News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BJM's Enterprise-E  (Read 898 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
BJM's Enterprise-E
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Has anyone bought one of these combo units ?? The kit and power unit for $265.00 seems tempting  www.bjm-home.com  He's in the vendors corner but ??? He advertises in CLW.  Does this seem like a good deal or not and what else would need to be bought ??  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

Re: BJM's Enterprise-E
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
This is going by memory, but the only negative I can think of is that the ESC (Jeti Plus(?)) doesn't have a governor mode. You need the Jeti Spin--I believe---to get governor mode. That is a big deal.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:46:56 AM »
Thanks Alan: where would I find a Jeti spin ??
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
I know Hobby Lobby carries the Jeti line. But you should check to make sure what I said about the included ESC is true---I think it is but am not positive. H-L has the info on both. Here is a link.  http://www.hobby-lobby.com/

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:52:39 AM »
Alan, I didn't see anything about a gov. mentioned in the ECO 25. OK just what exactly does the gov do compared to a unit without ? I think I have a good idea but just want to be sure.
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »
Assuming no governor, as the plane flies, the battery voltage actually drops. So if you did nothing, so would the average rpms of the prop. Now some of the timer/throttle controls (JMP-2 and Ztron) allow you to program in a linear throttle rise to compensate the battery voltage drop.

However when you point the nose up, the airspeed begins to drop, and the prop load goes up. Now the rpm will begin to drop--but the motor begins to work harder (more current will flow). With this setup you are basically stuck with the lower rpm--sort of like flying in the low pitch high rpm mode.

The governor mode simply locks the rpm fixed, based upon the throttle setting (each ESC works a little differently, but in governor mode, the ESC interprets the pulse width out of the timer/throttle as an rpm, not as a throttle setting). If you run in governor mode, you don't need the voltage compensation I mention in the first paragraph. However you do need a setup which is running at something less than max power--otherwise you won't get that extra "juice" when you need it. The number we knock around is something on the order of 70-75% of full power. Then that 25% acts as a reserve to cme back in when the load goes up.

So the net result is that you will lose a little less airspeed in the vertical (but will still lose some). Most people are using ESC's with a governor mode on them. Typically those ESC's will cost more than ESC's without the feature.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
Thanks Alan: I did buy the set up from Brodaks ( could buy on line with credit card etc ) The kit looks real good with plan auto cad done by Sam Laughery. About the only thing I wish it had was the electric set up shown on the plans or instructions on how to do it. I figure this is entry level electric and we need all the help we can get. Oh well I've got other projects to finish first, guess I'll do some reading up on it. Then again I'll probobly just bug Crist about it. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here