News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airlines and LiPo Batteries  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Airlines and LiPo Batteries
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:04:38 AM »
Hello,
Say, I would like to take six 5S 2800 mAh Thunder Power batteries with me while flying AA from New York to Zurich.
Is this allowed?

I have searched the web sites of several major airlines and could not find clear answers.

Thank you,
Matt

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
Re: Airlines and LiPo Batteries
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
FAA guidelines:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

I use a backpack style carrier for my Phantom 3 Pro quad on SouthWest airlines flights and carry 4 batteries with no issues.  They are in foam cutouts in the backpack so no real possibility of metal to battery contact issues.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Thank you all for your input.
In the meantime I have learned that the final verdict rests with the airlines and the security personnel.

These people are trained to deal with the most common issues concerning the majority of passengers. They have procedures clearly stating what is and what is not allowed in the checked and in the carry-on baggage.

Carrying the Lithium Polymer batteries for the electric model airplane is not addressed explicitly in the procedures the airlines and the security personnel use to verify their decision (below).

In the document titled: "Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers - Frequently Asked Questions;
Question1: What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?

Answer to Question1:
"Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery."

"Q3. How do I determine the watt hours (Wh) rating of a battery?
A3. To determine watt hours (Wh), multiply the volts (V) by the ampere hours (Ah). Example: A 12-volt battery rated to 8 Amp hours is rated at 96 watt hours (12 x 8 = 96). For milliamp hours (mAh), divide by 1000 (to get to Ah) and then multiply by the volts."

My comment: one 5S 2800 mAh Thunder Power is 53.2 Watt hour (3.8V per cell storage voltage assumed).

In Canada the problem is addressed on http://www.catsa.gc.ca/guidelines-batteries: the spare battery (singular! Is this typo or intentional limitation) is permitted only with air carrier approval. Transport Canada guidelines and the FAA guidelines have similar (but not the same) content that is presented in a slightly different way.

My comment: why is that? I feel nobody knows for sure.

Again, because carrying the Lithium Polymer batteries for the electric model airplanes is not addressed explicitly in the procedures, the personnel must use their own discretion to interpret the rules and, for many, this can be too difficult and too risky.

Human nature I suppose...

Regards,
M

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
I took two Lipos to Romania on 3 Airlines and no one asked me a single question. At check in in the Atlanta international they pulled out the battery out of the box checked to see whatever they check there and I was good to go after that. You might want to go to RC Groups as they have a much bigger community of flyers that travel with airlines.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
If the captain says "No!" they don't go...... :-[

Even though the regs say it's ok to take lipos as carry-on, at Dubai last year the lipos were confiscated at the scanning area.
The Worlds competitors had to buy new batteries when they arrived in Australia.

What some people are doing now is buy cheap Zippy Compacts at the destination they are flying at. Or you could get someone to buy them for you there.
Of course you'll have to give them away when you go home.

It's a bit "pot-luck" really.
Bandolero

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here