News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery discharge limit  (Read 938 times)

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Battery discharge limit
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:04:13 AM »
Hello all,

To move the CG back, I changed from 3300 mAh to 3000 mAh batteries.
Since charge percentages are not too reliable, I checked each cell voltage after flight: 3,6 V, whereas the left capacity shows 7%. Seems OK to me, since the voltage is well above the minimum 3 V.
Does somebody have experience with this approach?
Regards,
Wolfgang

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Battery discharge limit
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
3 volt limit is to avoid permanent damage due to a single over discharge.
Going as low as 7% remaining will reduce the number of cycles the battery will last.

3.7 volts is a much safer resting voltage.

Rather than rely on voltage as an indicator of charge, do a non-balance recharge and see how much goes back in.
(Balancing can give higher values since the charger bleeds off charge to keep the cells in balance)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:29:45 AM by pmackenzie »
MAAC 8177

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
The magic 3V/cell number is for the battery under load.  At rest, the battery voltage bounces back.

Having said that -- I don't know by how much.  If you don't load them (i.e., if you measure with a voltmeter with a high impedance), then NiCd cells will get all the way up to 1.2V/cell even when they're near full discharge.  My understanding is that LiPo cells just work differently, but I haven't played with them.

It'd be a good science experiment to run a pack down to 3.2V or 3.5V or some other fairly safe value, then monitor its voltage over the next hour or so to see how rapidly and to what voltage it returns.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »
Hello all,

To move the CG back, I changed from 3300 mAh to 3000 mAh batteries.
Since charge percentages are not too reliable, I checked each cell voltage after flight: 3,6 V, whereas the left capacity shows 7%. Seems OK to me, since the voltage is well above the minimum 3 V.
Does somebody have experience with this approach?
Regards,
Wolfgang
Yes and for the same reason.  I had similar results.  I flew a set of 4 (I think they were Turnegy) 5s 3000's for a year and had not experienced any issues. Each one had about 30 cycles and showed no signs of failure including weakening near the end of the pattern.  They finished at around 15% and somewhere around 3.5 v.  I didn't check the voltage regularly after the flight only the %.  One cell was always lower by about 3-5% and I have no clue why.   I have had them go as low as 5% and still be over 3.0v

A lower "C" rating will also get you a lighter battery.  I have done quite well using 25 even though all of the "experts" recommend 30-40.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
Yes and for the same reason.  I had similar results.  I flew a set of 4 (I think they were Turnegy) 5s 3000's for a year and had not experienced any issues. Each one had about 30 cycles and showed no signs of failure including weakening near the end of the pattern.  They finished at around 15% and somewhere around 3.5 v.  I didn't check the voltage regularly after the flight only the %.  One cell was always lower by about 3-5% and I have no clue why.   I have had them go as low as 5% and still be over 3.0v

Ken

Just to chime in on battery life, 30 cycles is extremely low in battery cycle life. I'll go through 30 cycles almost in one race in my "other hobby"
Pretty much every manufacturer of Li-po batteries I've run uses a 20% rule of thumb for maximum battery life. If you drop below 20%, you'll shorten the batteries life. So, how often, and how accurate is that? No idea. But that's been my experience.
Thunder power batteries is right here in Las Vegas. We've been educated by them a few times with visits to our clubs, and their reps / sponsored pilots.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »
Just to chime in on battery life, 30 cycles is extremely low in battery cycle life. I'll go through 30 cycles almost in one race in my "other hobby"
Pretty much every manufacturer of Li-po batteries I've run uses a 20% rule of thumb for maximum battery life. If you drop below 20%, you'll shorten the batteries life. So, how often, and how accurate is that? No idea. But that's been my experience.
Thunder power batteries is right here in Las Vegas. We've been educated by them a few times with visits to our clubs, and their reps / sponsored pilots.
The point I was making was that I was at 30 each with that set of 4 running them down to 15%.   In cost per cycle that would be about the same as  60 on a ThunderPower.   The ThunderPower guys here get about 75 cycles before obesity sets in mostly because they are lighter.  They are swelling and going out at about the same rate as the Turnegys that I used.  They were just lighter and cost more!

