News:

• May 20, 2024, 02:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A concern for anyone flying to competitions with an electric model  (Read 4330 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Came across this today.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/19/british-airways-may-be-banning-laptops-phones-and-other-lithium-ion-battery-devices-after-boeing-787-fires/

Although not mentioned specifically I'm sure they mean us as well. I would expect other airlines to be looking at this.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A concern for anyone flying to competitions with an electric model
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
Let the media blow everything out of proportion as usual.  The battery in question had nothing to do with baggage.  He stated it was a battery built into the plane.  Nothing like more scare tactics.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:39 AM »
I am sure it will all be worked out.  Carry on may be possible.  Special containers may be approved. And you can always ship via ground ahead of time.  The big problem is not contest but buying new battries.  If they must be shipped as hazard material it will drive up the cost.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
Ship via ground? The last time I went to the P.O. I was asked "is any thing liquid, flamable, spoilable, Lithium ion batteries...etc". So much for that cr@9!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:58:03 AM »
Just curious - doesn't glow fuel have similar restrictions?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »

Good point Dennis!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:20:45 AM »

That is correct Dennis, you have never been able to ship glow fuel thru the airlines, or the  P.O. , , or at least for as long as I can remember, that was and still is a NO NO

The UPS jumbo jet that crashed a while back from the lithium battery fire got the attention of freight carriers like FED EX and UPS, They have also been incidents with cell phone and laptops with battery fires. It seems the passenger airlines also are looking at this closely .
It is so bad now, and has been for a while, that you cannot have anything in your airplane carry case that has had fuel in it, or carry LiPos, engines, empty fuel tanks, and mufflers/pipes are banned.
It was several years back that the FAA  issued a ban on airliners carrying lithium batteries in bulk, this is maybe an offshoot of that FAA directive.
Randy

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
---and believe me I was NOT trying to pick any fights or anything like that.  It was just a question - and hopefully puts this concern in perspective.  We get our glow fuel (or the raw ingredients) via surface transport, it seems our Lipo's will endure the same restrictions.  Historically our F2B teams have had a history of having a hard time getting fuel transported to WC's & such, it seems like with Lipo's that will still be the case.

It is going to be interesting to see HOW the FAA can allow Lipo's in Cellphones, laptops & carry-ons but not in the cargo bay.  Maybe they will inflict some kind of size or weight limits on how many can be shipped?

BTW, the 787 battery issues appear to be caused by a problem in the charging & peak detection and thermal sensors, leading to overcharging - not a unprovoked failure of the packs.  I had also heard that they were NiCads - not Lipos - but that seems like an odd choice given their fixation on weight. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
  I had also heard that they were NiCads - not Lipos - but that seems like an odd choice given their fixation on weight. 

Not suprising consedering how long it takes to get FAA aprovial on anything.  Lipos are new compaired to NiCads.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
The batteries in the 787 are Lithium-Ion. This is the same that's in cell phones and laptops etc.

When I went to the Worlds last year I shipped my Lipos by a company called "Pack N Send", they specialize in dangerous goods.

When I came home I just gave the batteries away. (5 of them).
Bandolero

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
BTW, the 787 battery issues appear to be caused by a problem in the charging & peak detection and thermal sensors, leading to overcharging - not a unprovoked failure of the packs.  I had also heard that they were NiCads - not Lipos - but that seems like an odd choice given their fixation on weight. 

Since I design circuits, and write software for deeply embedded microprocessors, and since I occasionally do this for LiPo charging systems, this particular issue is of interest.  I've been following what's been said in the media on this, both general and what little has shown up in the electronics industry media.  The were LiPos, and it's generally recognized that the problem was with the charging system.

Clearly, someone done messed up.  But LiPo batteries have such a huge advantage in aviation that someone was going to try to make them work sooner or later.  Boeing is just on the leading edge of this, and the leading edge can cut.  (Cynical engineers call it the "bleeding edge" for that reason). 

