News:

• May 20, 2024, 10:19:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arming Plugs.  (Read 1902 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Arming Plugs.
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
Hi All,
 A really basic question I'm sure but I have to ask anyway...

Up to now I have only really built profile models so arming plugs were always someone else problem as the battery leads are easily accessible. I'm currently well along the way with my 1st full fuselage stunter and wondering about wiring the arming plug. I've scouted around various posts but nothing shows me a full diagram of how they are set up.

Do people normally wire the arming plug to interrupt both battery leads or just one? If only one any preference to which lead? Also if the plug is wired through only one battery lead do you "add" the equivalent  amount of wire to the other lead or is that not necessary?

Really basic question I know, but as it's my 1st model with an arming plug I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: Arming Plugs.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
P/N 6982 is the one that I use.  There are others of course, but this one works well.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html
Mike

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
Just do what Maxx Products does, or just buy one of theirs.

You only need to interrupt one wire (just like a light switch in your house), and while you don't want to have a mile of cord going to the plug, you don't need to worry about even lead lengths.

Your ESC will have some specification for the maximum length of wire to the battery -- any extra wire in the arming plug counts toward that (which is why you don't want it too long).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:01:01 AM »
The Max product is very good and will get the job done. It is a solid design that we have been using for several years in the dark-arts world.

Below is the link to a newer product that you may want to consider for your new plane. This is what many of us are using now. ...... If you click on the "instructions" link near the top of the page, you will see an excellent description, with photos and drawings, that will answer all your questions.

This is a well thought out product that provides an installation that is both clean and KIS. Considering it's high quality and functionality for the task at hand, the price is more than fair. 

http://www.sharprc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=ikelhh5ftsovmohtu06sqglim2
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »
The arm safe plug should work but I must warn everyone. I done the same thing about three years ago to a Saturn conversion with just a pair of deans plugs but no mounting base. Its not necessary if U glue in the female end.
Anyway I flown it a few times but without the spinner cone because it was causing vibrations. When I let the owner fly it. They left the cone on and the plug came off and and the motor stopped and caused the airplane to crash. In conclusion,the Deans plugs will work, but make sure everything is balanced before putting the model in the air.
For the larger models I use the Maxx Plugs, the smaller ones I like using 3.5 mm connectors. U can also make those Maxx plugs by getting the Anderson poles, Deans plugs and wire and make them as short or as long as U dare. 
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the replies everyone. H^^

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here