News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Budget electric prices keep going up (supprise )  (Read 552 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Budget electric prices keep going up (supprise )
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
I was just going over Mike Palko's CLW article in the July edition. Seems like a good size jump in prices, just an example the Rimfire 35-36-1200 went from 39.99 to 54.99 at Tower. Electric is pricey enough now there making it even less attractive.
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

Re: Budget electric prices keep going up (supprise )
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »
Leester,
Since almost all this stuff comes from China, with the $ dropping like a rock, all imported stuff has risen in price.
I won't make a comment about how the US is turning into a 3rd world country.

The Scorpion 3014 is still $50. Not as cheap as the Rimfire. I know Tower has just jumped most of its prices, and I am guessing as new stock comes in, most vendors will tend to do the same. Of course the same is going to happen with glow engines---heck it is going to happen with everything! HB~>

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
Alan how right you are on the price increases and down the line we'll probobly wish we had these prices back. I did p/u a Scorpion 3014 gobrushless seemed to have good prices and shipping was decent. Any comments on the Scorpion Commander ESC's  ??? ??? ???
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Leester,
I have only used the Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's so don't have any experience with the Scorpions. I don't think their inexpensive line has governor mode---which I think is basically necessary for a serious stunt run. 

For the most part I've gotten by with the 35 A Phoenix, so that has made it cheaper (than the 45A version). As I mentioned somewhere I manage to buy them (I have two) on sales for ~$70. They seem to be pretty robust (which means that if you put 36A on them they don't burn up!). With the new firmware just out, they are as good as anything out there. The only negative right now is that you do need a Windows PC to change the governor mode settings, so unless you have a laptop, it is hard to do it at the field. For the most part it hasn't been a big deal for me since I have been running in "high" governor mode, so my throttle setting (=rpm) is set by my timer, and that is changeable at the field without a pc (but it is a little tricky!).

I am also happy with my FMA batteries (based on the 18C 2100mAHr cell), they seem to be holding up to my "abuse" and the cost is somewhat intermediate between the expensive brands and the super cheap--about $17 per cell. My Nobler needs 4 of these cells per flight. I run them as 4s1p2100mAHr (4 in series) so an appropriate motor like the 3014 should be in the kV=8-900 or so range for best efficiency--so I think the 3014-22 would be a good choice. I actually run 3020's which are about $10 more, but I am certainly not stressing them and a 3014 would work ok--maybe a little less efficient with a Nobler size plane. Of course I could run them as a 2s2p 4200mAHr  pack setup (two sets of 2 series pack hooked in parallel), but the downside is that since the voltage is 1/2 the 4s voltage, the amps need to be twice the 4s output (to make the same watts=volts*amps), and this higher current would certainly need the 45Amp ESC---this is one of the games you play in making these type decisions.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here