News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Electric Super Clown - First Flight  (Read 1901 times)

Offline fred krueger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ARF Electric Super Clown - First Flight
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »
This noon Alan Hahn put in the first flight of his Brodak ARF Electric Super Clown.  Alan will most likely post his impressions under his previous thread.  From the perspective of the 'stooge', the trim looked pretty close on the first flight...wings level both directions.  The plane seemed to groove and the turns and corners were smooth.  Here are a few pics.  The 'stooge' is kneeling by the plane.

Fred

Alan Hahn

Re: ARF Electric Super Clown - First Flight
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
It was 21F out there (notice the ice lake opposite the pilot in the photo! I had to find one spot where there was no ice.
The plane did groove pretty well. It could use a little more on the top. I was using 15 thousandth lines, and I think they are somewhat longer than 60 feet. I'll makeup some 60 foot 12 thousandths lines tonight. The prop is the Graupner 9-4 electric. The lighter lines and the slightly shorter length hopefully will improve the vertical performance. I could also go to a different prop.
One disappointment is my data recorder didn't work for some reason (a corrupted buffer--maybe it was too cold for it too!)
Overall the darn thing had better trim than any other of my previous planes.
Thanks Fred for the photo's and an execellent stooge job!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »
Hi Alan,
   Thats good news about the ARF electric Super Clown. Looks cold outside ;).

As for the line length, all the prototypes I flew used .015" x 60' lines. Vertical performance was never a problem. I think the lack of power you are seeing is the cool Lipo temps. Lipos don't perform well in cold weather and 21F is pretty extreme!!!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »
Hi Alan,
I'm with Mike on this one. You probably don't need to change a thing in the basic setup: just run the batteries at a more suitable temp.

Pre-warm your batteries if you must fly in 21 degree weather, and try putting your battery in a small paper envelope to keep it a bit warmer. If that isn't enough, try a tin foam elvelope or thin bubble wrap. If you can at least get the plane to land with the battery at body temp that will work. (use the old baby's milk on the wrist test). With my 2500 to 3000 Watt F3A setups I actually stick a foam rubber block into one of the two the battery cooling inlets for weather under 65 degrees, and on really cold days, I would even tape over half of the remaining inlet.

Charge your batteries at the field in a small styrofoam cooler to keep them warm. Maybe you could even put the charger inside thge cooler to raise the  battery temp under charge to the same as a summer day.

Of course, you get kudos for going out in the cold!
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

Re: ARF Electric Super Clown - First Flight----Second flight
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Well it was a heat wave---29F, but the wind was pretty lite at 5mph, so I took the SuperClown out to the field. Had to use my real stooge this time, trick was to find something to hammer the stakes into the frozen turf (littered here and there by Canada Geese droppings).
This time the data recorder worked, so I attach a png of the chart. What is shown is rpm (top line--with scale on left vertical axis), Current draw (amps) next line down, Battery voltage (gray) at the connector (not motor),  cumulative maHr (red), and finally watts. On the legend, tha max and average values are shown. I think it is interesting that both the rpm and current show effects of the light wind, you can count the laps.

The motor was armed just past the 0.5 minute mark. The intial high current draw was while I was walking out to the handle (avoiding the goose grease!). Note how the current drops from ~31A (right axis for scale) as the plane takes off to straight and level flight values of ~26A. The highest current draws during the flight was the reverse wingover, peaking at about 30A. I did all maneuvers but did bail out of the vertical eight and hourglass when I chickened out on the  lower parts. After all, it was only the second flight!

I haven't changed anything from yesterday, but the plane did seem a lot better in the verticals ---this was probably due to yesterday being a case of pilot's nerves or the slight strangeness of how the electric power flies the plane. It is a different sensation. In both cases I had kept the battery inside and only took it out just before plugging it into the wing slot.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
Alan,
   Excellent info!! I think the data you collected proves and explains the problem.

The static current draw you measured was 31amps. On warm/hot days I always measured ~34-36amps static (this is probably a result of the low battery voltage due to the cold temps).

The battery capacity consumed was only 2564mah where I measured ~2700-3000mah (depending on props used). Again, this is probably due to the cold causing the voltage of the pack to drop, which in turn lowers the current draw. 

I am happy to see both the RPM and voltage seems to stay fairly constant. Are you using a JMP timer? If so does it step up the power? It would be nice to see the graph scaled differently so you could see more detail.

I hope you get her dialed in when the weather breaks!! You will have to update us with a new graph with warmer temps. Nice work.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »
Thanks for ther data Alan!
Is this the "stock" Brodak "E" setup?
Can you offer some more details as to motor, battery, timer, ESC?
Thanks again,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »
This was all Brodak stock (motor, battery, ESC, and timer) at this point. For Mike, I am using the Graupner 9-4 e prop--this is the lightest load prop (in the 9-4 range) I have.
I do have a JMP timer, which I will put on at some point (once I figure out how to program it). That will eliminate the waste of power as I walk out to the handle. Also will allow me to set a lower throttle setting (if that works of course).

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:51:59 PM »
Sounds good Alan. I used mostly APC-E props, the 9x4.5 to be specific. I had the best results with them repitched to ~9x4.

Depending on the line length and timer (throttle control) you use you may have to change the pitch. The Super Clown is a small airplane so you can get away with >60' feet if need be.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
This was all Brodak stock (motor, battery, ESC, and timer) at this point. For Mike, I am using the Graupner 9-4 e prop--this is the lightest load prop (in the 9-4 range) I have.
I do have a JMP timer, which I will put on at some point (once I figure out how to program it). That will eliminate the waste of power as I walk out to the handle. Also will allow me to set a lower throttle setting (if that works of course).

Hi Alan,

I'm glad to hear good things about your turnkey Clown system. It's success may help bring more turnkey ARF elec. systems for more modelers to enjoy. It looks like Mike did a great job helping to make this a solid ARF.  

You should get an "IRON MAN" award for braving the elements in the name of research. :-)

You will like the JMP unit. It is solid, very flexible, and gets easy to use with practice. I too was initially put off by it's button programing method. After playing with it several times, it turns out to be a very simple system to program. Making changes in power settings and time frames is easy and only takes a few minutes to accomplish. Will Moore got me started on the JMP units and now, like him, I routinly make adjustments at the flying site.  

Before you start to use it, do your self a favor and make a simple piece of test equipment. Will Moore published a picture of his in Stuntnews last year. I made a smaller version, putting my mini servo, battery, and 0% to 100% arc into a 3"x2"x4"  plastic box (I used the plastic box an Airtronics servo came in). This will make programing the JMP much easier. It also allows you to do a test "run" on any changes you make, without running your motor.

I wish we could trade a few degrees of temp. Your batteries are too cold, and my motor needs a little time between flights to cool down a few degrees. It was 86 F while flying today, and it is forcasted to be 95 F this weekend at our flying field. If we could trade about 25 F, we would both be happier. :-)  

If you have any questions on the JMP timer I will be glad to help. Will taught me well. ;-)

I hope your WX warms up soon. I'm sure you will have more fun flying your Clown off green grass while wearing your golf shirt.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »
I don't want to spoil the surprise, but check out Sergio's new Z-tron timer in the April issue of CLW. I can't say if it is as good or better than the JMP (I have never used the JMP), but it is much better than the 2nd generation Z-Tron timer. I think it will push my setups to a new level this coming season. They have been available through Windy Urtnowski or Bob Selman since January.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here