News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Am I getting super sensitive with age?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Am I getting super sensitive with age?
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
I'm on my secong full blown electric and I've noticed something curious and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.  My first electric while having some issues, showed some definate problem with the lines while in inverted flight.  There was a noticable vibration in the lines almost like I was flying on only one line.  The plane also hunted in both upright and inverted flight like you get when the controls are not really free and no trimming cured it.  The plane performed alright but usually easy higher scoring manouvers were testy to put it bluntly.  The newer ship ( a Hunt Crossfire) while being overweight due to a painting problem flies great.  After initial trimming, which took 3, 2 minute flights, the thing is in just about optimum trim.  After about 20 flights I noticed the same line vibration problem as soon as I got the plane inverted.  While running the lines I detected a slight kink in one of the lines.  Very slight but just barely noticable when running the lines.  I put my back-up set on and running the lines I again found a slight defect and the plane showed the same problem as soon as the lines were twisted in flight.  I made up another set and carefully checked the lines and found them to be perfect and he plane performed with no problems.  Has anyone else noticed a problem similar to this with electric powered planes?  I sure never had this problem with IC powered ships.  Could it be something to do with the lack of vibration from the power plant? 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Am I getting super sensitive with age?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:22 AM »
Look at your lines when you have this problem.  I wonder if one of them is oscillating when it has a particular combination of tension and maybe wake from the other line.  I've seen this with an IC-powered airplane, but the engine vibration might have masked my feeling the line vibration. I reckon it could have caused the line vibration, too. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
To your first question - no I have never noticed anything like this.  Have you tried wiping down the lines with alky?  Maybe their is a sticky spot somewhere.

With IC I (very rarely) had issues with individual lines that were twisted - acted like they were sticky. The fix was disconnecting the lines at one end and walking them out.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Alan,
Have you tried changing RPM? Although our electrics run very smooth there could be a harmonic that is hit at a particular rpm for your motor/prop/lines combination. I would move the rpm say 500 and see what happens. Could also try changing the prop to a different diameter or pitch. Let us know what happens.

Best,            DennisT

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »
Alan, funny you mentioned this . I switched to slightly longer lines last week. The ones I used were older and not pristine. I noticed them vibrating on my inverted laps but I put it off as wind or whatever. I'll try changing them to a pristine set to see if it goes away.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here