News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ..and still another profile  (Read 2429 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
..and still another profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
This one uses a "normal" 1/2" slab with 1/16" ply doublers.  The airplane is the profile version of my Hawker Typhoon, one of the features of that design is a large chin scoop - add on some sides and it makes a tidy battery box - still much smaller than a fuel tank would be.  Cut a pocket, made an access hatch and internallized the main electronics.  The Turnigy ESC is fitted with a CPU heat sink that pokes out the side, as do the motor wires.  The heat sink isn't really required, however exposing the heat sink to the air is required. 

The KR timer makes that possible to use up the old Turnigy ESC, also using a Turnigy Red/Blue series 3539 motor which can only be front mounted.  Mounting pattern is the same as normal 28xx motors.  Front mount made of G10 bolted to motor mountes and braced externally.  Main power hook-up and ON-OFF switch in plain view and easy access for the launcher/retriever.

Will have bolt-on wing, I'll post details on that when it gets that far along...

Thin is IN!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: ..and still another profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
Very nice!  I love the fun of trying to come up with clean installations of the electronics on a profile.
Jim Vigani

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »
Do you expect CG problems with the battery that far forward?  ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
Do you expect CG problems with the battery that far forward?  ???

Could be - but:

* I shortened the nose & lengthened the tail by about 5/8"
* I am using a relatively light motor (5.0 oz)  but I could downsize a little; an Arrowind 2815 weighs about .5 oz less.
* Should I need more help I can open up some space in the fusealge behind the scoop and slide the pack back a little more

X As a last resort there's always TAIL WEIGHT!   HB~>
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
Very Cool Dennis! I like the scoop!

Derek

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:35:41 PM »
Looks neat Dennis.If you paint it in Green British cammo are you going to nickname it "Froggy" LL~ LL~ Ribbitt....Ribbitt.......Kidding aside you just put another chapter in the E-Profile handbook.Jeff
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
I like it!!!    What reinforcing is in the battery "scoop"  will be a lot of forces on that during flight.

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
Dennis,
 I am suddenly remembering a part in the movie, The Mask. Where Jim Carey says " Somebody Stop Me !!"
            Bob

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
Sccop is anchored to 3/8 square hardwood on top, with 3/8" (max) thickness balsa block on bottom (tapered both ends) sides of scoop are lite ply.  It will get some cloth in the corners maybe even a partial bulkhead at the back.

Bob H: running out of profiles to do for now..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
  H^^ The plane reminds me of a British Typhoon?  ??? H^^

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »

it is a Typhoon.,.........so that is probably why HA

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »

Well, if you can recognize the airplane then it means it isa reasonably successful design! Of course the full size used that brutish Napier Sabre H-24 engine, and was the first Brit fighter to break 400 mph. Post war Napier was bench testing the Saber at something like 5500 HP  (think of it as 2 Griffons or 3-4 Merlins!)

Have toyed with the idea of doing this one up as a fictitious Unlimited Air Racer, (SABRETOOTH!), kind of a "what if" the monster Saber engine had ever got a chance to fly...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:47:42 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
I like it!
later,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
Hope you add finished photos of what it looks like painted.
Reall interested to see how that coeling with the holes in the sides affect the coloring

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
Nice plane Denny.  The Turnigy motors that are front mount only can be reversed.  I had one of the red motors in the PT-19 rear mounted.  You remove the bell and press the prop shaft to the rear and then you can rear mount it.  I seem to remember there are some lock screws or "C" clips but nothing a man of your enormous skills cannot manage.  I do like the slip in battery holder, the more we get away from converting IC kits and into designing electric kits from the git-go the more we will see designs like yours.   y1
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
Andy
These particular motors cannot be reversed without mods.  They actually ground down the 5mm shaft where it goes into the end bell down to 4mm.  INSANITY!  It is a nice "tweener" size that ought to be real strong on a 10" prop and adequate for an 11".  It is 1100 KV (too fast) so I plan on using one of the 11x4.5EP (maybe clipped to 10.5) turning 'round 11k.

Have been working on the wing, among other things I made it so the TE sweeps forward (improved aesthetics and shortens nose/lengthens tail) and put just a tick of dihedral in it.  The real Tiffie had a flat center section with mid-span dihedral break - that is to much of a PITA for a Profile!  Aside from being about 1.5-2 oz heavy its looking pretty good.

More pix in a day or three...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
Hey Denny!  Bet you're astonished to find ME looking in here!  I love the front end treatment, it really ads to the realism score on this ship!  Way to go.  Veeeeerrrrry creative. y1 y1 y1 y1 y1
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
New pix, of the removable wing set-up  There are screws holding it all together.  The keel of the fuselage is glued to the wind, then there are drywall screls into hardwood in front fo and behind the wing.  The bellcrank is installed over a piece of 1/4" heavy wall K&S tubing.  THe ID is near perfect fit for the 6-32 x 3" bolt that runs from the bottom of the fuse through the wing and into a blind nut in the fuselage.  Because the bolts attach in a different plain they keep the fuselage rigid and prevent rocking side to side.  The 3-point attachment discourages fuselage "snaking" side to side.  In total it is just about as stiff as it would be if glued in place.

The "easy 80%" is done, now for some sanding & filling prior to covering.  Color scheme still in question: camo is correct but a PITA, Could use the prototype pattern which was OD on top and yellow on the bottom: simple but boring.  Outside shot would be to make it an air racer - again its simpler than camo but calls for a leap of credibility!  Or maybe, Fleet Air Arm considered (but rejected) navalizing the Tiffie, could do the "what if" colors...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
too cool for school!!!!  looks great

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
Lots of thinking out of the box on this one. I admire your talent and innovation.  Very interested in how this project finishes up.  Way to go Dennis !   ;D
AMA 33676

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here