News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Creations Phoenix v3.11 is released  (Read 815 times)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Castle Creations Phoenix v3.11 is released
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »
Castle released a new version of software 12/29/2009.  Here is what the new release is all about:

Phoenix Ice/Phoenix Ice HV

Increased data logging duration by about 75%. Logged data is now compressed such that more data can fit in the confined logging space on the controller. As a result, maximum data logging duration is now approximate. Sitting in idle or other situations where the logged parameters are not quickly changing will significantly increase your data logging duration.
Changed the helicopter auto-rotation feature to make programming easier. (Setups that were working will sill work exactly as before) See below for details
Fixed issue where governor mode would lock in too early creating a large power pulse during spool-up

Phoenix HV

Made further improvements running out-runner style motors
Changed the helicopter auto-rotation feature to make programming easier. (Setups that were working will sill work exactly as before) See below for details
Fixed issue where governor mode would lock in too early creating a large power pulse during spool-up

Phoenix

NOTE: Auto-Rotation Setup Changes
In the new release the helicopter auto-rotation feature has been improved, however setups that were working before will still work in the same manner. The lower range or the -0- throttle has become more defined and with this you may have to recalibrate your throttle settings if your ESC will not arm. The auto-rotation feature has also been improved and the setup range has been expanded. With the new release the ESC will not arm if it is in a condition that could HARD START or start in the Auto-Recovery mode ( in prior releases the ESC could slow start the first time and hard start after the initial spool up). You will have to satisfy a -0- condition before the ESC will arm. The ESC must see -0- throttle to get to a soft start condition. The auto-rotation recovery mode is not in a range that can arm the ESC now.

When I get the time, I'll do my bench test comparison.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

Re: Castle Creations Phoenix v3.11 is released
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
I was thinking about taking one of my two CC Phoenix 35's and one of my Scorpion 3020 motors, running it through all the upgrades, seeing how the no-load rpm and maybe a couple of different props go. I'm still using the summer 2008 firmware  (when the CL governor mode with brake was introduced) for my Phoenix 35's and 45.

Currently I run my stuff on the lowest timing, and a high PWM rep rate (24kHz as I recall). I suppose to make the test comprehensible, I would try to keep those parameters the same, although the definition of "lowest" timing may be different in the newer firmware versions.

I have to think about it a bit, because I think ( n~ ) I am pretty happy with the old firmware for these non-ICE ESC's. Any upgrades for these seem to almost come under the "not-broken" rule. It isn't obvious if the newer firmware really fixes anything for these ESC's--at least how we run things in CL.

Of course for the ICE controllers, the new firmware offers some nice features (compressed datalogging), maybe not melting your motor and ESC! ;)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
I have noticed a smoother start to the motor over the last few upgrades.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
Crist,

What is the settings for the timing and gains on the new release? Anything in the new release that we in CL can use to our advantage (like a way to get a little over shoot as the load comes on and off)?

Best,                   DennisT

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
Dennis,
I have no idea.  I'm just a messenger about the update.  Each pilot should evaluate their set up as to what works best for them and that includes any software updates as they come along.  I'll report on what I find soon.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:49:48 AM »
Dennis,

If you want overshoot under load, keep bumping up the gain until it starts to stutter in level flight.  Back off one level and then up the head speed change rate until it overshoots.  I think this should get you the desired effect.  I will say that you have to have enough head room in your set-up of this won't work.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana       
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here