Steve

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 05:29:06 AM »
Rogerio,

I sent you a PM.

Steve

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
Folks,

Sorry for the delay, I made these parts to adapt the electric motors using "T" profile in aluminum with thickness of 3mm was used a milling machine for finishing and holes.

But I advise who is under construction to make the engine support in the fuselage is lighter and more beautiful.

Rogerio.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »
Mike Alimov posted a really clever aluminium bracket to use in e-conversion scenarios.  https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/crash-proof-motor-mount/

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »
That is a very simple yet elegant mount I like it a lot!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »
At our field, I've seen a profile (maybe a Flite Streak) with the battery built into the wing.  Also doubles as wing tip weight.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 07:52:18 AM »
I late November I was inquiring about building an electric Primary Force. After collecting a multitude of information I decided to pattern a motor mount after Rogerio's design. I haven't completed mounting all the electrics yet but here is a shot of the finished model. I haven't weighed it yet, I expect it to come in around 42 oz. My first electric model.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Steve

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
Another fantastic construction by friend Fred Cesquim.

HoleShot with some modifications.

Rogerio.

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
Hi Steve,
I really like the aluminum mount on the P-Force, did you mill that or a shop mill it for you?

Mikey

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Hi Mickey,
The motor mount was made in my shop using a fine blade band saw, some filing and scotch brite polishing. Ran the motor and set up the governor now waiting for the snow to melt. Thanks for sending the plans mods for the electric.
Steve

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »
Hi Mickey,
The motor mount was made in my shop using a fine blade band saw, some filing and scotch brite polishing. Ran the motor and set up the governor now waiting for the snow to melt. Thanks for sending the plans mods for the electric.
Steve
Looks like the mount is single sided.   Does this mean the motor is mounted with 2 screws?   
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
John,

I hope the sketch helps, a photo (sketch) is worth a thousand words. There is room for lightening holes in the bracket without weakening the mount. I haven't flown the model yet, I was concerned about offsetting the thrust line but some said it's not enough to see the effect. Let me know what your creation looks like.

Steve

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »
John,

I hope the sketch helps, a photo (sketch) is worth a thousand words. There is room for lightening holes in the bracket without weakening the mount. I haven't flown the model yet, I was concerned about offsetting the thrust line but some said it's not enough to see the effect. Let me know what your creation looks like.

Steve
OOOO! Looks like it was made from I-beam stock not angle stock.  That works!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »
John,

Seeing is believing.

Steve

Offline Dave Adamisin

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
Hi. I 3d printed a firewall mount for 37mm(?) x-mount. I also printed an enclosed mount with a rear brg for a Cobra 2221-1250. My brother Dennis asked for one. I liked it enough to print one for myself. The Streak is one of the TF arfs. I cut the LE on the outside wing just wide enough for the battery and closed the space inside with lite ply. Velcro strap to hold the front of battery. ESC on the "inside" of the fuse. The enclosed mount uses the x mount that comes with the Cobra and has threaded inserts for the mounting bolts. The wheel was also 3d printed. It's 2.25" dia and weighs 8 grams..
Thyme is money - on roasted potatoes

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 08:20:05 AM »
I have a question, I completed and recently flew my electric Primary force, this was my first electric build. I decided to build a rear mounted motor mount that attaches to the rear of the armature. Someone else had made a similar mount out of T stock which I copied. The plane flies well.

Here's my question, the prop pulls on the shaft that is held in the motor by a small Snap Ring on the rear of the motor. The motor is installed in reverse in my case so the Snap Ring that would normally be mounted in the front with the front protruding shaft and prop must hold the moving stator on the motor.

I've noted the motor separates a bit when I pull on the prop causing all the force to be applied to the Snap Ring. The motor is a Cobra.

Has anyone experienced this especially Rogerio Fiorotti? Will this damage the motor? A photo is attached of my mount.

Steve

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Hi. I 3d printed a firewall mount for 37mm(?) x-mount. I also printed an enclosed mount with a rear brg for a Cobra 2221-1250.
Dave,
did you use ABS to 3D-print? No temperature problems?
Regards,
Wolfgang

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »
Hopefully have answered my own question I called Cobra Manfacturing. It sounds as though the set screw holding the shaft to outer run stator has loosened and the shaft has slid. Fix is to reposition the shaft until the C clip is a thin piece of paper away from the bearing and tighten the set screw. There should be very little play between the clip and the bearing.

Steve

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
I have continued to fly my plans built Primary Force electric all summer, I can't better describe it to say it's one of the nice flying profiles I have ever flown.

I have, however, found a quirk that I'd like your opinions on. When I make an outside loop I was pleased but when I attempted an inside loop it would make a much larger diameter loop no matter how much elevator I gave it. The elevator swings about 30 degrees equally. I checked the lead-outs for equal length with the elevator flat in trail to the stab. I adjusted the clevis one-half turn on the elevator horn and discovered now the reverse was occurring place with a much larger "scary" outside loop.

