News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alan Hahn's latest electric project  (Read 1634 times)

Offline fred krueger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Alan Hahn's latest electric project
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
Rather than prepare for the high pressure  ;) 'This is only a hobby 1/2A contest' this weekend, Alan chose to create an electric powered pusher canard based on a Baby Skyray......unbelievable.  Check out the video.

Fred

Video has been removed.  See the update below.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:00:51 PM by Fred Krueger »

Alan Hahn

Re: Alan Hahn's latest electric project
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
Thank you Fred!

For those of you who are wondering what the big deal is, you should have been there yesterday,when I tried to fly it for the first time. Then I could get no more than about 1 foot before the plane would tumble. That was pretty discouraging to say the least! I had thought the balance point should be near the same point on the main wing (but reversed) as the balance point on a "normal" Baby Skyray.

I brought the plane last night to the TreeTown meeting to show and tell. Glenn Lee informed me that the balance point actually should be somewhere between the leading edge of the wing and trailing edge of the elevator. Well you can see what I had to do to achieve that balance. Actually I am flying only on one of the batteries--the other is along only for the ballast.

The first part of the video was just an attempt to see whether the plane would at least scoot along in an unpowered tether configuration. When I saw that it actually seemed to behave, I decided to go for power.

Iit flew pretty stably, but with all that weight up front, it felt pretty insensitive. I didn't dare try to stunt. I am not sure how much I can reduce the weight up front. Looks like I am going to have to fall back on the electric Baby Clown for Sunday's Contest.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »
Hin Alan,
This website calculator:
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_canard.htm
will allow you to calculate the neutral point ... that is the point of no return VD~
Youn want to be maybe 5% of a wing chord in front of that point.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »
Here's a video update on Alan's e-canard project.  I'm sure Alan will answer any posted questions. 
BTW, I trashed the old video so it will not show up on the YouTube link.

Fred
[youtube=425,350]UQXqbHMApiM[/youtube]

Advertise Here

Advertise Here