News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:05:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another battery question for the experts.  (Read 434 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another battery question for the experts.
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
I am currently building a new plane and it would be helpful to be able to run two batteries in parallel.  Is there any reason for not connecting two LiPol batteres in parallel.

Again opinions are always welcome.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Another battery question for the experts.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
RC guys do it -- they've even added it to the nomenclature: a "4S2P" pack has two packs of four series cells each in parallel.  I haven't done it myself, but my understanding is that as long as you use batteries with like number of cells and like chemistries you should be OK.  If you use two "identical" batteries purchased from the same place at the same time you should be as right as rain.

I'm a little surprised that you feel you need to do this -- is it to get the pack to fit?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
Andrew,

I believe Tim is correct. I'm no expert but I believe that when Li-po batteries are assembled at the factory they take care to match the characteristics of each cell so that during discharge the cells do not get too far out of balance. It would seem that if you have two packs (say S4 packs) you could run them in parallel providing that they were identical. I would guess that running a large capacity pack with a small one would be a major No NO. You would also have to rewire the balancing plugs to combine or be able to disconnect the two packs from each other in order to charge/balance them. Why not just use a pack of suitable capacity in the first place???
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
Hi Andy,
Ideally, you want to charge/balance both packs and then merge the balance connectors so the paralleled cells discharge as a single group.
You got a funny shaped battery compartment?
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Thanks guys, Dean I do have a strange battery compartment shape.  But the reason I am going with two batteries is the amount of stored capacity is in between 4000 and 5000 mhas.  With two 4S 2200 mhas I get very close to what I want and keep the weight down.  This plane is a twin and I can run each motor on its own battery, it Just adds to the complexity of the wiring.  I would like to run a single power rail for both ESC's to run off of, this cuts connections, connectors, and solder joints.   The whole balance issue gives me concern, I think I will just wire them up separately.

Thanks again.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
There seems to be a feeling (by some fairly smart folks) that longer battery wires are implicated in ESC failures.  From an electrical design standpoint I can't see this -- the last brushless motor controller that I helped design operated just fine on a 100 foot extension cord from its main 28 volt supply -- but it comes from people that are hard to ignore.

So if your motors are in nacelles, then having one battery per motor, mounted in the nacelles, would be a nice way to go. 

Even if the "long battery wires kills ESC" thing is an urban legend*, wires with lots of current flowing through them burn up power, and the longer they are the more power they burn up.  You can reduce the amount of power burnt by going to thicker wire, but -- that's "thick" as in "heavy". 

So short battery wires is good battery wires.

* There are some good solid reasons why long motor wires would kill ESCs, by the way.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:38:01 AM »
This topic came up with a local guy a day or two ago.  Using two batteries located on the wings distributes the structural load, so you can get away with a lighter wing structure.  You can also connect the two batteries with wimpy wire: #20 or less.  It only needs to keep the batteries in balance, unless you have a redundancy scheme to deal with a battery failure. I figure the average current would be about 100 mA from inside motor to outside motor for an average 15A/motor draw, 70-foot lines, and  one-foot motor spacing.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here