I have very little play in the linkage at the elevator when I hold the lead-outs tight. The lead-out adjustment is centered on the wing spar, I have moved this some with no improvement. The motor and mount are in good alignment with the thrust line. I have tried adjusting my hardpoint from 3.5" to 3 spacing and have moved the cable to favor my more limited downward wrist action. The lines are exactly 60' eyelet to eyelet. The CG appears to be where Micky's instructions call with the 4C battery is back almost against the wing. The horizontal alignment of the wing chord and the elevator are exactly to the plans and the elevators are equally positioned flat. I did increase the outer tip weight from .5 to 1.0 oz. with no change. The model always maintains tight lines overhead with a zero offset rudder and the engine mount has approx 1-degree offset. There is no joggle coming out of any maneuver it's always smooth with no stall effect. The one thing I must add is the wing is a built-up (not foam) with a similar airfoil comparable to the Fancherized Twister. The wing was jig built and came out straight as an arrow. The motor is a Cobra 2820-12  970Kv with an 11x4 E prop.

Any thoughts?

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
I must change my information, the wing is a standard built-up Primary Force design wing. I was confused with the Bob Hunt Prowler I made with a built-up wing based on the Twister airfoil instead of Bob's foam design.

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 03:24:26 PM »
I have continued to fly my plans built Primary Force electric all summer, I can't better describe it to say it's one of the nice flying profiles I have ever flown.

I have, however, found a quirk that I'd like your opinions on. When I make an outside loop I was pleased but when I attempted an inside loop it would make a much larger diameter loop no matter how much elevator I gave it. The elevator swings about 30 degrees equally. I checked the lead-outs for equal length with the elevator flat in trail to the stab. I adjusted the clevis one-half turn on the elevator horn and discovered now the reverse was occurring place with a much larger "scary" outside loop.

I have very little play in the linkage at the elevator when I hold the lead-outs tight. The lead-out adjustment is centered on the wing spar, I have moved this some with no improvement. The motor and mount are in good alignment with the thrust line. I have tried adjusting my hardpoint from 3.5" to 3 spacing and have moved the cable to favor my more limited downward wrist action. The lines are exactly 60' eyelet to eyelet. The CG appears to be where Micky's instructions call with the 4C battery is back almost against the wing. The horizontal alignment of the wing chord and the elevator are exactly to the plans and the elevators are equally positioned flat. I did increase the outer tip weight from .5 to 1.0 oz. with no change. The model always maintains tight lines overhead with a zero offset rudder and the engine mount has approx 1-degree offset. There is no joggle coming out of any maneuver it's always smooth with no stall effect. The one thing I must add is the wing is a built-up (not foam) with a similar airfoil comparable to the Fancherized Twister. The wing was jig built and came out straight as an arrow. The motor is a Cobra 2820-12  970Kv with an 11x4 E prop.

Any thoughts?

Steve,
What kind of pushrod do you have C/F or 3/32” music wire,  the music wire push rods trend to loose some of the control throw in maneuvers (flexing pushrod), that can be fixed by adding another pushrod guide if needed.  The only other things that would cause that is a flexing elevator or a slight wing warp.  It sounds like it’s flying pretty good so I think it shouldn’t be much of a problem to fix it.  Also check your elevator hinge seals to make sure that both side of the elevators are sealed.  My Primary Force is very old and fuel soaked but still flies really good with no sign of unequal size loops and/eights.  Steve, just an added thought,  Make sure the There is no “Up or Down Thrust” on the motor, that easy to change, just add a washer under the motor end ball to change the thirst level. 

Later,
Mikey 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:42:31 PM by MikeyPratt »

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »
Hi Steve,
I hope you have had a chance to fly your P-Force more and make a few trim changes.  I don’t think it’s too far off right now.  I did notice that you used a C/F pushrod so that really helps.  Did you check to make sure the elevator hinge lines are sealed properly on both sides and don’t have a flexing elevator?  Let me know when you going out to fly again, hopefully I can comedown and watch you both fly.

Later,
Mikey

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 06:50:41 PM »
I just finished converting my Flight Streak to electric.   I forgot that there was another thread on a FS conversion. In reading this thread their are many ways to mount the motor.  I found the printed motor mount to be smart easy and fun.  I had one of the printed motor mounts provided by Tom Morris.  They are now provided by Okie Air Model Products.  I tacked super glued the mount to the side of the Flight Streak and marked its location.  A combination of razor saw, Dremel sanding drum and a sanding block I carved the opening for the mount.  I then Epoxy it in place.  About half of the hardwood motor mount beams remain.  Using a drill bit I dimpled the gluing interfaces of the printed motor mount and the Flight Streak motor mount beams.  The mount ain’t coming loose.  All this is in another post of mine. Wanted to get in my .02$ worth again  LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 08:52:52 PM »
Hi John,
Yea I like the printed mount also, but are they set up for each type of motor?  That’s the only thing that brothers me about them plus the additional cost of the mount.  I would have to increase the cost of my models kits a fair amount to include it.   Of course the modeler can pay the up charge if they want to do that, but I really do like them.  Buy the way, it was fun reading about your electric powered Ringmaster Gyro, looked like a fun project.

Later,
Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here