However, your points are well taken.  20% is where it should be but, in my opinion that is to keep from getting the power drop off which I think starts around 10%.  I once ran a 4s 2200 I bought by mistake until the esc low voltage kicked in just so I would know how it felt as it lost power.   It ran down to the point I was taxing.  The ESC low voltage was set to 3.2 and I never reached it.  I think that means is that we/I may be setting the low voltage cutoff too low....or not.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »

A lower "C" rating will also get you a lighter battery.  I have done quite well using 25 even though all of the "experts" recommend 30-40.

Ken

I have seen the local experts here use the TP Prolite series and they are  25c.  We fly at roughly 20 - 25 amps average, so using 10c  or 10 x 2700 or 2800 for 27 amps.  25C is very adequate.
Fred

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
A few years back I datalogged and found that my low voltage under full load (with 6s) at the end of a flight was about 3.55v/cell.  Another fellow sent me his datalogs on 4S with similar findings, 3.57v/cell.  We were running down to the approximate 21- 22% level when measured at the end of a flight after a few minutes recovery.  That will have a voltage in the 3.74V/cell range resting. When I got home and the batteries recovered/rested longer, both the % and voltage came up a bit, say 24% and 3.77ish.  I get about 100 cycles/battery on Zippy compacts.  I then use them for about 100 more cycles at low amp draw as a pack to run my charger at the field.
Fred

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
The low battery cutoff is to try to minimize damage to the battery if you have a time failure or overrun, or if you put a partially used battery in the plane for a full flight.  It is set low enough to try to save the plane at the expense of long term battery health.  3.2 is acceptable since the plane in flight may get in the 3.5 range.  It isn't good for the battery so I wouldn't test to see if the battery bounces back ok.
Fred

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 10:37:22 PM »

However, your points are well taken.  20% is where it should be but, in my opinion that is to keep from getting the power drop off which I think starts around 10%.  I once ran a 4s 2200 I bought by mistake until the esc low voltage kicked in just so I would know how it felt as it lost power.   It ran down to the point I was taxing.  The ESC low voltage was set to 3.2 and I never reached it.  I think that means is that we/I may be setting the low voltage cutoff too low....or not.

Ken

I actually don't use thunder power anymore either. I use Dinogy. Coincidentally, also in Las Vegas.

I think you're right about the percentage thing. 20% may be an extreme for being conservative and safe. I don't exactly follow it either, but for racing, I don't keep my batteries long. I don't think I've kept a set for a year. I buy 4 or 8 at a time, and maybe use them for 6 months. I give them away before I notice any performance issues. Or, they get damaged and I have to recycle them! Haha

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »
The low battery cutoff is to try to minimize damage to the battery if you have a time failure or overrun, or if you put a partially used battery in the plane for a full flight.

More like it's there for the RC guys when they do the same thing.  Control line folks would never do that!

Helicopter ESCs used to come (and I think still do) with an option to disable the low battery cutoff, because loss of power in a heli is worse than loss of power in a plane.  When I was flying RC actively, only half the guys could even manage an autorotation, and only one practiced them consistently.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
More like it's there for the RC guys when they do the same thing.  Control line folks would never do that!

Ok Tim, I'll fess up.  I once put a battery in my plane after doing a short set up flight.  I had used about 1 minute 15 seconds, and then put it back in for a full pattern.  Yep, not very bright but it taught me to keep track of batteries and timer settings.  I hit the low battery setting and got to experience the taxiing that Ken mentioned.  It wasn't good for the battery.

I thought you also had made a TUT to give a "go or no go light" to avoid starting with a less than full battery; maybe I'm not the only one with low battery experience. At least this CL flyer has tested the low battery cutoff and I'm happy that it wasn't disabled. 
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags: battery voltage 

Advertise Here