News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery question  (Read 413 times)

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Battery question
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
I'm using TP 4s 3900 mah batteries in a 68 oz model and I'm trying out some props.

When I land, the Hyperion IOS Sentry shows that I have about 21% left in the battery.
However, when the battery cools down to room temperature it says I have 28% left.

Now I know it's not good to go below 20%, but is that measurement taken when the battery is warm straight after a flight or when the battery is cool?

Also, does the voltage variation from warm to cool mean that the batteries are getting tired?
Bandolero

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: Battery question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
I just charged the batteries and they took 2750 each which is only 70% put back into each battery.
Do I ignore the warm voltage reading? The only thing that worries me is that when I landed, each cell was about 3.4 volts. (warm)
Does this mean that I risk the ESC shutting down as the volts are close to the 3.2 cut-off.
(And it won't take much to go from 3.4 to 3.2.)
Bandolero

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Battery question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
Russell,
If you are using a castle brand speed controller, you should be setting the cutoff voltage to 3.O or even less and it should be set to a soft cutoff. This will prevent the motor from shutting down suddenly if the battery voltage goes too low for any reason at all. In CL a hard cutoff is our enemy. It WILL cutoff at the worst possible time in our event. I would rather destroy one battery by running it too low than lose a plane due to my motor shutting off. Replacing a battery is easier and cheaper than replacing your plane. Besides if the battery voltage is going too low it is already no good.
AMA 98010

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here