Stay tuned -- if I were a betting man I'd bet that we are soon going to hear that Thales (who designed the charge management system) has a bug in their software that's responsible for the whole thing.  Or that they have a problem in their hardware that they can fix with a software modification.  If it wasn't Thales, then it could be a breakdown in communications between Yuasa and Thales, meaning that Thales did just what they were told was right, but that the batteries don't like the result.  Also possible is that Yuasa got the charge parameters wrong, and then (properly) communicated the wrong thing. Whether it's Thales, Yuasa, Boeing or some other sub-contractor is an open question (and one that may never get answered to our satisfaction -- if the finger-pointing starts in earnest you can bet that the fix is going to take a long, long time to get implemented).

I'm just hoping that LiIons don't end up getting branded as impossibly dangerous.  I don't think you're going to find anything that packs that much energy into that little volume that doesn't have some sort of safety problem (how about using gasoline-powered fuel cells, instead?).  No matter what, if you cram that much energy into that much space, in a way that you can get it out quickly, you're making it so that nature can get it out quickly, too -- and nature is a bit of a pyromaniac in situations like this.

I have heard that the FAA is working on regulations for packaging of LiIon batteries so they can be shipped by air -- but I can't be sure of the source, so consider it a rumor.

Searching on FAA lithium battery gets a slew of interesting results, although there's not much recent material there.  If you look at the dates, though, you'll see that lithium battery shipping woes didn't start with the 787.  I did find this link to an FAA document dated 2008 that pretty much says that you can't carry big LiIon batteries anyway: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/aircarrier_info/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf.  So the restriction against LiIon batteries isn't at all new in FAA-land.

(Come to think of it, searching on shipping lithium battery or shipping lithium battery by air may help).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
If I can remember the article that I read correctly, Cessna ? tried it first in the CJ4 business jet, got a waiver on the technology because they were first (an unknown quantity, but not proven unsafe as yet) and it passed all the ground lab tests, but the in service record was a failure. Evidently, Boeing thought they were smarter than Cessna, and also passed all the ground lab tests. Once again, it seams real life testing was harder on them and more varied than the ground lab tests. Using the ground support power carts is supposed to be rare on the big bird, but I guess it can go awry when the guy running the cart sets the voltage wrong for a given plane too... whoops. Probably a few more failure modes they haven't figured out yet. Unfortunatley the organic's (humans) can't be trusted, heh.

Funny story, a buddy at the field had a new bad lipo pack, and I asked him what he was going to do with it.  His quick response before he thought about it was "Send it back". I said, are you sure about that? Then we both had a good laugh. Think about it. Shipping healthy, factory packaged LiPo's are one thing, but would you really want to send back a defective one without the foam cradle and take the chance of downing the UPS plane? Eeeeek!

I'm not sure how manufacturers will handle this. The right thing to do I guess is take the end user at their word, tell them to dispose of the old one themself and just send a new one gratis... or they could send a call tag for pickup via ground truck frieght if they are state side. I dunno. That one's above my pay grade.

EricV

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
Eric,

You bring up a good point about shipping faulty packs to the manufacturer. There is a way to "kill" the packs before sending them back. It amounts to driving a spike through it and drowning it in salt water. I have not done this yet nor have I seen any video showing the proper way to do this only read about it.

My concern is to see how its is to be done safely. If someone has a procedure and video that could be posted it would help the E power community. Manufactures will have to find a way to have their customers do some testing to verify the problem and then receive the "killed" battery pack for replacement.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
I have successfully rendered a lipo pack inert using the method you describe. The process produced no drama at all. The battery was severely damaged in a crash. One cell had been shorted (only temporarily it seems...as the conductors involved all melted instantly (vaporized)....including a half inch diameter place in the poly/foil outer sheath of the cell in question). It did not catch on fire or explode during or after the damage occurred, even though that one cell must have vented its methane buildup. After letting it sit for a day on a large, grassless, bald patch of earth just off my circle (next to my pond...tank in N. Texas), I discharged the pack to 0 volts using a 50 watt 20 ohm resistor and then very carefully....with welding gloves and helmet/mask drove a LARGE nail through it that I used to use as a guy anchor for my contest shade. Of course, nothing at all happened when I did that. I actually felt a little silly in that get-up. I did soak the skewered pack in salt water for a day as well (before disposing of it), but I am not certain that was actually necessary.

