News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:48:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery pack wire replacement  (Read 896 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Battery pack wire replacement
« on: October 13, 2023, 09:49:39 PM »
Has anyone had to replace the main wires on a battery pack? I had a problem with one lead and the pack is useless unless I can replace it. How do you do it?

Best,  DennisT

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
Re: Battery pack wire replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »
It can probably be done but I would be weary of applying the heat needed to re-solder the wire to the pack (assuming that is how they were assembled in the first place).  I would be tempted to chuck the pack; I do not think that the value of the pack is worth the risk if the attempt goes South.  Maybe someone who has actually done it can chime in.

I have soldered Nihm packs before and even with those you had to be careful about how much heat you applied as it could damage the cells.  However, those cells were probably a little safer to handle.

Good luck

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 09:05:26 PM »
Has anyone had to replace the main wires on a battery pack? I had a problem with one lead and the pack is useless unless I can replace it. How do you do it?

Best,  DennisT
Can I ask why you have to replace it? I would be nervous because it  involves 2 wires and not one at each solder point. You will have a balance lead connected there too. If they are damaged because of a crash I would not trust the battery anyway. If its just insulation damage remove the connector ONE side at a time and just put heat shrinkover the damaged part. I would NOT recomend dis assembling and re-assembling the wires on the lipo,just too much to go wrong. It is way cheaper to buy a new battery than to risk getting hurt if it burns, or risk burning your house down. Please STAY SAFE!!!
AMA 98010

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »
It's a dangerous operation, almost like defusing a bomb. Protective glasses are imperative to use.

I already resoldered a balancer wire but I took all possible care.

The first thing I did was discharge the battery to 2,8v/cell. But it has to be done with a very low discharge current. Discharging the battery very slowly and recharging it Very slowly can restore health in some batteries.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 01:13:17 PM »

Best,  DennisT
Dennis, the answers you are getting imply that the battery is damaged within the covering but you question clearly stated the main battery lead which also implies the connectors.  There are a bunch of good video's on replacing connectors.  Leads are not much different. I have done both successfully.  BUT, along with the others, if you don't have the expertise to open the pack you shouldn't.  You know the spark that comes from a car battery when you hook up a cable?  That is 12v.  A 6s pack is twice that.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »
If it was me, I would clip the leads as close to the pack as you can manage and then send the pack to its salt water bucket death. 
Hard to burn your house down when the battery is simply taken out of commission. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 12:52:00 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 08:38:05 AM »
I learned (or relearned) that you should only use 60/40 electrical solder for connectors. This solder melts about 125 deg less than silver solder and does not melt the plastic or insulation.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here