News:

• June 01, 2024, 09:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a123 early run down  (Read 1926 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
a123 early run down
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:42 AM »
I have been experimenting with electric using a motor out of a parkzone T28 that they advertise as a 480, 960Kv outrunner.  I have a set of timers from Will Hubin, the Igor timers, one set for 2 and 1/2 minutes to trim with and one set for 5 minutes.  I am using the black and decker a123 batteries (1200 mah) and a 30 amp esc.  I am trying this combo on a profile peacemaker that originally flew with a OS .20.  With a 3 cell pack I was able to get around 6000 rpm on a 9.75 electric prop.  On 44 foot lines it would fly but not well enough to do more than a few large loops.  I redid the battery pack to 4 cells and now I can get 7100 rpm which pulls the plane nicely.  The problem is I can only get 4 minutes out of the battery pack before it starts to run down.  After running a fully charged pack on the 2 and 1/2 minute timer and recharging it appears that I used 600 mah.  I recharged and figure a full 5 minutes should use less than 1200 mah because it doesn't have the initial higher voltage burst for the second half of the flight.  The problem is it starts running down to nothing at 4 minutes.  I thought you were supposed to be able to run the a123's all the way down.  Any ideas on why I can't get a full 5 minute run time?
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: a123 early run down
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
I have flown the A123 cells (the larger 2300mah) and I was able to draw down to about 90% before it would drop off and voltage was down to 2.8V per cell. One thing to check is the low voltage cutoff setting in the ESC. It could be set up for lipoly's that cut off at around 3.2V per cell. Since the A123's start at 3.4V (maybe a little higher off the charger but they quickly settle to 3.26V) it might be that under load you hit this quickly and it cuts off. For the A123's you can safely set the cutoff at 2.5V per cell.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
Also, the 18650 A123's are not 1200 mah - they are rated at 1100, and at high current they only really do about 950, at least the 8 that I have flown.  My 4-cell packs will equal the flight time of a 1300 mah, 3-cell LiPo at a slightly lower current draw and RPM.

Their advantage is that I can charge them in about 15 m. at the field.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you putting back in when you run them dead?

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
I don't know yet how much I'll put back in after a full run, I need to recharge them after yesterdays flight.  It takes me about an hour to charge them at 1.2 A after a 2 and 1/2 minute run.  How many amps are you charging at to be able to do it in 15 minutes?  I was able to charge the 3 cell pace with a zip charger in about 8 minutes but was told you can't zip charge 4 cell packs.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »
On the 2300mah pack I was able to charge at 9.5amps (that was the max the charger would push). The A123's can take 5C charge rate

Best,     Dennis

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »
Yeah, a 15 minute capable charger is not something you find cheap -

I use an old Astro 112 - it will charge up to 43 volts at 5 amps (actually runs at about 4.5 amps) from a 12 volt source.  I have it running through a (LiPo)Dapter to cut off the charge at full charge. 

If you could find a power supply with a 15 or 16 volt - 5 amp capability, you could zip charge with that.  Otherwise, your options are pretty limited.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:35:10 AM »
Just an FYI for anyone following this thread -

Last night, I ran both my 4-cell, A123 1100 packs until the ESC cut off (You can put the ESC in NiCad mode and it works pretty well for A123's.  If you leave it in LiPo mode, it will cut off way too soon.)

At any rate, the first run on each pack was fully charged but had been sitting on the shelf for some amount of time - perhaps 2 weeks.  Then I charged each on the FMA Cellpro 4s until it shut off, ran them again freshly charged, and then charged them again.

All four runs were set to the same current reading - although I don't think my shunt is reading correctly anymore, so although I tried for 25 Amp runs, it was probably more like 18 Amp.  But all were the same, anyway.  All four runs were between 3:35 seconds and 3:48 seconds.

All four charges were between 980 and 1000 mah:  Battery 1 took 993, then 987 mah.  Battery 2 took 981 and 995 mah.  So basically what this shows is that the capacity - at roughly 20 C. - is about 1000 mah.

I can also tell you that in my grandson's planes, we had no trouble getting either two runs of 2 minutes from freshly charged batteries, so probably were drawing in the 15 amp range.

