News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automatic in-flight power management?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Peter Germann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Automatic in-flight power management?
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
Dear Friends,

It is with great interest that I follow the “electric” threads on this forum and recent remark made by Kim Doherty about testing the use of an accelerometer reminded me of my earlier idea to design a (IC) power train being capable to keep line tension constant. After all, isn’t line tension the governing force when it comes to control a stunter on the hemisphere?

Brushless electric motors offer fast and accurate power modulation over a broad range. Power stages being able to handle the loads are shelf items and I could imagine that the design of a, if I may say so, second generation in flight power management system is within reach, both technically and financially. Perhaps using lateral acceleration as an input parameter for a controller generating the minimum power required to keep the lines tight, could lead to a comfortably slow yet perfectly controllable airplane. Unfortunately the making of a mathematical model investigating the potential my proposal is beyond my personal level, but from what I have seen laid out on this forum before, I am positive that those being capable to contribute will quickly sharpen their pens.

Kind regards
Peter Germann

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
Re: Automatic in-flight power management?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
Just thinking out loud. The problem with an using lateral acceleration as the only input woud lead to errors as the model starts to fly above vertical. The gravitational acceleration is normal (perpendicular) to the lateral acceleration (which is approx. equal to the line tension) and in level flight  has  no effect on the  measured lateral acceleration (line tension). But the gravitational acceleration begins to reduce the line tension and the lateral acceleration as measured by the device as the model flies higher in the hemisphere. The plane would have to speed up a fair amount to maintain the same tension high in the hemisphere even though the tension is a function of the square of the velocity. So it seems to me that the concept of constant tension would be difficult to achieve with this method without compromising other desired traits.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:35:19 AM »
Perhaps the term "constant" (line tension) I was using is misleading inasmuch as we do not really want the airplane to pull equally hard in level flight and on top of the circle. However, while we are used to gravity reducing line pull on top, sometimes up there tension gets a bit too light and we then loose the ability to properly deflect control surfaces. This is where a line pull dependent power regulator could help. Even if it would not re-establish 100% of the level flight pull.

On the other side, at 5.3 sec/lap my current 71 oz. (with fuel) MC-72 airplane generates 13 pounds of line tension in level flight (LineIII). I suspect that I could possibly fly slower and still have pull enough to allow full elevator&flaps deflection. IF it would speed-up to maintain that, yet to be defined, min. line tension speed all over the hemisphere.

Also, the line tension sensor system does not have to be an accelerometer. It would perhaps be simpler and less expensive to measure the actual line tension force at the bellcrank shaft by means of a pressure transducer.
Peter Germann

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:59:02 AM »
My thought for as long as I have read about electric is the use of a Gyro, such as used in helicopters for heading stabilization. onyl hooked up to corelate to nose up nose down motion. My thinking is that the only power regulation we need is with regards to nose up deceleration (accelerate rpms) and nose down acceleration (brake motor rpms). I really dont know all that much about the inner workings but to me it seems plausible. I havent actually gotten started flying Electric yet, actually just got back into flyin last year after many years, (um since 81) but I do have the makings for a set up to get started flying with and have pondered this question much. No engineer here just thinking.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
Hi All,
Both AMA and FAI have something to say on the kinds of feedback permitted.
A great deal is not permitted, including gyros, airspeed transducers, etc.
The constant RPM governor is better than even I had imagined, though I strongly
suspect that Peter's idea of constant line tension/centripetal accelleration would be great!
For now, I choose to focus on the broader issue: "How can I fly with good line tension
everywhere with slower lap and maneuver times?" An adaptive RPM governor or throttle is one very practical route.
Airplane configurations that would never work within the constraints posed by wet tank location are now fair game, as well.
A careful reading of both AMA and FAI shows only a small amount of wiggle room, and I would generally opt for a single common solution.
Great discussion!
all the best,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »
I hope I do not break any rules if I add a link to one old thread from another forum:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=139064&mesg_id=139064&listing_type=search

igor

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »
Hi Igor,
I remember that thread! It was good reading. I thought you summed it up nicely at the end: simple is better and constant RPM works wonderfully. I would add that is true if the propellor diameter is large enough.
best regards,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:42 AM »
Hi Igor,
I remember that thread! It was good reading. I thought you summed it up nicely at the end: simple is better and constant RPM works wonderfully. I would add that is true if the propellor diameter is large enough.
best regards,
Dean Pappas

and I would probably add to the above ... lower pitch and adjust rpms for speed.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 06:39:38 AM »
>>>lower pitch and adjust rpms for speed.<<<

Looks I have to write little more ... it is not only pitch, it is POWER - or better - power to WEIGHT ratio ... means you can have high pitch prop, but available power at low rpm ( = torque) will push the thing to the same point ... it little different than IC engines ... IC engine has torque limited by volume and lower pitch means more power, but electric can easily work with props with high pich if we have enough torque

by other word, more power (does not matter if high rpm or low rpm) to weight means lower slippage = smaller speed variations = better powertrain quality

what Peter wanted to have (at least how I understand the initial question) is, LOWER POWER, but clever device which can handle slippage by variation of prop PRM ... that will save weight a money

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
Hi All,
Erik Janssen has done some excellent bench tests in order to compare the response time of various governor/ESCs to a disturbance in load.
he has sent me a pile of data and I really should assemble it and post a new thread.
His tests involve running the governor under a reduced load by partially stalling a larger than normal propellor
with a plywood plate placed closely in front of the prop.
He then abruptly removes the plywood, and the RPM momentarily droops down and then recovers.
The RPM recovery times with the Castle Phoenix are fast enough to cope with a Stunt square corner,
and this despite the need for something close to double the power needed to maintain the same RPM.
all the best,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
Hi Dean,

I know what you're talking about, for Erik and I did most of those tests together, using -besides his stuff- the motor, ESC and battery from my WCh 2006 set-up.

I was really happy with last year's results though I too suspected there was some power left in the system.
This probably due to the rather sluggish reaction on the instantaneous load increase of the Kontronik ESC as compared to the CC. But that one didn't have the brake and I'm not goin' to fly without one...

Intuitively I cranked up the revs by 2% or so after the horizontal eights (my sequencer allows for that) and that did the trick in Spain.
I now think I've got to load the motor even more to allow for a more constant airspeed.

Never mind, we'll get there.

Very interesting was, when Bob and I swapped planes for 1 flight each when the contest was over, that the Genesis and Blue Pearl were very close in feel and behavior...

I too think there is no need for complex solutions. Just a proper Power/Weight ratio and a constant rpm will do the job. As good as IC or maybe even better.
What I really liked is the ability to talk to my coach while flying....

Bruno van Hoek

'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here