News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advantages of common ESCs?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Advantages of common ESCs?
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
I have available Castle Phoenix Edge Lite 50 (new unused), a Castle Phoenix ICE 50 with data logging and heat sink fins (used but works fine), and a Jeti Spin 66 (new). I also  have an accelerometer from Igor (I think) and the Jeti box as well as the Hubin programming box. I am planning to use the current FM9 timer but may also pick up a Fiorotti timer with the blue LED. I want to try the accelerometer but it may or may not help my flying. I am OK with not using it.

This setup is for a modern 700-inch competition stunter that will be flown in competition in Advanced.

Anyone have comments about the relative merits of these 3 ESCs in this application? The ICE 50 did hundreds of flights in a 680 inch Legacy so I know how it works. I have the programming link and have the Castle software on my laptop and have experience programming the Castle ESCs.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Advantages of common ESCs?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »
Castle ESC works fine in non-active timers but is too slow in rpm changes for active timing.  When you use an active timer switch to the Jeti Spin.  Also when you use an active timer, use one of Igor's 3 blade hollow electric props or the rpm transition will be too slow.  I used other combinations for a while and learned by experience (slow trial and error) instead of by listening and reading.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:20:49 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
... but I don't really see the need to use one. ...

Paul Walker and Igor Burger use them.  What other reasons do you need? :)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
Fred, thanks for the helpful suggestions. It had not occurred to me that the quick power changes using an accelerometer may require a lighter prop.

I think Howard Rush also uses the active system. If I had the skills of Paul, Igor, Howard, and other top flyers I might be more inclined to use one too, but alas that is not the case. One of our locals here in NorCal has a Shark with the accelerometer, and has had trouble getting it dialed in despite having advanced knowledge of electrics and computers, to the point I think it detracts from his flying rather than adds to it. Still, the idea of a boost at the climb into the hourglass and some other points in the pattern is attractive. Luckily these systems are fairly easy to change out. BTW the motor is an OS 3825 750KV with TP 5-cell 2600 batteries.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
Fred, thanks for the helpful suggestions. It had not occurred to me that the quick power changes using an accelerometer may require a lighter prop.
BTW the motor is an OS 3825 750KV with TP 5-cell 2600 batteries.

Then I'll add the other part of the package, they work best with 6 cell packs.

Deceleration and control of windup may be more attractive than acceleration, and may be easier to use or set up.  There are enough users now that you can find help so it shouldn't be that difficult.
Fred

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
You might want to look at the KR timer.  Does not use an accelerometer but does seem to give good boost when loaded.

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index.php.  Go to Electric Flight Products and then Timer/Sequencers.

Also works with most any speed controller. Easy for non computer users, (old folks like me) to program.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Thanks all! I reckon I will use a Castle ESC with non-active timer. Later if I feel the need I can experiment with the Spin 66 and an active timer. And get one of Igor's magic props.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here