News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:14:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A BENEFICIAL DISCUSSION ABOUT I.R.  (Read 574 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
A BENEFICIAL DISCUSSION ABOUT I.R.
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »
I believe that  measuring,  understanding and applying knowledge of the I.R.(Internal resistance) of my batteries is the single greatest  thing I need  to  learn in order to achieve long battery life and the  performance I desire in my electric aircraft ;U/C and R/C.

I treat my batteries very well , but  as expected,notice variations between
 manufacturers, cell # s and  size (mAh).   Similar  batteries of the same manufacturer are not created equal. Cells are not always matched, etc. , etc.

When does the IR tell us "times up" on this pack ? And  no, I don't want to wait to the airplane won't lift of the ground.

I read the R/C forums all the time and very little is said there.

I'm hoping a person such as   Dean can enlighten us. ???

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: A BENEFICIAL DISCUSSION ABOUT I.R.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
Hi Frank,
Yes, a much longer answer is forthcoming ... but,
1) different constructions/capacities/brands/ etc will "normally" show difference cell resistances.
2) cell resistances drop during the battery break-in period ...
3) assume a relatively stable or slowly rising value with number of charge-discharge cycles ...
4) and start to rise more rapidly at life's end.
5) high temps lower cell resistance and vice-versa. The resistance vs temp relationship is a strong one.
6) comparisons must be done at the same state-of-charge. i suggest the storage voltage.
7) Record keeping is the answer.

later,
 Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
6a) comparisons must be made at the same internal temperature and state of charge?

It seems like a more pragmatic approach would be to note the charge needed at the end of each flight, along with pack temperature.  If you're going to keep records anyway, noting down conditions for each flight ("windy", "calm", etc.) along with charge needed, and how the battery felt when hefted or how the temperature measured, would get you a lot of interesting information about trends (and a lot of other things) without needing sophisticated measurement gear.

Just start keeping a record of each flight, like a friend of mine that does indoor free-flight and notes the size and vintage of the rubber used, the torque wound to, and the flight duration.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:09 PM »
Hi Dean,
Thanks for sharing your insights  and knowledge regarding  the mysteries of  I.R. .

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »
Ok I'll ask. How are you measuring the internal battery resistance? An ohm meter is out of the question because you'd blow the fuse or meter. You gotta be using ohms law to do the math would be my guess. But what voltage would you use ? The charged voltage or the discharged voltage?

R=EI
                       resistance is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi Bob,
The better chargers do this by pulsing some current either into and then out of the battery (that is back and forth like a small AC current) and then measuring the voltage difference that results.
That AC current is imposed on top of the DC charging current, or in some cases, the test happens after the storage charge is achieved.
Comparing the fully charged resistances is also meaningful, but most often it's done at either half-charge or storage charge.

Yeah, Tim ... it's a drag if you want to do it to the nines.
Fortunately, we don't need to be anal: checking the resistance at room temp, at home after the day's flying, at storage charge, every so often will provide the battery health info we need.
You might also develop a good sense of what to expect for a known, often encountered, condition like reading whatever the charger gives you, after a charge that was started soon after a flight on a nice Summer day.
Comparing those readings will tell a story.

later, Friends ...
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here