News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big motor vs small motor?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Big motor vs small motor?
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:06 AM »
Guys,
I'm getting close to selecting a motor for my Olympic which should come in around 44oz ready to fly. With the latest trend in the IC world being toward very large power packages I was wondering if in electric we might benefit from the same approach. So instead of using say a "35" size Eflite 15 running a 10x5 which would pull this ship fine, could there be an advantage to using say a Eflite 25 or 32 (close to a 45 - 55 IC) lightly loaded on an 11x6 and just loafing but with lots of reserve power for the wind? Anyone try this kind of comparison?

Best,           DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Big motor vs small motor?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
Some one smarter than me will have to answer this one but all I know is electric motors behave totally different than IC motors.  When IC motors are loaded they slow down.  Electric motors when loaded just try harder.  They tend to be constant RPM critters.  So bigger is heaver - is it worth the extra weight?  One for the experts to tell us.

???   ???   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
In my opinion it is more important to have a sufficient and properly sized battery to handle the demands of the governor.  As long as your motor is not overheating it is more than likely giving you equal power as any larger motor would.  The governor will only allow the motor to reach a specified RPM.  Having plenty of battery overhead will keep this rpm more constant and ensure the rpm never falls below the set point rpm.

Thanks,
Jason 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
Dennis
Both e-flight motors are good.  If you want to go with 4S (4 cell) batteries the 25 is your choice; if you want to go 5S then the 32 is your choice.  They are about the same power either way - don't try to correlate 25 with a .25 IC motor.  You are looking for Kv and the 25 is 920Kv and the 32 is 770KV this matches up with the battery voltage for our given RPM range, governor overhead and so forth.
Norm

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
While I have a marginal understanding,, ( there are those who know a lot more) I believe that if you oversize the motor, you will be running it outside its max efficiency range and will be burning electrons with no real gain. another observation,, the POWER we use to fly is the Watts,, and if you underprop a motor, it will not generate the watts we want for performance, so in a lot of ways it is similar,, you need to match the prop to the power system for max performance.
That said,, Personally I am targeting motors that generate a known  watt output about 15% in excess of what I expect the plane to require ( all based upon observation of other peoples setups,, )

Just read Norm's post,, what he said!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
Some one smarter than me will have to answer this one but all I know is electric motors behave totally different than IC motors.  When IC motors are loaded they slow down.  Electric motors when loaded just try harder.  They tend to be constant RPM critters.  So bigger is heaver - is it worth the extra weight?  One for the experts to tell us.

Particularly when you're using the ESC in governor mode, the motor doesn't slow down until the batteries sag.

If you have two motors with the same Kv, then they'll "want" to run roughly the same speed at a given voltage.  The difference is that the motor with the lower winding resistance will sag less (they do sag somewhat), and will lose less power through winding resistance.  And, in general, if you have a pair of motors with equal Kv, the smaller one will have less room for wire, meaning it'll have littler wire, meaning it'll have higher resistance.

Everything interacts, but if the motor and ESC are adequate, then your ultimate power output is going to be determined by the battery.  If you use battery A and ESC B, then you will be limited to some maximum power output no matter what motor you choose.  Using a smaller and lighter motor will get you higher winding resistance, meaning you'll lose more power in the motor and less in induced drag; using a heavier motor will get you lower winding resistance and you'll lose less power in the motor and more in induced drag.  Using a honkin' big motor will mean that (a) you never get off the ground, and (b) your power will get used up turning the motor bearings.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »
Tim,, so by way of accurate communications and clarity,,
you are saying I am essentially incorrect?
that a bigger motor (given the same ESC and Battery) will be MORE efficient than a smaller motor? or do you think the acceleration deceleration phase of operation would outweigh the gains with the bigger motor..

how about some CLEAR DIRECT guidlines,,
I get what Norm says,, and I agree, KV is the key for systems,, however I am really curious about the wattage, prop size to load, and motor size relationship and how it affects efficiency,, will it make a significant change,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
I'll chime in....

The best motor is one that works the most efficiently while delivering the the most power for the given application. Low amp draw doesn't mean that the motor is operating in its "ideal" efficiency range. Too high of amp draw and the motor is also operating out its efficiency range and generating power robbing heat.

Rob

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
Tim,, so by way of accurate communications and clarity,,
you are saying I am essentially incorrect?
that a bigger motor (given the same ESC and Battery) will be MORE efficient than a smaller motor? or do you think the acceleration deceleration phase of operation would outweigh the gains with the bigger motor..

