News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AXI 2820-8 can it run on 4S1P pack?  (Read 2329 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AXI 2820-8 can it run on 4S1P pack?
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Guys,

I have a AXI 2820-8 that I had run on a A123 3S2P pack. Since then I move to the AXI 2826-10 and a 4S1P Lipo pack. I have an old ship that I was thinking of putting the 2820 in and would like to use the 4S1P Lipo pack in. Can this motor handle this, I assume that as long as I load it similar to what I ran the 3S2P it should be fine, correct?

Best,      Dennis T

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AXI 2820-8 can it run on 4S1P pack?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:39 AM »
Stuntguy-Dennis

It looks like the Axi 2820-8 is rated at kv=1500.  That is awfully fast for 4S.  We have had good luck with the Brodak motor (also 1500 kV) using 3S but it is not happy turning more than a 10" prop.  Thus your Axi on 3S Lipo using a 10x5 on a classic sized stunter should be a pretty good match.

I also learned that the new Phx software is designed to gover ONLY above 70% throttle.  I think 4S on the 1500 would put you down around 50% throttle.

the Axi with 4S MIGHT be fun if you put an 8x6 prop on it, let it spin up around 16,000  and put it on something like a Flitestreak - it should go like h#^!!$* (blazes)  VD~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:39:52 AM »
Dennis,

I see what you mean, the reason I wanted to use the 4S1P is I could get double duty from the existing packs. Might be easier to get one of the lower Kv value motors. The CC software that you spoke of is this the 3.12 release? Is the 70% limit in Fixed rpm mode or only in governor mode?

Best,     Dennis T

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Reading on the RC Groups forum the new software will still govern at below 70% but Castle just marks the spot where they recommend the governor to operate at 70% to something like 90%.  The software will also flag when the rpm is higher than CC recommendations.  BTW these figures are for rpm not % of throttle.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Dennis,

I see what you mean, the reason I wanted to use the 4S1P is I could get double duty from the existing packs. Might be easier to get one of the lower Kv value motors. The CC software that you spoke of is this the 3.12 release? Is the 70% limit in Fixed rpm mode or only in governor mode?

Best,     Dennis T

Like Crist said, the 70% limit is in 3.13.  The prior version, 3.12 gives a little more room, but still might not fit your 4S/1500kV combo.

Crist: I was using the phrase "70% throttle" interchangeably (and probably incorrectly) with the idea of "70% RPM".  In either case it might cause us a little pause in motor selection, as the bottom end of control range comes into play much sooner.  Example" I have some 1200kV motors that are now relegated to 5" pitch or below (with 4S) because of the new limit, even though we have flown these motors very successfully with 11x5.5's about 1000 RPM below the Phx 3.13 limit.

Stuntguy: I still think that ffffast Flite Streak would be fun!!!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »
OK, OK,

Guess this is not the best set up but if I drop the pitch to 11x 4.3 on 60' lines my Calc's show I need 11000 rpm for a normal 4.8 lap time. Could be worth a try. This would be the Electric High rpm/ low pitch set up. As long as the motor can take the voltage why not?

Best,            Dennis T

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
From Joe Ford from Castle from the RC Groups Vendor section - Castle Creations - New Frimware - page 3

He is talking about head speed but I think it is all the same for our purposes.

"Guys...just because it's giving you a headspeed error does NOT mean that it won't try to do that headspeed. Click on the info button to the right. It tells you why it can't go up that high, but it does NOT mean that it won't try to do it. Just wanted to clarify that. There is NOTHING different about this than the old version other than we give you more info on why it WON'T WORK."

Notice what he says about the old and new versions.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
Dennis T.

The 1500 kV motor would work well with a 2 or 3s pack, but I agree with others that "4s"ing it might have some issues.

Mainly look back at some earlier posts on heating issues you can have at partial throttle. To recapitulate, running 20A at 50% throttle produces heating in the battery and ESC equivalent to an average current of 28A. As long as your ESC and batteries have the current carrying and "C" rating for this current you probably will be ok, but if for example, you tried to use a 25A ESC thinking you are "ok" with 20A average current, you might be overheating it.

