News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:05:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Charger - which one should I get?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Battery Charger - which one should I get?
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
I've been flying EL Aerobatics now for over 18 months and can't see a reason to 'go back' to an IC powered model..  When I started with EL alot of my gear came from 'HobbyKing' - I bought a 4 port 'Quattro' charger which balances and charges different chemistry batteries at the same time. (the same unit appears to be sold by 'Tower' hobbies at a higher price)

I have never been completely happy with the charger - not sure that it has been 'balancing' the batteries properly, but good enough I thought at the time...  However about 2 weeks ago one of the 'ports' decided to fail - so now it will only charge 3 batteries at once and one of these ports is giving me very 'suspect' readings regarding the 'balance' side of things.

So now I'm looking at purchasing another charger and wondering what to get.  I now have about 12 batteries which when all charged will well and truly see me through a days worth of flying, so perhaps I don't need a 4 port charger any longer?  (although it was handy)

So if anyone has any thoughts on what is out there in battery charger land that is reliable I'd appreciate any comments - if you know where they are available and at what price that would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Bruce H
Bruce

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
Re: Battery Charger - which one should I get?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:58:31 AM »
Bruce
I have tried quite a few battery chargers.  I recently bought the FMA 10S and it has become my favorite real quick.  They used to be about $180 but now the price has come down to about $140.  One of the nice things about the charger is that you can hook up 2 batteries (up to 5S) at the same time and charge.  Another nice thing is (up to 4Amp) you charge each individual cell through the balance connector.  If you need to charge above 4 Amps you will need to connect normaly through the battery leads.  The one drawback is it is a DC charger meaning you will need to get a power supply or 12V car battery to charge.  I scrounged a 500W computer power supply, converted it and put the whole thing in a aluminum case with all my cables - take it to the field or into the workshop. 

Norm

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
FWIW, I've been getting emails telling me they are now offering refurbs...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
G/Day Hoffo
                    Try the Thunder Power they have a ac/dc single or just  ac single or twin charge .That's what Paul and I use ,you can get them from Wired R/C hobby shop  Qld

Bucky

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:25:18 PM »
Hoffo
    Sorry that's DC single and double charge not ac sorry about that ,plus u get your boards and fittings as well
bucky

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
Hoffo
    Sorry that's DC single and double charge not ac sorry about that ,plus u get your boards and fittings as well
bucky
Hi Bucky,,

Thanks for that... so many to choose from.  I've been looking at the 'Hyperion' chargers too, they seem like the 'Rolls Royce' of chargers but a little overpriced for me - a dual charger is about $340 Aust!  At the moment I'm leaning toward the FMA 10s mentioned earlier by Norm Whittle.. seems like it might be good and reliable ...  I basically want to be sure that I'm getting a full charge and that the batteries are being 'balanced' correctly; which is something I haven't been confident of with the Hobby King Quattro.  All the best - you missed some great weather at the 'State Champs'!!  (I guess Paul A. might have filled you in with the horrendous conditions we had!)
Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags: Lipo Battery chargers 

Advertise Here