All this to say that the reported drop off at  four minutes is not out of the ballpark for the actual performance of these cells.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
I charged my 4 cell pack this afternoon using 5A and it did charge to full in 12 minutes.  It took 866 mah.  I wonder if part of the reason I'm not getting more time is that the pack is unbalanced.  I added a new cell to a 3 cell pack and then charged it.  Just now, after charging the pack I checked the individual cells and I get 3.4, 3.4, 3.4 and 4.0 for a total of 14.2.  When I check at the connector it shows between 14.3 and 14.4.   I checked it before the charge as well and got readings of 2.9, 2.9, 2.9 and 3.2.  Even at 1100 mah capacity you would think I should get a little more out of these batteries.  I seem to be leaving about 250 mah "in the tank".
Jim Jorgensen

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
I charged my 4 cell pack this afternoon using 5A and it did charge to full in 12 minutes.  It took 866 mah.  I wonder if part of the reason I'm not getting more time is that the pack is unbalanced.  I added a new cell to a 3 cell pack and then charged it.  Just now, after charging the pack I checked the individual cells and I get 3.4, 3.4, 3.4 and 4.0 for a total of 14.2.  When I check at the connector it shows between 14.3 and 14.4.   I checked it before the charge as well and got readings of 2.9, 2.9, 2.9 and 3.2.  Even at 1100 mah capacity you would think I should get a little more out of these batteries.  I seem to be leaving about 250 mah "in the tank".

I don't know if you have a balancer, but I would use it. Another possibility is to charge the 3 original cells to their full charge, then add the 4th (fully charged). I think this will help, assuming they will tend to stay in balance.

I am not exactly sure of what your cutoff is. Is the ESC shutting down (due to a Low Voltage cutoff), or does the power simply "poop-out" and you end up flying around at very low power levels. The LVC might be adjusted as I think Mike A. has mentioned.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
Jim, it is ALL WRONG. you cannot have 4.0V on one cell, the pack is unballanced. The 3.4V is usual voltage when charging, the battery has that voltage almost all time of charging, so it does not indicate the capacity already in. The voltage jumps up very quicly on end of charging, so that last cell is more charged and the voltage quicly jumps up and prevents proper charging of those others. Try to charge it with ballancer and if you do not have, then charge all cells separately. I note end voltage is 3.6V ... 4V is bad for your cells.

From my experience, if you once ballance the battery well and if you extensively use it, it not needs any ballancing anymore. But it if you store it for longer time, you will need to ballace it again before usage. So I reccoment either to use ballancer, or to check votlage time to time immediatelly after charging.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
the situation is it just runs down or poops out over about 5 laps until there's not enough power to keep it up in the air.  I was afraid that the unbalanced cell would be a problem.  I don't have it wired for a balancer although my charger will balance a pack wired for it.  I think I'm going to rewire the pack so it will balance.  Maybe that will solve the problem.  By the way Igor, I really like the timers.  Will Hubin set them up for me.  Are they supposed to spool up the engine after only 5 or 6 seconds?
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
the situation is it just runs down or poops out over about 5 laps until there's not enough power to keep it up in the air.  I was afraid that the unbalanced cell would be a problem.  I don't have it wired for a balancer although my charger will balance a pack wired for it.  I think I'm going to rewire the pack so it will balance.  Maybe that will solve the problem.  By the way Igor, I really like the timers.  Will Hubin set them up for me.  Are they supposed to spool up the engine after only 5 or 6 seconds?

That does not sound like the batteries - A123 cells have a very distinct "Knee" in the discharge curve if the load is constant.  I suspect that your speed control is programmed to "decrease power" rather than to "hard cutoff".  Additionally, if you have the ESC programmed for LiPo's, then they will look like weak LiPo's very soon to the ESC.  Be sure that you program a hard cutoff and if your ESC "auto sense" s the number of cells, then set it up for NiCd/NiMH, rather than LiPos.  If you can program a cutoff voltage, rather than a number of cells, then program it for about 2.75 volts / cell or so.  Really, with A123's, you can't really hurt them by setting the cutoff too low, because they will very quickly fall through the cutoff voltage at the end of the capacity.  The real answer is to have the timer shut things off before the ESC senses the cutoff voltage.  That is the key to protecting your battery, whether it is LiPo or A123.

One of my packs has a stubborn cell, like yours that shows 4.0 volts.  I had to leave it on the FMA Cellpro charger for quite awhile while it charged the other 3 cells and kept the higher one discharged.  When the charge was done, they all read 3.6 volts. It is really annoying, because it often sends the FMA into "Safety Charge" mode ( at .5 amp, rather than 3 amp).  There are other chargers that will balance charge without the "auto safety" features, which protect LiPo's but only slow down the charge on A123s.  I would also recommend that you get a balancing charger or a separate balancer that can be plugged in while you charge.  This will keep the stubborn cell under control.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
I rewired the pack with a balancer pigtail and the charger balancer indicates it is connecting.  However it gets up to about 13.8 volts and gives me an unbalance warning 2.5 volts.  I discharged it for 10 minutes and started the charge again at .5 amps but it gave me the same warning at about the same voltage.  I though the whole purpose of the balancer was to prevent this and get all cells to balance.  What do I need to do to get this pack to balance?  Is one cell just so far out it won't balance or am I doing something wrong here?
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
I rewired the pack with a balancer pigtail and the charger balancer indicates it is connecting.  However it gets up to about 13.8 volts and gives me an unbalance warning 2.5 volts.  I discharged it for 10 minutes and started the charge again at .5 amps but it gave me the same warning at about the same voltage.  I though the whole purpose of the balancer was to prevent this and get all cells to balance.  What do I need to do to get this pack to balance?  Is one cell just so far out it won't balance or am I doing something wrong here?

