News:

• June 16, 2024, 09:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parallel charging board  (Read 569 times)

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Parallel charging board
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
I was looking for last minute no bid bargains on Ebay and ran accross a parallel charging board.It has ports for up to 6 batteries and balance plugs.They claim it will charge in a shorter amount of time and that the board will handle 30A constant charging current.The item no. is 330569825849.Has anybody used one of these because it sure would be nice to charge up to 6 batteries at once.You would almost never be waiting on the charger to finish so you can go fly.The real kicker is they are less than $20.00.Do they work and should I get one???Thanx,Jeff
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Parallel charging board
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
It needs a balanced charger that can deliver enough current to charge several packs at once. 4 packs @ 4amps = a 16 amp charger.  It also straps all of the batteries in parallel.  I am not sure how you balance cells in parallel.  It may work but - what do I know.

???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »
It needs a balanced charger that can deliver enough current to charge several packs at once. 4 packs @ 4amps = a 16 amp charger.  It also straps all of the batteries in parallel.  I am not sure how you balance cells in parallel.  It may work but - what do I know.
I'd go look on the RC forums and see if you can find anything.

I design circuits, and I know a little bit about charging batteries (although it's been a long time since I've designed a battery charging circuit for money).  So, calculate the size of the grain of salt with which you want to take the following statements.

I think this would work.  Plugging the cells in parallel shouldn't hurt: a discharged cell and a fully charged cell are pretty close together in voltage, so you're not going to cause huge currents to flow (unless you plug in a battery that's fried, in which case it may take it's friends with it -- but that's unlikely).

The one real drawback that I can see is that you have no control over how the current is steered.  That means that, in theory, one highly discharged pack could get all of the current from the charger during the initial constant current charge interval.  If the charger were delivering enough current for the whole array of packs, you might push too much current through the one pack.  That's easy enough to protect against: don't set the charge current at more than any one pack can stand.  You'll lengthen the constant current charge phase a bit, but that's not what takes the most time anyway.

Had I a need to charge so many packs at once I could see buying (or making) one of these.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »
I've done allot of parallel and high amp fast charging in the last year. First I want to say that [size=12pt]it should only be done with batteries that are in a state of similar discharge[/size]. Also not only do you need a charger that is capable of delivering that kind of power. You also need power supply capable of powering it!!!!!! I use a 24 volt supply. I run 2 high power chargers capable of delivering 50 amps total. I can charge 4 4s 4000 at 3c in about 15 minutes, I made my own parallel cables and standard balancing boards can be strung together. Yes my wires and deans do get warm but not hot. There is a thread already on this topic http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20031.0 Pictures of my set up are there too including the parallel balancing boards but you have to look carefully at the first picture.
AMA 98010

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Hi All,After doing a bit of research I ordered one.I usually do not charge at greater than 1C to keep my batteries from getting warm while charging.My power supply and charger will easily charge 2 3500 MaH packs at a time at that rate and if I stick to charging 2 from the same ship,timer,pattern,ect. hopefully I won't run into the voltage mismatch problems.If I can only charge 2 at a time it still cuts my charging time in half and that is worth $20.00 to me.I will keep everyone posted if it works or not.Jeff
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Jeff,
Wether you charge at 1C,5C or even 10C your batteries should NEVER EVER EVER GET WARM!!!!. If they do you have a problem with that battery and I would make sure that that battery is stored in a safe location,preferably outside. Odds are pretty good that you have a battery that is failing or has already failed.
AMA 98010

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
Hi William,Thanx for the concern.I am sorry if I misled but my batteries don't get warm.I am still new to the whole ECL experience and just thought the 1C rate to be safer.After reading the replies I decided to do an experiment.I have an ARF Pathfinder converted to E-Power with what I call CHAS (CHeap Ass Setup).It consists of a Turnigy 3548-1100kv motor($20.00),Mystery 40A ESC($23.00),Turnigy 4S 3000MaH 20C Battery($22.00),and a Hubin FM-0c timer($13.00).I wanted to see how close the voltages and MaH usage would be after a few similar flights.I flew a dozen flights using 3 batteries with 4 flights each.The prop was a stock APC 11X5.5EP @ 9800 RPM on 60' Eye to Eye lines.The timer was set for 3 1/2 minutes.I fly Beginner PAMPA and need the practice for the nats. so I flew the beginner pattern for each flight and the remainder of the flight time was spent practicing specific manuvers.The FM-0c burps for a second 5 seconds before it shuts down so you can prepare for landing.The CHAS performed the same every flight and the ending voltage and the MaH usage was very similar after every flight.The voltage was from 15.27 to 15.31 volts at the start of the charge and the MaH put back in ranged from 1560 to 1587MaH.Just a simple experiment but I think the voltages are close enough I won't have any ill effects.I have a cell checker and will check them from time to time to make sure the cells are balancing properly.Finally getting my Pathfinder put back together and flying well is just an added bonus!!!Jeff

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:42:27 AM »
Jeff,
There is nothing wrong with chas setups as I have experimented with those as well as middle and extremely high priced stuff. I've worked a lot with Ron Heckler to come up with some excellent budget setups as seen in last months MA magazine. In any case I will be at the Nats. My son may be flying beginner so maybe we can spend some time chatting and going over setups if you would like. I'll also be at Brodaks next week if you are going there. Sounds like you are doing very well with your setups anyway. Your Turnigy batteries are not rated any higher than a 2c charge anyway.
AMA 98010

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here