News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Batteries and Chargers  (Read 528 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Batteries and Chargers
« on: August 17, 2009, 04:47:31 PM »
now I am undecided on what to do with batteries - seems that the more expensive ones, Thunder Power etc are lighter - and supposedly better quality - but the Zippy/Rhino have rave reviews around all the forums - although 50 grams heavier in the capacity range I am looking at.

do the cost benefits really outweight the weight penalty?  this is the question I find myself asking.....

also - would it be more prudent to buy LESS batteries but with faster charging rate (up to 5c) or buy more 1c packs?

on the question of charging - what is the best way to go for a charger? or two ?  would I need 2 to keep up with a days flying?
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Batteries and Chargers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
Wynn,
I'm using PolyNoOne batteries on my Nats plane.  These were $65 each delivered.  I got 4 of them.  They are 4S2P 3400 20C packs that weigh a true 11 ounces.  I fly Rhino's in my Barnstormer and my R/C foamie.  Yes they do weigh more.  How heavy do you build?  If you build heavy, then a lighter pack would help.  How competitive are you?  Are you obsessed with weight?  Only you can answer what you can live with as far as batteries.  If you can afford them, then get the lightest packs you can!  I have four batteries and a Dual charger.  2 chargers in one.  It's a BC8-DX by Bantam.  You can see them at "RC Accessory".  My batteries are 1C charge rate and I usually have at least 1 battery ready to fly when I am.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:33:57 PM »
Another issue to watch is where you mount the batteries. If everything balances, then who cares if one battery is heavier than another--as long as you have enough capacityl

On the other hand, if you need to add weight to balance heavy batteries, then that weight needs to be added to the total.

I would really recommend making a battery mockup--basically for size--to see where you can fit it. Then as you are applying the last coat of finish to the model, order what you need. It doesn't help to have old stale batteries!

If you like high rpm/low pitch props, you will probably go with capacities a little on the higher side. If you use higher pitch low rpm props, you will be ok with lower capacity.

I don't think it hurts to survey us when you have a real plane, ready to go. That way you will know your final weight (and know how sensitive you are to different battery weights and sizes. Also you can survey us to see what people are using that works well.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
Alan,
I have a number of airplanes "ready to go" that I could quite easily fit an electric system in, - I have a number of vector 40s - all plan built - ranging from 42-48oz - also have a dreadnought - which is somewhat heavy.....not to mention Brodk Spitfire, and RSM Mosquito (in bones) that I am looking to add electric too...

so hence my question on batteries.

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
Well you can see what I use on a Vector 40 Arf in the sticky above. My total AUW is ~47 oz, charged and ready to fly. My battery fits right into the fuel compartment.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
Wynn,

I would buy the Turnigy Accucell 8 charger for $69 and use Zippy or Turnigy li-polys with out even thinking twice.  The Accucell 8 has a built in balancer, can charge NiCads, NiMh, Lead Acid, Li-Ion, Li-Poly, and A123 cells.  It can charge up to 8S.  The Zippy Rhino cells have worked great for me and the new Turnigy cells can be charged @ up to 3S I have heard.  I ordered some Turnigy packs to try.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:33:42 AM by Archie Adamisin »
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here