News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turnig-g-g-g-g-g-gy  (Read 689 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Turnig-g-g-g-g-g-gy
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »
Turningy motors seem to be giving me grief....

Of the three I have been running (all are 35-48-900 SK) - one screams like a banshee - one is so loose on the magnets you can spin the can and it keeps going - the other one makes a growling type noise......

and one I haven't even used yet squeaks and binds REAL bad.....

They were a good way to get into ECL to figure things out - but I have now replaced them all with AXI and Scorpion motors - which seem to run a LOT nicer........

I guess you really do get what you pay for!!!!

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Turnig-g-g-g-g-g-gy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
Amen!

Bob Hunt

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
They are good motors to get into things with but they will fail. For sport application they are wonderful. And flights poer dollar are pretty good. But the risk when something goes sour can be  a lot. In RC my son and I have had 2 fail this year with less than one year service on one and only about 3 months on the other. I have lost one in control line after a prop strike, and one was a flying partner had just drew way too many amps out of the box. On opening it had loose parts inside. Not pretty. But the real cost cam be the loss of an airplane which is another mater entirely. I fly over water quite often in RC living on an island. And I fly all my RC planes here on the island. A plane in the water means more than a gone motor. ESC, servos, all unpredictable when they get wet. I've lost some of each. ESC's are pretty much a write off if they get wet by the time you get to them.  So I have left turnigy for rc because of that risk. My son lost two in rc to bearings but over on the mainland club field so plenty of room for an emergency landing... our field has a 2800 ft runway (that is not a misprint).

In control line we put a good deal of work into our planes. At least our planes stay local when the motor fails. But if it fails in the wrong spot it is not pretty. A number of us in my area have had very good success with turnigy in CL. But there is still risk. Of course expensive motors fail too. They can work, but you need to pay attention, monitor the amp draws and if something changes find the cause. Don't accept it. There is always a reason.  But I have also gone towards more robust motors. Its a reliability issue, and a days lost flying is... well, priceless.

bob branch

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
There is a reason that Hacker, AXI, and Plettenberg motors cost more. My Plettenberg Orbit 15-18 was one of the smoothest running electric motors I have ever owned. A funny fact to remember is that AXI used to be considered a "budget" low quality electric motor. Of course that is when the out runner was considered a low performance design that wasn't expected to become popular. Only geared electric motors were considered "high performance".

Rob

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
I just bought four 3548-1100 Turnigy SK from Hobby City. The first one of these I have used is in my Vector and is working well. That said, I had to dissasemble it to remove a small metal fragment that was intermittently locking it up. There were also some loose windings that I CA'd in place. Four motors for about $80, plus shipping.

These are cheap motors and have all the quality variability that comes with cheap. With some inspection they work OK.  But you definitely get what you pay for. If you are staking a big investment in time, money and energy to go to contests, perhaps another brand is better.

Watching PW's electrics smoothly cruise by could make you a convert to Plettenberg, but you have to be willing to pay the price.

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
The Arrowind 2832-05 is no better!
A group of us in Australia have been using them, some are ok and others not.
The problem is these motors are long and only have 2 bearings, so the "can" flexes and the magnets get scraped. This causes the motor to become noisy and vibrate. While I had a light weight APC pusher prop fitted, there were no problems. As soon as I put a wooden 13x5 pusher prop onto the plane there was noise and one ruined motor. (Scraped magnets.)
Bruce has had some success with grinding the magnets a little. Shouldn't have to do this though!
I think we have had close to 50% failure rate.
As they say, "You get what you pay for." It is cheaper to fit a quality motor first up than to replace the cheaper ones on a regular basis.
I have now just fitted a Plettenburg to my model and am waiting for the weather to clear so that I can test it.
I do know that it will work well........I hope  :D
Bandolero

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here