There's efficiency and efficiency.  You are correct that at some point a bigger motor is going to show more non-resistive losses than a smaller one, and any time you go and plot efficiency vs. size (all else being equal), there will be a (thankfully fairly broad) sweet spot.

But then toss into the mix the fact that you're flying an airplane with this gizmo -- now, the most efficient motor on the bench may weigh things down so much that the package isn't efficient (or pleasant to fly).

Motors for e-flight are pretty much rated for the power they can handle without burning up, not for their most efficient power.  So yes, I would expect that to some extent you could gain a few efficiency points at the motor by going to a bigger motor -- but you can't do that too much before you've weighed the plane down with motor.

how about some CLEAR DIRECT guidlines,,

Look at what provides success to others, and shamelessly copy.  I would have laughed at that when I graduated from engineering school, but it's what about 90% of engineering boils down to.  The next 1% is inventing entirely new stuff, and the 9% after that is fixing the mistakes you made when you invented entirely new stuff.

More seriously, look at the smallest motor that satisfies your required power level, and go one or two steps bigger in size.  Not only does this make objective sense -- but it's what all the successful guys seem to be doing, so I'm just shamelessly (that's the key) quoting it as if it were my idea.

I get what Norm says,, and I agree, KV is the key for systems,, however I am really curious about the wattage, prop size to load, and motor size relationship and how it affects efficiency,, will it make a significant change,,

I would have to go do the math.  Motors' wattage ratings are pretty slippery -- Hacker or eFlight wants you to come do business with them again next year, so they have an interest in not selling you a motor that burns up.  Honest Wong's Quality Chinese Motors wants to get money quick, so they can buy off the local party boss before he comes and steals Wong's daughter for a concubine.  So they have an interest in getting you to buy a motor today.  They rate the power of their motors accordingly.

Prop size is a way complex subject.  Props are wings, and bigger props have less induced drag.  Smaller props have less parasitic drag.  Just like wings.  Bigger props have more authority in controlling speed.  And what makes the plane fly 'best' is subjective.  So the best thing to do is to go out and do a ton of experimentation on what works best -- or to shamelessly copy what others have done.  Read everything that's been said -- using big, low-pitch props at moderately high RPM makes oodles of sense to me, and it certainly works -- so why argue?

It's fairly easy to do the math on motor efficiency, if you know how much unloaded current the motor pulls and if you know its winding resistance.  Power in is just volts * amps, power out is volts * amps - losses.  The total losses are going to be quite close to the unloaded loss and the resistive losses, so losses = volts * (unloaded amps) + amps2 * resistance.  ESC efficiencies are unpublished (as far as I know), but are going to be between 90% and 97% from Honest Wong's, and (I'm guessing) 95% to 98% from a "name" brand.  You're going to burn up a lot more power in the motor than in the ESC, unless you buy from Dishonest Wong.

I very much doubt that there's an optimum lurking out there that hasn't been found already.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
I'll chime in....

The best motor is one that works the most efficiently while delivering the the most power for the given application. Low amp draw doesn't mean that the motor is operating in its "ideal" efficiency range. Too high of amp draw and the motor is also operating out its efficiency range and generating power robbing heat.

Rob
Rob,, nice to see you still lurking man,, I thought you had forsaken us toy airplane guys to go play with bicycles full time,, LOL

Tim, I know and follow the principles of copy what others do,, However one thing that I am very curious about is the relationship of the work done,, as related to watts,, and the work needed , as related to performance of the airplane.. I may be barking up a dead tree, but I know that say a glow powered plane that flies with say a 10x6 prop, convert it to a 10x6 electric system, and you may not pull enough watts to create the POWER to perform, this makes me wonder if that is why we see a lot of 12 inch and 13 inch diameter props on systems that typically would be 11 inch props on a glow system,, because we need the diameter to generate the Wattage
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Tim, I know and follow the principles of copy what others do,, However one thing that I am very curious about is the relationship of the work done,, as related to watts,, and the work needed , as related to performance of the airplane.. I may be barking up a dead tree, but I know that say a glow powered plane that flies with say a 10x6 prop, convert it to a 10x6 electric system, and you may not pull enough watts to create the POWER to perform, this makes me wonder if that is why we see a lot of 12 inch and 13 inch diameter props on systems that typically would be 11 inch props on a glow system,, because we need the diameter to generate the Wattage

Ah.  I get it.

