News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aerocommander Shrike  (Read 711 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Aerocommander Shrike
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
Greetings everyone  :)!  I figured I'd take this moment to post the latest project to "roll" off my workbench on its way to the flightline  ;)!  Actually, this is a project that I started back in 1991!  Talk about procrastination  ::)!!  I have no idea if this will fly but I'm sure "something" will happen  %^@!  It's been an interesting build especially because over the years (since 1986) I've kept a fairly complete log of all the models that I've built and I found the notes from when I started this one.  I decided to compile all of the notes into a single log containing only those notes related to this model.  What a process but it sure is an interesting read.  Anyway, here a few photos as it sits on the bench and once I get it to the field, if there's any interest, I'll post the results of the flight tests.  Who knows, maybe I'll be Blessed and able to bring it to Brodak's and the NAT's!!  What a thrill that would be for me ;D!!

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Aerocommander Shrike
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
Looks great and should be an attention getter.   I like twins and had often thought of Aerocommander Shrike.  Especially after I seen Bob Hoover do his show routine.   He had a lot of faith in that plane.  I await the flite report. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Looks great and should be an attention getter.   I like twins and had often thought of Aerocommander Shrike.  Especially after I seen Bob Hoover do his show routine.   He had a lot of faith in that plane.  I await the flite report. D>K
From what I've read from and about Bob Hoover, He didn't really have faith in the plane.  He had a lot of faith in good preparation, an intimate knowledge of aeronautics/aerodynamics, and a lot of faith in the air speed indicator.  All the maneuvers were mapped out with an exact airspeed at every key point in a maneuver.  Especially the dead stick horizontal eight.  He did have faith that the airplane wasn't going to fail catastrophically.  He never pushed it beyond the design limits.

It's kind of like what I remember reading from Tony LeVier, the test pilot for the Lockheed P-38 program.  He did a lot of fancy demos, mostly for the pilots learning to fly  the P-38.  They included engine out loops with either engine off, Cuban eights with one engine, and demoing the later speed brakes to counter compressibility effects.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
Thanks Doc!  It's funny though .... given how long it took me from start to finish,  how long do you think it will take for flight tests??   ;D ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
Hopefully before I leave this world. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here