News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A little help on mounting motors  (Read 684 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
A little help on mounting motors
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
I am going to go with two motors on my ME 262. I would like to mount them on the inside of the jet pods so I can keep the profile when looking at it from the side. Is there a way to mount the motors to the inside? Perhaps a commercial mount?  The pods are going to be covered both sides with 1/32 ply, and act as the main gear mounts as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:41:14 PM by jjorgensen »
Jim Jorgensen

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: A little help on mounting motors
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
Jim,

I assume that you mean that you want to mount the motors on the side next to the fuselage of what is essentially a profile jet pod (as in your photos).

Here is what Crist Rigotti shows as his mount for the new electric he is building on his thread. This looks to be a neat, light and strong way to do the mount.

On another note, you need to think about how you want to route the wires from your ESCs out to the motors.  ;D

Hope Crist does not mind my re-posting his photos here.

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
I intend to mount the esc's behind the motors on the inside of the jet pods with a y connector to the timer and a single battery mounted on fuselage.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »
Jim,

Take care, you do not want the wiring from the battery to the ESC to be too long or you may blow the ESC!!  n1

You should check threads about this here and on RC forums. ESC to motor length is usually not a problem but long battery to ESC leads can be. It would probably be better to mount the ESCs on the fuselage and have a short Y connection to the battery.

See this thread: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=28257.0
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
With electric powered it should be a snap to mount the motors to the inside surface of the jet pods.   No muffler to worry about or the fuel tanks.   Just reverse he construction on the  outboard jet pod.  Would have done it with IC engines, but the muffler threws a snag in the works.  Even with the engines that have cylinders that can be rotated.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
(Take care, you do not want the wiring from the battery to the ESC to be too long or you may blow the ESC!!   

You should check threads about this here and on RC forums. ESC to motor length is usually not a problem but long battery to ESC leads can be. It would probably be better to mount the ESCs on the fuselage and have a short Y connection to the battery.)

Would there be any disadvantage to using two smaller batteries, one for each motor, mounted to the engine pods with the escs, with the esc leads linked to the timer mounted on the fuselage with y connector? Or would that lower the CG too much?

Jim Jorgensen

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Hi Jim,

There might be a weight penalty. You would not be able to use the battery for correcting the CG and may end up adding nose weight.

You would need to leave plenty of head room on the battery capacity to avoid having one motor winding down while the other is still at full bore (could also be a problem with one battery if you push the capacity too much).

Why not just run the ESC to motor leads from the fuselage to the motors. It is recommended that you twist the three leads to minimize interference (should not be problem). For the twin that I am building, I ran a 1/2" tunnel through the wing and will thread the motor leads through that.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here