I think it's more a matter of prop efficiency vs. motor efficiency.  IC engines (in general) like to spin fast.  E-flight electric motors are specifically built to be efficient at lower speeds.  At the speeds we fly, large props are more efficient and have better speed regulation.  If you've been flying RC for a while, you'll remember the 2nd wave of electrics, where most everyone was flying geared brushed "can" motors, and guys with $$ were flying brushed, geared, but purpose-built motors from Astro Flight.  The gearing was because a 'regular old' electric motor wants to spin even faster than a typical IC engine, and were overloaded by anything other than a tiny prop -- that tiny prop was hugely inefficient in anything other than a racer, so we used gearing to get the speed well below typical IC engine numbers, which allowed us to use bigger props, which let us get enough prop efficiency to make up for the abysmal efficiency of a can motor and the weight of NiCd batteries.

Outrunner brushless motors are specifically designed to deliver torque at relatively low speeds -- that's why they're large diameter, and why they have so many more poles than 2.  They are (or were, according to things I've read) heavier and less efficient than the motor in a motor/gearbox -- but they're lighter and more efficient than a motor/gearbox combo, and they're certainly a sight less complicated.  Basically, in coming up with outrunners, the electric motor folks purposely leapfrogged the IC engine folks for a motor that is efficient at lower speeds and can therefore use a larger and more efficient prop.

You see the same thing in airplane engines, by the way: compared to automotive engine crank speeds, full-sized airplane props turn really, really slowly.  If you ever get into a race with a Cessna, your engine may be turning 5000 RPM while the Cessna prop is turning 1800 or so.  Airplane engine manufacturers don't do this because they like it: they do it because if they amp up the horsepower by turning the crank faster, the prop gets small and inefficient.  So ever since the 1920's, there have been successful, high-performance airplane engines that have been small, high-revving power plants with some sort of a gearbox to turn the prop at significantly lower speeds than the crank.  This continues on today in the homebuilt airplane world, where a great many of the automotive engine conversions feature a gear- or belt-driven speed reducer from crankshaft to prop.

So what the "bigger prop than IC" really boils down to is that you're getting higher efficiency through increased prop size, at the same time as you're getting better speed control.  If someone wanted to build an IC engine specifically for stunt, they'd make it relatively huge for the airplane it's designed to fly, they'd make it to turn at much lower speeds than a typical Schnuerle ported "RC engine with venturi" that most of us can afford, and because it was designed to turn slowly, they'd take advantage of the lower stresses to make it more spindly in an effort to keep the weight down.  And, indeed, if you look at the purpose-built CLPA stunt engines, they are (to my knowledge) huge, and light, and they turn way slow.  (and they cost a lot).

You could (in theory) get a motor that turns that 10-6 prop at the same RPM as a given IC engine would.  It would require the same power at the prop as the IC engine delivers.  This would be more power than you'd need to deliver the same thrust at the same airspeed if you used a bigger prop, and your small-prop/high-speed combination lose some speed regulation.  So your whole package would be somewhat heavier (I'm not sure how much -- very possibly not much), but even if it weren't, you'd lose some or much of the advantage in 'feel' that one gets from electric.
AMA 64232

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Ah!!!....of course I'm still lurking Mark....I've loved model airplanes all my life. : )

Mark,
Propeller size set for the application. F5B racing electrics spin small high pitched propellers at very high speeds and amp draws= fast! F3b electrics spin very large propellers via a geared system drawing 100-200 amps = fast... 150 mph vertical performance.

Tim,
Well said!

Rob

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Guys,
Well some of these points are a little off the mark. There are several purpose built IC stunt engines that run at around 9000 rpm. Our electrics use very thin blades, the IC engines turn props that are three times our blade thickness. The thick blades pull really good but on an electric they pull lots of amps. To get pulling power we add thin blade diameter. The question is if we used a motor with a little more reserve power could use props with a little more pulling power that would help in the wind and still pull reasonable amps.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
Guys,
I'm getting close to selecting a motor for my Olympic which should come in around 44oz ready to fly. With the latest trend in the IC world being toward very large power packages I was wondering if in electric we might benefit from the same approach. So instead of using say a "35" size Eflite 15 running a 10x5 which would pull this ship fine, could there be an advantage to using say a Eflite 25 or 32 (close to a 45 - 55 IC) lightly loaded on an 11x6 and just loafing but with lots of reserve power for the wind? Anyone try this kind of comparison?

Dang.  All that bloviating, and we never actually answered your question.

Which is: no, not unless you do something with the battery, too.

