News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery break-in or conditioning?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Battery break-in or conditioning?
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »
Guys,
With the new generation of Lipo's is there any advantage in doing a break-in to get better battery life? I understand that for the high amp users this was something that they did to easy a new battery pack up to full amp draw (i.e. 75 amp+). Since we are nowhere near this amp draw isn't our regular flight process of only drawing down to 75% about the same or is there a better way?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Re: Battery break-in or conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
Been conditioning all new  Lipo packs for U/C and R/C for some years by taking brief  flights for the first few and not using more than 60 %  of the total capacity  through the fifth or sixth flight.  My packs last me several hundred flights before a cell weakens or I notice puffing. I also believe in charging at no more than 2C; regardless of what the manufacturer says. I actually charge at 1C most of the time because I'm not in a hurry.That's another topic that some will debate.
 Use a Watt Meter or similar to monitor. Nothing scientific.

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
I bought one pack in 2009 and 3 in 2010. This season the last one finally died. I used to charge them at 4.19 volt instead of 4.2.
Last 2 years I had a new charger and charged them at 4.2 volt. They were not braken in. Nor did I use storage. I used storage the last 2 years.

In the mean time I had packs of differend brands. They only lasted one season.

Greetings Robert-Jan

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »
The best advice - 'Follow the manufactures instructions'  For example "First Few Cycles - Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs".  E-flight makes no mention about break-in cycles.  Do what you think is best.  It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference at the lower discharge rates we use.  I suspect always balance charging at 1C will probably have a greater impact on battery life than a few break-in cycles.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
Hi Dennis,
I'm with frank on this.
take care,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
Fran/Dean,
Can we do this with using the charger set for discharge? What discharge rate would be a good break-in rate (20 amps)?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I always do it in the air. Cooling and load . I use the Hubin FM-9; set my flight duration accordingly. My first 1 min ; thereafter increments increase to a 5min. 45 sec. flight  by the sixth . No doubt, a very  conservative method.
 FWIW, the bonus for doing it in the air is the  flight time and that = fun. #^

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
Ok, I just got the two new Zippy 25C Compact 4S 3700 mah packs set up with the deans connectors. For the first charge I did a very slow 0.5C, let it get everything in balance. The packs were nicely balanced from the start. I then let them sit for half and hour then did a 0.25 A discharge to about 85% capacity using the discharge feature in my TT 420 charger. Let them site half an hour then full charged.

Today went to the field did a one minute flight on each pack. Then charged them full (there is power at our field) at 1.5C. Took a three minute flight on each pack. Will now recharge to full and go for full flights.

At the end of each of the flights the packs were cool to the touch, didn't seem to be working hard at all, just the way I wanted.

Best,       DennisT

Advertise Here

Advertise Here