By the way I interpret 50% throttle to mean that the current pulse from the battery is 50% of the max width. So if the ESC has a PWM rate of 12kHz, the max pulse width would be ~83 microseconds long(which would end up being "Full on"). 50% throttle would be on ~41 microseconds, and off the same amount of time. This isn't 50% power or rpm necessarily.

I am guessing most of you are using higher capability ESC's and batteries, but just thought I'd mention that point.

Also if you want something to use on that 4s pack, I'd recommend a Scorpion 3020-14 or so. They are only ~$60 as I recall.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
From Joe Ford from Castle from the RC Groups Vendor section - Castle Creations - New Frimware - page 3

He is talking about head speed but I think it is all the same for our purposes.

"Guys...just because it's giving you a headspeed error does NOT mean that it won't try to do that headspeed. Click on the info button to the right. It tells you why it can't go up that high, but it does NOT mean that it won't try to do it. Just wanted to clarify that. There is NOTHING different about this than the old version other than we give you more info on why it WON'T WORK."

Notice what he says about the old and new versions.

That is interesting.  I was tempted to ignore the "warning" but did not trust my luck!

I did some messing around with various kv and cell counts just to see what I could see.  On the high end you can generate a "won't go that fast" comment easy enough using either version of software, but on the low end you get a "won't govern below 70%" message on 3.13.  HOWEVER version 3.12 will let you go quite a bit slower than 70% without generating the "too slow" comment.  Could be the governing is no different, and all they did was supplied a BETTER set-up guide.

Of course, for the reasons Alan mentions too slow is not a very good idea, under any case.

??? Today's dumb question: I thought we were supposed to be targeting operating speeds of roughly 75% of available RPM.  However, if 70% is the new "bottom" then maybe the 75% ROT needs updating as it only allows a few hundred RPM above that..?  ???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »
That is interesting.  I was tempted to ignore the "warning" but did not trust my luck!

I did some messing around with various kv and cell counts just to see what I could see.  On the high end you can generate a "won't go that fast" comment easy enough using either version of software, but on the low end you get a "won't govern below 70%" message on 3.13.  HOWEVER version 3.12 will let you go quite a bit slower than 70% without generating the "too slow" comment.  Could be the governing is no different, and all they did was supplied a BETTER set-up guide.

Of course, for the reasons Alan mentions too slow is not a very good idea, under any case.

??? Today's dumb question: I thought we were supposed to be targeting operating speeds of roughly 75% of available RPM.  However, if 70% is the new "bottom" then maybe the 75% ROT needs updating as it only allows a few hundred RPM above that..?  ???

Could be the reason why I want to run at 9600 instead of the paltry 8400 with the 12x6 "wonder prop"?

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
Dennis A.

I think the 75% target was a safe target--giving the overhead voltage, even at the end of the flight when the battery is getting pooped out.

The trick is to remember what voltage are you using in this calculation---the fully charged voltage (16.8V =4*4.2V) for a 4s pack), or the average loaded voltage during a flight (14.8V=4*3.7). To be honest, I don't exactly remember, and I bet that I have used both values in posts here! n1

Information from my data recorder shows that I fly level laps at about 280 watts, and in my overheads I peak (very briefly) in the 440 watt range. When I made the theoretical motor plots (posted some time back) for 4 throttle settings (I think 70, 80, 90, 100%), I noted my needed input power ranged from ~75% throttle (level flight) to 80% throttle at the peak 440 watts. So what I think I came away with was that it doesn't take much of a throttle change to really up the watts.

I see I used a battery voltage of 13.8V as the full throttle for that calculation This is what my loaded battery is putting out near the end of the flight. See there is another Voltage to think about!

So 70% throttle would be like having a battery with 70% of that value--about 10V at the end of the flight.

Advertise Here
Tags: motor 

Advertise Here