News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Charging when is it fully charged ?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Battery Charging when is it fully charged ?
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »
I have just completed all my wiring and initial set up of the ESC & Ztron Timer. I want to do some run tests so I hooked up the Thunder Power 610C charger and after  little hacking through the startup instructions (the Thunder Power instruction manual is not clear on how to get started if you are not a EE) I started charging the 3s2P A123 pack. I started at 3amps for the first charge as the battery pack instructions indicated (after thefirst charge they say you can go to 9amps). Charging is going fine I figured full charge would be 10.2V (3s x 3.4v/cell). Now the charger is ticking along and comes up to 10.22V after about 20 mins having put in about 950mah. There is nothing on the charger that indicates that the pack is fully charges, it is still adding volts and mah's. It is now at 10.35V and 2850mah after charging at 3amps for 1 hr. How do I know when it is full charged?

Best,      Dennis

Alan Hahn

Re: Battery Charging when is it fully charged ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »
Dennis,
I don't have the ThunderPower Charger, but I am sure it will cutoff at the right point. Does it have an A123 charge mode? Again I am somewhat unfamiliar with the A123 and what constitutes a full charge. You need to distinguish between nominal voltage, and fully charged voltage. 3.4V might be nominal voltage (but I DON'T know).

Typically charging Lipo's, the first part of the charge goes pretty fast, but then the last 10% goes pretty slow. It certainly isn't linear. I am not positive about the A123's.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:20:10 PM »
Dennis,
I just read that an A123 fully charged is 3.65V, so a 3s would be 10.95V. So your charger is probably heading for that endpoint.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 11:32:12 PM »
A123 cell has charging voltage 3.4V almost all the charging time. It is full when the volatge jups up (it goes very quickly and it allows quick charging) to 3.6 or 3.65V.

BTW if you have 2p pack, you can use 20A for charging, so you have full battery after ~15minutes.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the information, (the pack is a 3s2p A123 4600 mah, info for record). I plugged in the pack this morning and completed the charge to 10.95V, it took about 3700 mah. Charge does have A123 setting and did cut off and sound a beep once the pack hit the 10.95V. Since this was the first charge on the pack since I received it from the supplier (Model Electonics Corp) I charged at only 3 amps as recommended by MEC, total time of charge was about 75 mins. At the rated 10A from the TP610C charger it should take around 15 - 20 mins from here out. Now that I know how this works I will keep a log of the charge starting V, mah put in, time.

Interesting point is that the few test runs I did indicate that the A123 pack hold at least 9.9V down to 80% capacity (900 mah remaining in pack). This should be more than enough for a 5:30 min flight time. I will do some additional tests and will start flight test at 3 mins and see what is pulls out.

Best,     Dennis

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
Sorry I do not mean to jack your thread but I have a question I seem unable to get an answer for and do Not want to assume anything. Does the charger tell you the current voltage of the battery ? Is that how you know what the voltage is ? Does the charger also tell you how many amps you added to the battery ?

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »
Sorry I do not mean to jack your thread but I have a question I seem unable to get an answer for and do Not want to assume anything. Does the charger tell you the current voltage of the battery ? Is that how you know what the voltage is ? Does the charger also tell you how many amps you added to the battery ?

YES, and YES
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
Jim,
I have two chargers, but I would recommend the FMA CellPro 4s charger (will charge up to a 4s pack at a maximum current of 4 amps. If you need more there are other chargers, but likely to be more expensive. With this charger, you still need a DC power source like a car battery or a supply that plugs into the wall and supplies about 13V.

Anyway when you plug the battery into this charger (you may need an adapter since it plugs into the balancing leads of the battery), it will directly tell you the overall battery voltage, each individual cell voltage, and an estimate of how much capacity is left in the battery. As the battery charges, it tells you the estimated capacity and how much it has put into the pack. Also you can see the individual cell voltages and check to see they are all the same. The cost of the charger alone is $75+S&H, and they offer the AC power unit for another $30. However this setup often goes on sale (that's when I picked mine up), and sometimes is bundled with the AC charger.

So that's how I tell how much juice I have used.

There are other good chargers out there too. I might add at this point that I cannot use my FMA charger on my 2s730 Thunderpower Prolite packs because they (still!) come without balancing leads. I have heard this is because these cells are actually matched at "birth", and so stay closely matched. I can't verify that personally. Anyway, these I charge using my Astro 109 charger through the normal power leads connector. It is a good charger, and it is the first one I bought, but I think the FMA is a bit more useful for someone who plans to fly using packs in the 2-4s range.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here