News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding a Finned Heat Sink  (Read 1283 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Adding a Finned Heat Sink
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
In a thread called “Heat is STILL the Enemy” I recounted my recent tribulations with an overheating ESC.  Well mindful of that experience and with a whole drawer full of Turnigy ESC’s on hand I set out to prempt the overheating experience.  Crist Righotti posted a link to somone's instructions on adding a heat sink, here's my similar approach showing how I added a modified CPU heat sink to a Turnigy ESC.

First step was to remove the shrink wrap from the ESC.  You can use a scissors or a knife, I found that I could slit it then gently tear it. (Pix file 004 & 006)

The Turnigy has a flat plate aluminum sink UNDER the shrink wrap.  It is not attached, but does have a thin silicone rubber pad under it.  I think the pad is part electrical insulator and partly for shock resistance – I left it in. (pix files 009 & 011)

I looked around for some CPU-thermal epoxy but none was to be had, however its pretty easy to find thermal ”grease”.  I applied that to the back of my finned heatsink (pix file 017) to improve the contact area between my add-on heatsink and the Turnigy’s aluminum plate.

I used some high-tech(!) heavy duty carpet thread to wrap & retain the finned heat sink in place.  I also added some tape for insulation of the battery leads and leads to the motor. (pix file 021)  The fins are very tall, probably a LOT more than I would ever need - but why not!  Each fin is roughly the same area as the "stock" alum plate on the Turnigy ESC. 

The modified ESC was then installed in the lower battery hatch of my Sheeks “Swinger”.  Only the fins protrude into the open air stream. However, the faux landing gear doors Do a pretty good job of keeping the heat sink out of view.

Have not flown the new set-up yet, but ground checks show substantially improved heat rejection, and the ability to hold a steady 100W OVER the intended flight power setting.

I think it will work..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Adding a Finned Heat Sink
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »
Very cool Dennis!  (pun intended)
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
Yeah - I get chills just looking at the pix     LL~

Seriously - I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my E-Ray Carrier
(80 Amp) ESC.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Dennis,
From those close ups of the front end, I'm curious as to what the entire plane looks like.
Alan

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
Sheesh, Alan, haven't you learned to NOT encourage me???   n~ LL~

OK, all seriousness aside: Jack Sheeks "Swinger" from Jan 1968.  Back then we flew for "Navy" judges!  Swept I-beam, 52oz, Rimfire 35-36-1200, 4s/3000 batteries, Will Hubin timer with remote switch.  Turnigy ESC (for now anyway!)

Don't know if I will EVER make it to Tucson, so I hope to fly it for Jack at FCM next month...

Crist, Mike - all those puns from GROAN adults....  b1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here