« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:24:50 PM by Motorman »

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Battery Choice
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:33 PM »
For a 62oz model of that size the 4s 3700 or the 5s 2700 will be ample using a normal setup. (i.e. 12x6, 12x5 three blade, 13x5 or 13x6 two bladed electric props that don't use anymore mah than normal.

For example I'm now running a 13x7 electric three blade on a 72oz model using 3700mah 4s batteries and land with about 20% left.
Bandolero

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »
The active timer users seem to have migrated to 6s setups for more voltage headroom.  Just an observation to keep in mind.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »

For motor I'm looking at the Cobra 3520/12. I've got Hubin fm9 timer and CC Edge Lite 50 on my smaller planes but I have a Fiorotti timer with jetti spin 66 I want to try. Is the Edge 50 big enough?

The 3520-12 is more or less a 5 cell motor with 820Kv.  you could of course use 6 cell with it, but it's less efficient and the ESC will be running much warmer.  I would use the 3520-14 if you're going to use 6 cells.    But it still depends what prop you'll be using.

5 cell set up in my Saturn:

Saturn: 650 sq in.  weights: 64oz with battery.
Motor: Cobra 3520-12
ESC:    Ice-lite 50
Timer: Fiorotti V4.4
Battery: TP Pro-Lite 5S 2700 25C
Prop:  11x5.5 3-blade  Wood (from Arkady G.)
Lap speed: 5.3
Lines: .018  67.5'  C-C
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:38:05 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
I think that in general you save MA if you stick to a 5-6 range pitch prop.
Seems like in general, the low pitch arrangements use more battery, keeping the RPM's up.
If it were me (and it could be coming up soon), I would try to find a very similar sized plane that is successful, and pick the same motor/prop/ESC/battery arrangement if possible.
If not completely possible, I would stick to the closest KV and weight motor that matches the suspect plane and your plane. The rest should be fine tuning through the timer and prop; I would think that would get you close enough.

On buying batteries, you could by some less expensive brand "one-off's" of 5S and 6S and experiment with them, then wait for ThunderPower's holiday sales (and we are coming up into the holiday seasons being close together, yay!), The cheapo's should get you close and you can sell them after with 4 or 5 flights to an RC guy.

It's funny that you are "Motorman" and asking about E-power. No disrespect intended. Just thought you were more of a glow power guy.

Best of luck with your project.

R,
Target
PS. I sure don't mind not wiping off my E-powered plane after flying it. But the charging and storing and transporting of LiPo's makes me a bit uneasy. That is a lot of energy ready to go at the drop of a hat. Glow power seems safer in many regards. One cannot overstate the advantage of always having consistent power runs that you do with electric, though.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 02:14:48 AM »
OK 14 polls with 6 cell. Prop will be a 12.5-6 three blade but I can change it to anything. I see Igors props are 5 pitch does that work better with an active timer?

Lower pitch has better efficiency (I mean aerodynamical, not electrical, means better thrust difference to speed difference = better speed stability). My timer will work with any pitch or motor, the only point is proper match between motor KV, prop pitch and number of cells. One beginning, I highly recomment to copy "debugged" combos as was written above. There are too many variables to tune it without experience.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here