Actually, I think this is already being taken into account in the currently recommended setup.  If you use an ESC that runs in governor mode, and you make sure that you have enough reserve so that a battery sag doesn't make you come out of regulation, then you should be OK.

If you want to be able to dial the RPM up a bit to deal with wind, then make sure that you have enough reserve for a battery sag at your desired "in the wind" RPM.

And -- sorry for my role in pulling the thread off track prematurely.  I thought your question was answered already!
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
Guys,
Well some of these points are a little off the mark. There are several purpose built IC stunt engines that run at around 9000 rpm. Our electrics use very thin blades, the IC engines turn props that are three times our blade thickness. The thick blades pull really good but on an electric they pull lots of amps. To get pulling power we add thin blade diameter. The question is if we used a motor with a little more reserve power could use props with a little more pulling power that would help in the wind and still pull reasonable amps.

Best,     DennisT

I am ont so sure that you would gain anything by running a thicker blade prop, in fact I am almost certain that you would LOOSE efficiency and performance... I have done tests with electric setups using massaged wooden props,, thicker blades, but the exact same outline as the E prop,, they created less aparant thrust,, used a far greater amount of battery, and ultimatly did not fly the plane as well as the stock E APC prop,,
I think you will find that blade thickness on IC engines is there more for strength than for actual performance. Look at CF IC props, they are much thinner than wood props, at least standard wood props,, When I rework props for IC use, I tend to thin the blade significantly, it makes a better prop from my experience,,
of course this is all seat of the pants observation, no mathematical prowess available here to prove by the numbers,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
Dennis T:

IMO, reserve power is one of those "feel good" myths that refuses to die.  With a governed electric it ceases to have any meaning.  NOTE if you have the power system set to run 10k then it will do so - even if you take the prop OFF!   Thus the idea of a larger motor "unloading" like an IC, really does not hold (except maybe if the motor is marginally too small to begin with).  However there are other reasons that you might want to leave yourself room to increase motor size.

I originally powered my Mythbuster with a RimFire 35-36 (aka a 2815 class motor) turning an 11x5.5 and it worked well.  I wanted a little more nose weight so I switched to a Turnigy 35-42 (aka a 2820 class motor).  Same settings, same prop, no discernable difference in performance - as would be expected.  However battery usage decreased around 100-150 mah per flight.  CONCLUSION: the larger motor worked less hard and drew less current to provide the same level of thrust.  I am also speculate this would quickly hit a point of diminishing returns - that much larger motors would not yield substantial further improvement.

The Olympic was designed to fly with a 10" prop; going to an 11" prop increases disk area by 21% - that is a LOT of extra thrust (& braking), a solid & welcome power up.

I would suggest using the 2820 class motor, with the option of going to a 2815 only if it turns out nose heavy.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
Dennis A,
I agree and understand that the electrics on governor control will run at the set rpm. My thinking was not that they unload but that the larger motor would possibly react a little sooner to load and maintain rpm when we need it gong vertical. Your data seems to indicate that also.

On the prop issue, again I agree that if you make a copy of the APCE P props and add thickness it will likely alone it will have very little impact on thrust and will pull more amps. But with a different plan form i.e. one like the BY&O's or rev-up they can pull better on certain ships. The APCE's have undercamber and that seems to work well for pulling out of a corner for both electrics and IC piped ships (Bolly CF props also have undercamber). I guess the answer is to test different props on a particular ship and use which one works best.

Best,         DennisT

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
I have have done a number of tests with different motors on the same plane.  I tested the Strega with motors ranging from 28 class motors to 50 class motors. Essentially 7 oz to 12 ounce motors. I think weight may give a more accurate comparison than size since there are several size conventions out there and apples and oranges do not compare well. I ranged the power from 4 to 6S in the various combinations and props from 12 to 15 inches.  I have done the similar tests with a smoothie, using motors ranging from 4 to 7 oz and 3 to 4S packs. Prop sizes from 9 to 13 inches. On this plane in both traditional wood props as well as carbon and apc e & ep. The T-Rex I have flown with motors from 7 to 12 ounces and prop sizes from 11.5 to 15 inches with packs of both 4 and 5S sizes. The SV-11 I have run with 7 to 10 ounce motors all in 4S configuration and props from 11.5 to 13.5 inches. The Brodak P-40, the C-14 long fuse profile, and nobler all with motors from 4.5 to 7 ounces and props from 10 to 12 inches. 

