News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery cycles - low  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Battery cycles - low
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
Guys,
I have been flying TP 4S 1P 3900 mah Pro Lite 4G packs for about 9 months. I have 5 packs and rotate them as the days flying unfolds. I use a TP 610C with balancer each time I charge and have only charged them at 1.5C rate. Two of the packs are the older ones have seemed to puff they only have 8 cycles on one and 12 on the other. My typical draw is 34 amps, for a flight time of 5 min 20 sec. The plastic covering seems to balloon out but the cell seems to be flat. I'm not sure what is causing this or if the cells are about to go? Also not sure why it is doing this with just a low number of cycles. Any ideas?

Best,             DennisT

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Battery cycles - low
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
puffing is ok - it happens to some packs - HEAT and puffing - NOT good.....

what do you do with your packs between your flying sessions?  do you put them is storage mode? i.e. nominal voltage........
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
Wynn,
Normal battery temp at the end of the flight is about 105F ish on a 90F day, can always pick them up, motor is a little warmer around 120F. I fly every week and normally charge them the night before, if I miss a week they will stay at the 30% level until charged. When I check the pack it seems that the plastic wrapper is what is puffed. How much puffing is OK? What causes this and should I send them back to TP? The pack still takes a balanced charge (within 0.02) and performs solid to the end of the flight.

Best,                DennisT

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
Hello Dennis,
If your packs are landing at 105 degrees on a 95 degree day and running strong throughout, then have no fear!
take care,
 Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags: Battery 

Advertise Here