News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:51:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: battery selection?  (Read 531 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
battery selection?
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »
Soon I plan to nuild my first motor and get what I need to try electric half A.
reading as much as I can I have a question. Is a 3s480 and a 2s730 real close to being the same capacity if you were to run the motor at the same voltage ? Not sure I am asking this right. If I set the motor control to keep a speed that approxamated a draw of say 7 volts the run times would be similar ?
or pretty close to the same ?

Alan Hahn

Re: battery selection?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »
Jim,
The Speed control (ESC) does a pretty good job of matching the battery to the motor without losing too much efficiency -more or less borne out by my experience. However you will gain some efficiency if you match the battery voltage to the motor --maybe in the 10% range of so.

I have done what you are asking right now with my Electric Nobler--bigger than 1/2a of course. I have run the entire pattern using ~2200mAHr from a 3s2p 4200mAHr pack (two 3s2100mAHr packs connected in parallel), and now I fly the same motor using ~1700mAHr from a 4s1p 2100mAHr pack.  So I am using a lower throttle setting with the 4s than the 3s, but the motor itself is seeing the same nominal voltage to make the 8100 rpm that I have set the governor to provide.

Of course the higher cell battery gives one advantage, the ESC will change high voltage-low current to lower voltage-higher current, but not the other way! So it is a more flexible in that regard.

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
Re: battery selection?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »
3S is nominal 11.1 volts, 2S is nominal 7.4 volts.  So to get the same power, you will need to draw more amps from the 2S pack.  And with the same motor, the 3S setup will have higher RPM.

ESC/Motors work most efficiently at 90% or greater throttle.  So using a 3S and throttling it to 7 volts nominal, doesn't do good things.  The motor and battery will run hotter.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here