News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:37:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AXI 2826/13 V3 F2B from Esprit  (Read 3039 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
AXI 2826/13 V3 F2B from Esprit
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
Esprit Models sells an AXI 2826 motor that they specifically describe as F2B.  They also have a regular 2826 motor. 
Does this motor have the mods that Igor does to the AXI's that you get from him directly.  I think its an extra winding.
These motors come from Czech Rp as an F2B .
Is this motor the special one?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: AXI 2826/13 V3 F2B from Esprit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »
Hi Frank,
I used the AXI 2826 for about 4 years.  These were 2 motors l got directly from Igor and were the ones he got wound specially by AXI to complement his active control system.  My understanding was the the AXJ company was bought by a foreign entity and they introduced the V2 version of the motor and started selling it directly.   I bought 1 of these motors early on  from Igor and felt the quality of the newer ones was suspect.  A friend also bought a couple the had catastropjc failures within a month of purchase.  I don't  know  about the V3 but know that l moved on to a Plettenburg that I have now used for the past 4 years with no lroblems what so ever.
As a side note tne first V2 versions came at a reduced price along with the entjre AXI lk e of motors I think.  Production was probably,y moved from the Czech Republic to somewhere in Asia. 

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:31:13 AM »
We purchased a couple of AXI 2826/13 F2B from Esprit Models a couple of years ago.  The motor's price point and its pedigree set expectations for a higher than average performance potential.  In retrospect, I'd say that they did not quite live up to these high expectations. 

I started out with a bench test, by running multiple motors under the same load that emulates actual in-flight load (APC 10x6E at 10,400 RPM) and then comparing battery charge consumption and motor temperature.  The AXI was almost identical to Scorpion SII 3026-710, a little better than Cobra 2826-12 and E-Flite Power 32, but not as good as Plettenberg Orbit 20-16.  So far so good, although I noticed that the AXI was hotter after the run than most other motors.  I later correlated that to some of the highest winding resistance in the industry, which I can measure with sub-mOhm precision using tools at work.  This observation proved accurate in the field, as the motors were landing pretty toasty even in our mild Midwest summers.  On the positive side, I think AXI has some of the strongest magnets out there.

After a few dozen flights, I noticed that the shaft was no longer firmly held in the rotor by the two small set screws.  In order to get to the set screws, you have to remove the rotor and then an internal cooling fan, which is a flimsy plastic 3D-printed part glued in place.  It was impossible to remove the cooling fan without breaking it.  However, after looking at how the cooling system was designed in this motor, it was apparent that neither the fan nor the rotor body were doing anything to promote cooling, so I chose not to re-install the fan after the motor was re-assembled.  One of the two motors is still in service (another one was totaled at the Nats), but it is no longer on my list of equipment I'd buy again.  There are very decent motors out there at roughly half the price of AXI and almost identical performance.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:06:22 AM by Mike Alimov »

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »
Alan, Mike
Thanks for your inputs.  I had ordered one of the new ones in the Black Friday deals.  The thing I found interesting was that they specified "F2B" in the motor description.  V3-F2B  I'll certainly keep a close eye on the motor.  Without a doubt Plentenbergs are the gold standard.
Thanks again.

Offline Vitalis Pilkionis

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »
Axis 2826/13 of the first version was made with a plastic fan inside. Mine broke during a flight. I was lucky the motor did not seized in flight and I heard clattering sound while carrying my model back after landing. The new version of the motor has aluminum fan.

Vitalis

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 02:32:30 AM »
I cannot speak for Esprit models, but may be I can bring some usefull info here.

1/ there were 3 versions so far.
v1 was classic old axi 2826 without fan. Fan was extra metal device mounted on 3 screws from outside, but usefull only in case of front mounting. That was good thing, because front mounting has worse ventilation than back mounting.

v2 is version on picture from Vitalis and that is also picture on page of Esprit model. I do not know why they call it v3 and also not why F2B and also why 13 winding, picture clearly shows 12 winding v2. This had plastic ABS fan inside the motor in "dynamic suction" mode. Later replaced by metal fan.

v3 is newest version with classic integrated fan

2/ there are versions with 10 12 13 and 14 windings (for us). Version with 14 was sold in shops of one reseler only and I think it was only version v1. Now we have 10 12 and 13 winding version. Version wit 13 winding was designed with me on v1 version and it was not normally available. After change of direction in company, they took it to v2 in normal sale and there is new version 2826/F2B instead of 2826/13 which has identical stator and winding, but there are some mechanical differences. Marking is directly or rotor and text say 2826/F2B instead of 2826/13

3/ problems with fan. As Vitalis wrote first version of v2 has ABS fan. That was fully ok for sport R/C motors, but we overload those motors (motor weights 180g and people like to put it to 1800g or heavier models with large props way over "specification"). So motor is verloaded and thus it runs hot. That is big problem for ABS material which can crack after long run in such conditions. So the metal fan was replaced in newer F2B motors and later it was also in normal production, so last motors of v2 should have metal fan also in 2826/13 version. The new version v3 has classic fan in back side of rotor as part of rotor.

I will try make pictures later.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 05:57:04 AM »
So here are all 3 versions of AXI 2826/F2B with visible differences.
Left to right - v1 v2 v3

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 12:22:22 PM »
Thanks Igor for your input ..... a picture is worth a thousand words ...

It looks like the motor I got from Esprit recently was indeed a V3, although the box said v2 .... so far no problems with it

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
 ;D

I had boxes marked every time differenet :- )))

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 04:08:56 PM »
Igor,
For those with v2 and the ABS fan, is there a solution for replacement or something else to prevent the condition that Vitalis encountered with his?  I have one of these models and would like to avoid a failure.  Obviously running cooler will help, any suggestions on airframe or weight limits.
Thank you,
John
John Paris

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
If you mean to do it yourself, then not. Rotors are dynamically balanced and shimmed for exact free play and you cannot do it youself home.

The only chance is to post it to factory. Write me PM if you want send it.

Anyway, the point is not to let motor periodically overheat. I fly mine long time without problem with that plastic ventilator. But I use heat sink and I have it mounted reversed (on firewall) with minimally 2mm large space between fuselage and spinner. There is a suction and it takes hot air from output vent of motor out of the fuselage very well.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 08:03:17 PM »
Igor,
Thank you for the reply.  I will need to try it out to see if I am going to have a problem with heating.  Will keep your advice in mind.
Regards,
John
John Paris

Offline Vitalis Pilkionis

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »
After the incident with the broken fan, I completely removed all the remainings of the red plastic off the motor. I'v had no problems with overheating afterwards as I also run the motor with an aluminum heatsink attached, which according to Igor himself is far more effective for cooling than a fan.

Greetings,
Vitalis P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here