News:

• May 06, 2024, 04:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basic question about electrics  (Read 594 times)

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Basic question about electrics
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »
I was talking to Bob Hunt and we got to talking about electrics.  He peaked my curiosity and I'm going to show my ignorance concerning electrics (but the only dumb question is the one not asked I hope).  When you set up a new out of the box electric is there a break in process as there is with glow engines?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mike Palko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Basic question about electrics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
Hi James,
   To answer your question yes and no. If the motor is a brushed motor than yes, you need to break it in (seat the brushes). Chances are you will be using a brushless motor which requires NO break-in.

It is also a good practice to cycle your lipo batteries (about 5 times) at a lower current draw than you will be using in flight. Most of the packs used in PA are 3700-4200mah, so discharging them at 12-20amps is what you should aim for. This helps weed out any possible bad cells and gives you a chance to balance the cells making sure they all are 100% functional.

NiCd or NiMH cells (less likely to be used) should be charged at a very low current before their first flight. A good first charge is 1/10 of their capacity. This helps balance the cells (no one cell is over/under charged).

Normally one question gets answered and 2 more are born, so we will await you next question with open ears (or open eyes).  :)   

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here