Needless to say the different motors and props require differing amounts of energy for a flight. I do fly pretty much everything on 63 ft lines, though I have shortened the Nobler up to 61 ft now. What my testing has shown is that almost without exception the lightest total package that does not compromise battery energy to the point that governing is lost inevitably winds up the better system. It must fit within the cg needs of the plane and that is sometimes the determining factor as to which motor I wind up selecting. But I primarily begin with what size prop I want to turn with the plane. I have not found anything yet that can consistently provide performance better than the apc thin EP series. Everything else is second best and the carbon fiber and wood props I have tested have been far behind the apc's.  The new thicker EP series is usable but clearly not as good since I have to turn more rpm and use more battery consumption.

What I have consistently found to not be an advantage is a more powerful motor than it takes to fly the plane with the prop that lets the plane perform the best. I really think with electrics its not a motor driven issue, but a prop driven issue.  To fly the lap time I want with a specific prop I need a certain rpm range. That will determine the kv of the motor. The plane size and cg requirements narrow the motor size. And that is not at all certain from one flier to another. Rick Sawicki and I fly virtually identical uhp noblers. We use the same props and the same weight packs same line length and same lap times. But he prefers a different feel to his planes than I do and uses a different motor to come to the cg he likes while I use a different one to get what I like. Neither plane is compromised in the power package though they are different class motors.  Every plane I have done these tests with though has flown better with the lighter overall setup and none have been compromised by a smaller motor that could turn the prop at the rpm required. Often though the smaller motor has required less battery weight to do the pattern however and of course is a lighter motor. It was most apparent in the t-Rex and the SV-11, both of which ended up with 7 oz axi 2826/12 motors on 4S and turning apc thin 12X6EP. I do tend to fly lower kv motors than some folks, but that revolves also around the prop I like to use. Your mileage may differ, just offering results of testing I have done so it may be helpful to others. My ego would have liked the bigger motors to work better. But the results have not shown that at all.

bob branch

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
Bob

Excellent input. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good information which proves bigger is not always better.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
Honkin Big are fun too!
arrowind 3526-05  670Kv
9.2 Oz.
6s 22.2 volt 2650 MAH battery
12x 6.5EWP 8100 rpm
68 oz. SV 11  (68) flights so far with 12x6.5ewp
13x4.5 ep (113) flights 9800 rpm
5.4 lap times
1600 used from pack  115 degrees on motor
Stacks of logged flights  and the thing doesn't break into a sweat....
Brodak p40 same thing
3 T REX's from 51 to 80 oz fly with no sweat....I kinda like the Big Hooters !
I have flown my profile dreadnaught 40 with the e power25 920, e power 32, axi 2826-10 and 12 with 4s this week and I like them also but they work very hard to fly a 51 0z airplane...the Big-Un just putts along with half left of the available power....

Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
Guys,
Lots of interesting information and experience. One thing that would be interesting and I think DennisA and JimW may be close is to take the same ship install different class motors, adjust the CG by moving the battery so it remains at the same location, maintain the same lap time. A comparison of how it flies in dead claim and highish wind would be interesting. It seems in "dream stunt wind" the lightest ship will have the edge most of the time. When the wind comes up and you climb to the top on the vertical eight, hourglass, overheads and clover is were the rubber meets the road and we need reserve pulling power.

I agree that in electric the prop is key. Since we don't 4-2-4 we need a prop that pulls as the load increases. There seems to be lots of room to work here. I do a lot of work with Wind Turbines, they make max power when the pitch is lowest. For us low pitch would cause the motor to be pushed and would back off the power just when we need it most. Maybe we could use high pitch props with wide blades at lower rpm. The high pitch would not push the motor as much in the wind and keep it pulling stronger. Just something to think about and test.

Best,    DennisT

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
Last year at the Signal Seekers contest in Michigan I flew ab SV-11 with the smallest motor I tested on the plane (axi 2826/12) with a 12X6 thin EP in big wind. Wind was in mid twenties with gusts near 30. Negligible wind up. None that I could identify. Electric doing its thing. In previous post I noted the line tension in the 3rd corner of the hourglass was ... substantial... it pulled me out of my stance when a gust occurred there. I have not found any lack of governing flying 6 inch pitch setups as long as there is enough battery capacity to have full governing at the end of the flight for all the maneuvers. That is what determines for me the size battery I am going to use. All the tests I listed above were to the same cg once the proper cg on the model was determined. Motor changes were done to adjust cg so no lead was required to balance the planes. I don't think that was clear in the previous post where I was discussing adjusting the cg.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags: motor  hacker 

Advertise Here