Bob
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Eric Viglione

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »
I believe this is the effect you are trying to avoid... I'd be careful where you apply the nail, and if this didn't happen, you probably missed the cell?

EricV

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
I just knew the glow guys were going to find a way to drive a stake through our hearts! I feel just like a vampire... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ n~

Bob Hunt %^@

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
I believe this is the effect you are trying to avoid... I'd be careful where you apply the nail, and if this didn't happen, you probably missed the cell?

EricV

When the video is done, it looks just like the 787 battery packs.

PS.  If the LiPo pack is discharged or minimally charged, does anything happen when it is disturbed?
Steve

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »
I just knew the glow guys were going to find a way to drive a stake through our hearts! I feel just like a vampire..

Now you know why I fed you garlic.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
Well to me another scare tactic of which someone didn't follow procedure.  Can't remember how long ago it was or who it was, but remember several times of metal fuel cans exploding when a battery terminal came in contact with the can.   That was the only explanation and a reason to use plastic jugs for fuel.   I never seen it but was shown pictures of the vehicle afterwards.  Also remember the guys that used to put their Ni-starter in the pants pocket after starting and engine. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
I received a pack with a bad cell (or wire?) from Hobby King.  They had me send a photo of the battery hooked up to a voltmeter with all the wires visible in the photo (to avoid cheating!).  They then gave me full credit in my account.  I soaked the battery in water for a week and added it to my next toxic waste disposal trip.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
It IS acceptable to bring li-po batteries in carry on luggage. When I went to Bulgaria last year I shipped 2 ahead to Igor. I the took 1 in my carry on baggage. I followed TSA's requirements for transport. It was in a sealed clear plastic container with the Dean's connector plugged.
When I went through TSA in Seattle the conveyor stopped and they spent some extra time looking at my bag. The person reviewing the scans called over another agent to look at it. He looked at it and said, "it's a battery.....long pause here....but he prepared it per our requirements....It's OK".

Again it was checked in Paris with no issues. On the trip back I got bold and brought all 3 batteries back. No issues in Sofia nor Paris. In fact, in Paris I didn't even remove them from the carryon backpack they were in. I was standing at the pick up side of the scanner there and could clearly see the batteries.

There is a limit on the amount of lithium that can be carried on, but these li-po's fall well short of that level.

Once again, carry on is OK, but nothing allowed in checked baggage.

I hope the 787 problem isn't going to change this policy.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
It IS acceptable to bring li-po batteries in carry on luggage. When I went to Bulgaria last year I shipped 2 ahead to Igor. I the took 1 in my carry on baggage. I followed TSA's requirements for transport. It was in a sealed clear plastic container with the Dean's connector plugged.
When I went through TSA in Seattle the conveyor stopped and they spent some extra time looking at my bag. The person reviewing the scans called over another agent to look at it. He looked at it and said, "it's a battery.....long pause here....but he prepared it per our requirements....It's OK".

Again it was checked in Paris with no issues. On the trip back I got bold and brought all 3 batteries back. No issues in Sofia nor Paris. In fact, in Paris I didn't even remove them from the carryon backpack they were in. I was standing at the pick up side of the scanner there and could clearly see the batteries.

There is a limit on the amount of lithium that can be carried on, but these li-po's fall well short of that level.

Once again, carry on is OK, but nothing allowed in checked baggage.

I hope the 787 problem isn't going to change this policy.

Sounds like electric is the way to travel. No mystery fuel when you arrive, no smell to worry about, easy to bring multiple replacement parts, props are 3 bucks each....

Derek

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here