News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BadAss motors reviews?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Mike Alimov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
BadAss motors reviews?
« on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:57 AM »
Has anyone purchased and evaluated the new BadAss motors from Innov8tine Designs?  Please share your reviews. I’m particularly interested in comparison with Cobra and E-Flite motors.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: BadAss motors reviews?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
    I have 2 , I flew one 7 times already ( BadAss 2826-690Kv Brushless Motor) in a Genesis Extreme. It works great!!!  These motors are basically a cross between the Scorpion and the Cobra motors that Innov8tive developed and marketed. The have the higher temperature winding  and  magnets of the Scorpions mated with the better bearings of the Cobra motors. There looks to be a few gram weight penalty with the Badass compared to the equivalent Cobra, I doubt that would matter in most cases. . If your system is set up properly , I doubt it would make any difference in most cases which one you were to choose.
   I also have the 3515-710kv. Haven't put it in a plane yet. It looks well made too and I'm sure it will work well when I do eventually use it.
   Cobra, Scorpion, Badass, E-Flite all work for us, pick the one that best suits your needs and use it.
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »
    I have 2 , I flew one 7 times already ( BadAss 2826-690Kv Brushless Motor) in a Genesis Extreme. It works great!!!  These motors are basically a cross between the Scorpion and the Cobra motors that Innov8tive developed and marketed. The have the higher temperature winding  and  magnets of the Scorpions mated with the better bearings of the Cobra motors. There looks to be a few gram weight penalty with the Badass compared to the equivalent Cobra, I doubt that would matter in most cases. . If your system is set up properly , I doubt it would make any difference in most cases which one you were to choose.
   I also have the 3515-710kv. Haven't put it in a plane yet. It looks well made too and I'm sure it will work well when I do eventually use it.
   Cobra, Scorpion, Badass, E-Flite all work for us, pick the one that best suits your needs and use it.
William,
Does the BA 2826 motor run as hot as the Cobra 2826?  This was my big reason to go to the Cobra 3515 motors.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
Crist,
   It's hard to say for sure at this point, its  been cool here. I much prefer the 3515 motors for the same reason as you. This 56oz plane fly's on a Hubin timer,6cell 2800mah battery and a 3 blade 11" Ressinger prop. I just don't have room in that plane for the 3515 or I would have one in that plane.  This plane is not flown very often as it was Kevin's main plane when he was flying. I decided to use it as a test bed for this motor since he hasn't used it in a few years. My gut feeling is that if you need a 2826 sized motor in a plane that's around 60oz, this will do the trick safely. This motor is also rear mounted so not sure how much of a difference if any that is making. More testing and with different set ups still needs to be done.
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »
Crist,
   It's hard to say for sure at this point, its  been cool here. I much prefer the 3515 motors for the same reason as you. This 56oz plane fly's on a Hubin timer,6cell 2800mah battery and a 3 blade 11" Ressinger prop. I just don't have room in that plane for the 3515 or I would have one in that plane.  This plane is not flown very often as it was Kevin's main plane when he was flying. I decided to use it as a test bed for this motor since he hasn't used it in a few years. My gut feeling is that if you need a 2826 sized motor in a plane that's around 60oz, this will do the trick safely. This motor is also rear mounted so not sure how much of a difference if any that is making. More testing and with different set ups still needs to be done.

Thanks Will.  I was just wondering if you noticed.  All the best.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
Just wondering if there are any updates to this motor anyone can share?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »
I bought BadAss 3515/710 to replace COBRA 3520/14 where in the specs has powers near BadAss a little more and its weight -30gr approximately.

Performance and battery consumption similar to COBRA ending with rotor temperature of 65 ° C and ambient of 30 ° C using 6S and 12x5 propeller 3 blades total aircraft weight at 1,840gr.

Important differences are in the magnets where BadAss follows the stator curvature for greater power.

The price is higher too.

Rogerio Fiorotti

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

[/quote]

Yup, I choose Plettenberg!  Best of the best!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
Yup, I choose Plettenberg!  Best of the best!

Got two more coming tomorrow.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
Got two more coming tomorrow.

What variety?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 02:23:51 AM »
15-22s.  New dog will have longer nose and lighter tail.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »
Just checked the Plettenberg web site, they make allot of different motors. Which one do you recommend for a 6s battery?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

As with everything electric, it depends.
What prop will you use?
What rpm will it run?

I have run MANY of the different sizes of the Orbit series motors. I have settled on the 15 series, and the second number is the "KV" designation. In this case, the bigger the number the lower the rpm range. The 22 suits the Igor 11*5 3 blade, although a 20 or 18 would work on that prop. The 22 is a low enough KV that it will drive Igor's 12*5  narrow and wide 3 blade as well. The 12" wide blade will NOT work on the 15-18. 

If running around 11k, the 15-22 will work with head room for an Igor motor control system.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Thread drift anyone?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
Thread drift anyone?

Yeah, I thought about that. They original question was about BA motors. They were to be similar to E-flite and  Cobra, but slightly better.

If I were to not use a Plettenberg, I would  use an E-flite. I ran the E-flite 32 for years. I also used the Cobras. I find the E-flite's extremely easy to change bearings. All those cheaper motors have bearing failures.  My Plettenbergs cost twice what the E-flite or Cobras do, but are far superior in bearing life.  I have some that are 13 years old now and are still on the original bearings.

I posted this as an alternative to the BA motor. Sorry if this "drift" ruined the thread.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
Yeah 15 posts so I'm new to this and looking for info on these motors.  But hey... what do I know?

The OP got his answer several times above, BA motors are equal to the task. Thread drift doesn't seem that big of a deal when multiple national and world champ is giving good advise but thanks for your 15th post on this site.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 02:56:25 AM »
Sorry. I diverted the discussion for a private conversation. It is indeed annoying to see that’s something posted on a subject you’re interested in, then to call it up and find that it’s irrelevant or worse. This very post, for example.

We got some good information from Paul, though on a different subject 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 07:53:38 PM »
I don't mind a little topic drift, but looks like Plettenberg now has its own thread.
Perhaps I should have provided a little background to my original question.
For those who are relatively new to control line (like my 11 and 13 yr olds) or retreads, encounters with terra firma are possible and not unlikely.  We bring backup equipment to contests: motors, props, ESCs, and airplanes. If we start buying Plettenbergs in these quantities at nearly $200 a piece, we should qualify for a free 3-piece suit, not just a polo shirt!
So the goal is to identify a motor with decent performance at a reasonable quality and price point. In the 2019 season we've given Axi motors a chance, but we're disappointed with some quality issues and high winding resistance leading to heat related losses.
So far the only quasi-quantitative feedback came from Rogerio, who was able to drop one size compared to Cobra while maintaining battery consumption and dropping over an ounce in the process. This points to better efficiency, possibly due to curved magnets.  If the posted Rm numbers are to be trusted, heat might still be an issue, unlike in Scorpions - which have about half the resistance of other comparable motors, but... tiny bearings, unfortunately.
And of course the BA motors are too new for anyone to know whether the Indonesian bearings will last at least one season.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here