Well it looks as if this pack is determined to be a problem child.  The technician in me says that something changed when you added the balance connector: before it charged up to 14.2 volts but the cells were not balanced; Now it charges to 13.8 volts and the charger pukes.  So the balance connector MAY not be correctly wired in (How many pins does it have?).  Your phrase "... gives me an unbalance warning 2.5 volts" isn't real clear to me what your observations are.  What charger do you have and do you have any packs that work correctly with it?  I assume you are aware that for a 4 cell, your balance tap must have 5 pins.  I also assume that since your charger tries to charge, you must have the polarity correct.

To check the pack, I would individually discharge each cell to 3.0 volts, if possible.  You would need some kind of "load resistance" that would handle a couple of amps - a couple of 1 ohm, 10 watt resistors in series would draw about 2 amps initially from a partially charge cell ( ~3.4 volts across 2 ohms = ~ 1.7 Amps @ ~6 watts or ~3 watts per resistor).  You would want to use a fairly heavy wire and alligator clips and be aware that the resistors will get pretty warm.  Put the load across one cell at a time and put a voltmeter across the load - watch for about 3.0 volts to go by and disconnect the load.

When you've "hand-balanced" all four cells, you can try to charge again, but frankly I would expect that it would act the same.  Things seem to be pointing to some kind of wiring problem or a problem in the charger itself.

Sorry I can't be more help long distance, but would be glad to get your pack and charger on my bench and check it out for you, if you wish to go through the hassle of sending it.  I've done lots of battery pack building and have the equipment to figure out which end is which.  There would be no charge, of course, except the cost of shipping it.  You can send me a pm or an email (mikeainia "at" iowatelecom.net) to arrange it if you decide to.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »
thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it if I can't figure this out.  I did put a 5 pin connector on it.  Red wire to the positive end of battery 1, next 3 black wires in series to positive end of each battery with 5th black wire to negative side of 4th battery in series.  I'm using a thunder power TP-610 C charger with an internal balancer.  It shows that the balancer is connecting while it is charging which leads me to believe it is wired properly.  I'm going to try discharging the pack and then recharging it at .5 amps to let it charge slowly and maybe it will balance.  If not I'll probably be sending it to you. 
Jim Jorgensen

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
Well, success of a sort, at least with balancing.  After checking the pack all cells were indicating 3.4 volts.  I ran it down till the engine lost all power and rechecked and they had not all run down equally.  I then recharged at 2.5 A and got an error message at around 14.3 volts of charge.  I unhooked the balancer and started the charge again and was only able to put in another 25 mah before it indicated full.  Total mah input around 890.  Checking the individual cells they were all within .2 volts of each other.  Unfortunately I still don't get more than 3 and 1/2 minutes of run time out of the 4 cell pack.  This is not a real problem except I don't like coming down with the engine still running, I'd rather have a clean cut off.  I may just have to have the timer reprogrammed. 
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Jim, equivalent voltage on A123 does not tell whole storry. You must be sure that voltage is equal when the battery is CHARGED ... means you must see 3.6V on all cells. If you are not sure if your balancer works well, then charge every cell SEPARATELY ... then you are sure that every cell is charged full. Then you can start testing. Do not try discharge or charge unballanced battery - you will damage cells.

From my experience - I fly approximately 95% of battery capacity and it means I charge back aproximately 2100mAh after every flight. Real measured capacity is only little over 2200 at 10A but we fly at 20A.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
Igor has it right - and he's been flying A123's longer than any of us.  And I still don't understand the error message your timer is putting out, but it seems that it is significant.  The new cell must still be a troublemaker as far as balancing goes.

Also, I would get a timer with an easier to adjust run-time - we've been flying half a dozen of Will Hubin's various timers around here all year - The ability to twiddle a pot for run-time and power level (rather than go into programming mode) has proven to be a real plus over the JMP.  I've got a z-tron, but haven't yet gotten it out and flown it.  I have flown the JMP, though, and find that rather than reprogram the run time at the field, I just put the plane away and try to remember to do it at home.  Usually I forget, so I get out to the field without having fixed anything.  The z-tron also has an easier to program run-time - just by flipping switches.

(Also, I thought that it was possible to reprogram Igor's timers for run-time ?? Not easy, maybe, but possible.) 

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here