News:

• May 17, 2024, 06:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A New Bi-Slob  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
A New Bi-Slob
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
Gonna havta build a new 'Slob. Yesterday in Clanton flew most of a tank down wind when I decided to make a lap. The wind was rough and threw the airplane back at me. Knocked the gear off and snapped the fuselage in two and broke the spars up in the bottom wing. Discovered all was pretty much fuel soaked. Gonna salvage the hardware burn the rest and this time buy a kit instead of an ARF Hopin' ya'll have a merry Christmas. God bless  -  Nick

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
Re: A New Bi-Slob
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:41:33 AM »
I see I screwed up and put this in the wrong place and don't know how to correct my goof up

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »
I see I screwed up and put this in the wrong place and don't know how to correct my goof up

There is an easy way out - just build the NEW Slob as an electric, then you can leave your posts HERE!    :o  ;D   8)   010!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
OK, as of now, that will be my intent. So, what motor would = a fox .35 in pwr?

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
The one I'm building will use the Brodak Super Clown power system & a 10x5 prop:
* Arrowind 2815 motor, kv=1300
* 3s x 3300 Lipo pack
* Arrowind 35A ESC
* Hubin FM-0c timer
* APC 10x5 prop, but that could change for a 11x4.5Pusher clipped down from the 11x4.5
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »
I guess going electric with the timer will cure the accidents that happen once in a while.   My mishap was losing concentration.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
Dennis,
I've thought about an electric Bi-Slob but wasn't sure if it would do the fan dance/hover as the ones powered by the old Fox 35. Does yours do it?

Best,              DennisT

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
Dennis,
I've thought about an electric Bi-Slob but wasn't sure if it would do the fan dance/hover as the ones powered by the old Fox 35. Does yours do it?

Best,              DennisT

I dunno yet - mine is waiting for covering.  I am not too concerned about that, have seen many IC Slobs that fly relatively fast but can still be stalled out to hover mode.

Bob Branch has his ready to fly, but winter closed in on him before he got to try it.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
OK, Talked me into it - I'm getting excited about the conversion and as soon as I get back home I'll go to Graceland Hobbies in Selma, Al and order what I need. Could order direct but like to support thne local Hobby Shop. Came out of retirment for a couple of months and right now am setting in Bay Minette, Al with a hundred foot concrete power pole on the back of a big truck. Didn't want to stay with it this long but the money is to good for my wife to let me back out. Thanks for the response and the advice.   Nick

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
Dennis,
I think the trick to get it to fan dance with more power is to have an adjustable leadout slider that allows you to just keep moving the leadouts rearward until it doe what you want. I saw this done with a Ringmaster where they attached a line to the tail and in essence pulled the tail in to adjust the thrust vector to pull out more and forward less (same as moving the LO's back) it worked great.

Best,            DennisT

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
As Dennis mentioned I have an electric slob ready to fly... pending being able to fly. When the season turns off in Michigan it does it very quickly.
Power is a turnigy G-15 motor. They are trying to class it as equivalent to a .15 glow motor but as every other company has done when they do this they have grossly overpowered the electric motor. Like trying to class an Axis 2826/12 as a .25.... NOT! At any rate weight is a better determinate of what kind of power is in the thing. Its a 5.3 oz motor so you can work it out from there. I am using the 950 kv variant and battery is a turnigy 4s 2200 mah pack. The esc is a phoenix 45 and the timer is a Hubin fm9. I had set the plane up with an Evo .36 at first but never flew it that way. Converted it to electric instead but that is the reason for some of the obviously nonelectric cutouts. I'm starting with a 10X6P prop and will see where I have to go to depower it enough for it to hold in a hover. What I can't do by setting rpm I will do with prop changes. I am really doing this out of curiosity to see if it will work at all. My concern is the governor will overpower what is really needed just to hover, but there is really not a way to know for sure til I fly it. When the weather breaks enough I will but who knows when that will be.

Access to the battery compartment is thru the fuel tank hatch. I have placed a latch on it to lock it down. As you can see I cut open the bottom under the fuel tank floor and mounted the electronics in there.

bob branch

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Bob, Looks good.

Out of curiosity, where does your CG come out with this set up??? I have an ARF BiSlob sitting the box but I was planning to use an old Fox 35 Stunt in it (which would be my first IC model since I started going electric control line back in 2006  ;D). May change my mind and go electric assuming your's and Dennis' turn out to be classic BiSlob fliers with electric power.  y1
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
John

I am out of town right now in DC visiting my first grandaughter for her first birthday... you know, the cake in the ear one. I will get some numbers when I get home but will not make any firm determinations til I fly it because there is no reference that is accurate. The book numbers are for glo without fuel. That does not translate to anything that is meaningful for me. Like I always do I'll go out and fly it and then adjust from there. Since there is no requirement to get a particular amount of time in for a flight as there is in flying the pattern, I'll just adjust the timer to whatever works for the battery I wind up choosing. I would not be suprised at all if I wind up going to 3S for this plane as excess power is not what I expect to be needing. Its all part of the trim process.

bob branch

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I suspect that a bunch of us are waiting for some flight results before we leap into going electric with a Bi-Slob!!!  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
John

Personally, I think that would be a good move. I only did it cause I decided I really did not want to contaminate the poor covering job done on the arf with fuel and then convert it, so I did the conversion first. If it doesn't work then I'll recover the fuse and convert it back to glow. I've considered it for over a year and felt it probably would not work. But Dennis related to seeing some at Brodak flying faster and still being able to get the stall, so I shall see. It will also give me a chance to evaluate the bearings in this new series of T motors and I should lean some more about the governor. I'll post when I have gotten some airtime.

bob branch

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
It is all in how fast can you move the controls to slow it down.   First time I flew mine with the Fox it was fast and I did manage a hang on the down wind side.   Then I richened the Fox as it did get a little warm in the hang.  With the new fangled gizmo's of electric you should be able to dial in the flight you want and have it be consistent.   Just think more cleaning fluid or rags. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
John
Don't be so sure.... those slimy electrons are pretty tough to clean off. And the grass stains without castor oil on the plane? Man those are tough!

:Pbob branch

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
You are not suppose to be bruising the grass. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
Bob is normally VERY conscientous of replacing his divots...   VD~   S?P   n~   LL~   LL~   LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
What divots. I just drill holes!!!   LL~
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags: