News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best type of solder for electics?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Best type of solder for electics?
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »
I was just about ready to start wiring up my components when it occurred to me that there are several types of solder (80/20 lead_tin, no lead, silver solder-stay brite). For IC we always used the stay brite, this solder is very strong but does it have higher resistance (i.e losses) than any of the others? Anybody do any resistance tests on solder types or doesn't it make any significant difference?

Best,       Dennis

Alan Hahn

Re: Best type of solder for electics?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
Dennis,
Just use standard lead-tin rosin core solder. It isn't for mechanical strength, but for good electrical (and non-corroding) contacts. There should be no stress on these solder joints, and to some extent, they are supported by the heat shrink tubing. I always extend the heatshrink tubing a cm or so past the place the insulation stops. This is to stiffen up the very flexible wire so that the rock solid solder joint near the edge of the insulation isn't a stress point.

Remember to tin everything first (wire and pins), then solder. This gets the wire nicely wetted (especially the many-stranded stuff), and makes it a lot easier to make a good contact with the connector.

As long as you get a good connection, the resistance will be negligible. Remember your motor probably has a 1/2 meter or so of 18-20 gauge wire in series with this very short solder joint.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
When talking about "Rosin Core" solder you should specify "SN 60 / PB 40 or better is SN63 / PB37 alloy.  SN63 / PB37, (63% Tin / 37% Lead) is commonly called "Eutectic Solder" as it does not have a "plastic state" meaning that it goes from a liquid to a solid directly.  you can not have a "disturbed" solder joint with Eutectic Solder.

Eutectic solder has the lowest melting temperature of any solder alloy.

The higher the Lead content the higher the melting point.

I have over 50 years in electronics using solder.

Clancy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:36:46 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:24:09 PM »
Clancy,
Actually before I posted I checked my solder roll, but the label had fallen off. I vaguely remembered the 60-40 but didn't want to give the incorrect %. However I defer to your expertise!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:16:06 PM »
Hello friends,
Yes, rosin core eutectic 63/37 isbest, and 60/40 is just fine.

On the other hand, leaded solders are going the way of the dodo bird, and with that soldering temperatures will rise maybe 50-some degrees F and strange corrosion problems may occur, like tin whiskers growing from badly stressed or temperature shocked joints. Vibration resistance is also a problem, as lead takes much of the brittleness out of the joint.

The high-reliability folks in Telecom, Aerospace and Military are bucking the lead-free mandates, and keeping the leaded solder because of all the problems. Getting the lead out does make sense for radios and other consumer items.

later
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
Has anyone tried working with a conductive paste in a non soldered joint? One of the problems I've had was with the stranded wire becoming very stiff once soldered making neat short run wiring difficult. Just wondering if there was any alternative that works for our loads?

Best,     Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »
Dennis,
I would be very worried that with our high currents, the conductive paste may be prone to "oozing" out and becoming more resistive, or perhaps worse, as the plane bounces around in maneuvers, the joint might flex and change its resistance. I don't think ESC's like bad joints, since in motor building, a stuttering motor usually  means a bad solder joint.

However I do agree that soldering does stiffen up the flexible wires for some distance around the joint. I have just (tried) to learn to live with it. The thing to remember that a little extra length doesn't really affect the running characteristics of the motor or ESC. Also you need some extra length to be able to plug in connectors.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »
A tip.  If you are worried about the solder wicking up under the insulation, try clipping a metal heat sink (forcups or any metal clip) to the wire against the insulation.  This will retard the solder wicking up the wire and leave you with more flexable leads.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here